Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Downloading Tarot Cards.  (Read 1932 times)

AradiaRose

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Downloading Tarot Cards.
« on: December 18, 2011, 12:12:46 am »
I am a beginner in regards to Tarot and I'm also extremely poor (i.e., I have negative money right now while I wait for my new job to start in about a month). I'm interested in trying Tarot to see if it's a process that speaks to me and I stumbled upon a site that had decent images of the Rider-Waite deck: http://altreligion.net/?page_id=12. They're meant to be colored in, which I plan to do.

Are there any issues that can arise from this plan? To my knowledge, the Rider deck is not under copyright so it breaks no government law to do so, but I'm interested in hearing from those more experienced in Tarot what they're thoughts would be.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.Rumi

Blogging at: aradiarose.tumblr.com

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Downloading Tarot Cards.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 01:07:46 am »
Quote from: AradiaRose;35207
I am a beginner in regards to Tarot and I'm also extremely poor (i.e., I have negative money right now while I wait for my new job to start in about a month). I'm interested in trying Tarot to see if it's a process that speaks to me and I stumbled upon a site that had decent images of the Rider-Waite deck: http://altreligion.net/?page_id=12. They're meant to be colored in, which I plan to do.

Are there any issues that can arise from this plan? To my knowledge, the Rider deck is not under copyright so it breaks no government law to do so, but I'm interested in hearing from those more experienced in Tarot what they're thoughts would be.

I downloaded the Aquatic deck a few years ago and laminated the cards. Made it kinda thick, but it was usable.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading Tarot Cards.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:30:10 am »

I don't know about the legalities of downloading copyrighted decks, but if you want a computer program that comes with several decks you might try here:

http://www.orphalese.net/index.aspx?chosenculture=en

I've read tarot professionally for a long time (I just retired, in fact) and this is the only computer program I've seen that approaches the complexity of a paint-and-paper deck.  Some of the decks include mouse-over meanings but you can toggle them off or put your own associations in instead.  You can put in your own spreads as well, and develop/practice new ones.

The site has a forum and some of the decks created by members are really nice.

Absent
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 01:32:17 am by Marilyn/Absentminded »
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 08:07:16 am »

Both of the decks they have (the 1910 Coleman-Waite or the Vacchetta tarot of 1893) are in the public domain, so there are no copyright issues to worry about.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 02:24:40 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;35241
Both of the decks they have (the 1910 Coleman-Waite or the Vacchetta tarot of 1893) are in the public domain, so there are no copyright issues to worry about.

At the time that I downloaded it, the Aquatic deck was posted online by the artist for downloading.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

AradiaRose

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 03:23:25 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;35217
I don't know about the legalities of downloading copyrighted decks, but if you want a computer program that comes with several decks you might try here:

http://www.orphalese.net/index.aspx?chosenculture=en

Thank you. I checked and the Rider deck was apparently created pre-1922, so it should not be under copyright, so legally I'm fine. I was wondering if there was anything I may have been overlooking about usability or if those more practiced would consider it a terrible way to start doing Tarot for any reason.

As for the site you linked to, I love the idea of it but unfortunately I'm on a pre-Intel based mac so the program won't work for me. I will bookmark it for when I get my new computer in a few months!
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.Rumi

Blogging at: aradiarose.tumblr.com

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 09:53:51 pm »
Quote from: AradiaRose;35287
Thank you. I checked and the Rider deck was apparently created pre-1922, so it should not be under copyright, so legally I'm fine. I was wondering if there was anything I may have been overlooking about usability or if those more practiced would consider it a terrible way to start doing Tarot for any reason.

I can't see anything wrong with coloring your own deck and the Rider-Waite deck is a good starter deck because so many books use it.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 07:04:59 pm »
Are there any issues that can arise from this plan?

If you're going to do this, I suggest:

(a) Use heavy card stock to print them out.
(b) Watch out for smearing. Not an issue so much with crayons or colored pencils, but there are art media that will smear with use.
(c) If you plan heavy use, I'd laminate the cards. You can laminate very cheaply by using clear contact paper. Heavy paper stock will add the stiffness you need to shuffle without destroying.

You may also want to find a site that has the colored version of the images in your deck, so you can be sure you color them properly, if you want your deck to look like a proper Rider-Waite.

Karen

Tags: