Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Quick Marriage?  (Read 1827 times)

Jinji

• View Profile
Quick Marriage?
« on: December 16, 2011, 07:04:30 pm »
So I'm getting married on December 23. :)

It will be a very small ceremony, and I'm not wearing a wedding dress. I just got a lovely red sweater dress and grey leggings, while my soon-to-be husband is wearing a dress blazer and a red tie. It's just going to be at his mother's house, then we're going off to a local restaurant for a simple reception.

With Christmas/Solstice so near, I don't have a lot of money left to spend on this. I'm trying to think of a simple way to include my beliefs, keeping in mind that I don't have long to get extra stuff (not enough time to order something) and I don't have a lot of experience in making stuff. Ideally I would like some Celtic elements - knots, natural flowers, maybe a handfasting cord/rope. Any ideas?

At the moment I'm leaning towards making candles. :) -EDIT- And if you've got an idea for something I can make, a link to a tutorial would be fantastic. ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:05:27 pm by Jinji »

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Re: Quick Marriage?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 07:27:53 pm »
Quote from: Jinji;35053

It will be a very small ceremony, and I'm not wearing a wedding dress. I just got a lovely red sweater dress and grey leggings, while my soon-to-be husband is wearing a dress blazer and a red tie. It's just going to be at his mother's house, then we're going off to a local restaurant for a simple reception.

With Christmas/Solstice so near, I don't have a lot of money left to spend on this. I'm trying to think of a simple way to include my beliefs, keeping in mind that I don't have long to get extra stuff (not enough time to order something) and I don't have a lot of experience in making stuff. Ideally I would like some Celtic elements - knots, natural flowers, maybe a handfasting cord/rope. Any ideas?

At the moment I'm leaning towards making candles. :) -EDIT- And if you've got an idea for something I can make, a link to a tutorial would be fantastic. ;D

Simplest thing would be making and dressing a votive candle especially for goddess of marriage, lit it in the morning or right before sharing the first nuptial night, and you and your groom might just sit a few minutes before it asking the lady to bless your union, pouring a libation for her and allowing the candle the burn out afterwards . My thoughts can only go to Hera or Juno because i am not excessively familiar with Celtic pantheons... :p
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Jinji

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 08:00:49 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;35056
Simplest thing would be making and dressing a votive candle especially for goddess of marriage, lit it in the morning or right before sharing the first nuptial night, and you and your groom might just sit a few minutes before it asking the lady to bless your union, pouring a libation for her and allowing the candle the burn out afterwards . My thoughts can only go to Hera or Juno because i am not excessively familiar with Celtic pantheons... :p

Thank you for the suggestion! I like the idea of lighting a candle in the morning, but I'm a little afraid of leaving the candle alone for so long. There won't be anyone in the apartment for most of the day. I'd rather my home not burn because the candle fell over or something. Do you think that's a valid fear? Or will that not be a problem if the candle is done lower in a glass cup, perhaps with a small plate beneath?

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 02:50:40 am »
Quote from: Jinji;35061
Thank you for the suggestion! I like the idea of lighting a candle in the morning, but I'm a little afraid of leaving the candle alone for so long. There won't be anyone in the apartment for most of the day. I'd rather my home not burn because the candle fell over or something. Do you think that's a valid fear? Or will that not be a problem if the candle is done lower in a glass cup, perhaps with a small plate beneath?

I would reluctant in your place too, to leave it unattended completely. You might get a short candle that can end burning in the time you are home (this would of course depend on how much time you will be home that day) or you might leave the candle at the centre of a large and tall bowl filled with water... this way, if the candle falls for whatever reason, the flame will be kaput right away.

The alternative would be to leave the candle burning as long as you are home, then put the flame out and light it away the day after.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 04:34:46 pm »
Quote from: Jinji;35053

That sounds quite a bit like my wedding last year around this time (Dec 28; there are some pics in my profile if you're interested)!

Alas, I don't have any good suggestions for you; we didn't include overt religious elements at all, and because I did a major computer upgrade this past summer and lost my bookmarks, I can't easily point you to the resources we used when we wrote the ceremony.  But we did mostly use online resources, and I saw quite a few ceremonies that involved handfasting cords, ritualized exchanges of flowers, and other things that might suit you; you could probably find them without too much trouble.

Congratualtions and best wishes!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: