Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Therian identity  (Read 8432 times)

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Therian identity
« on: December 16, 2011, 04:35:41 pm »
This is sort of a cross thread question, aimed at Wiccans or Pagans on the board, but does anyone know of any sort of ritual that can be done, or meditation, to find one's Therian animal identity? I know I have one, but I don't know what it is or how to find it.

Thanks!
Conformity is the death of individualism

chthonic-me

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Therian identity
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 04:44:47 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;35031
This is sort of a cross thread question, aimed at Wiccans or Pagans on the board, but does anyone know of any sort of ritual that can be done, or meditation, to find one's Therian animal identity? I know I have one, but I don't know what it is or how to find it.

Thanks!

Mine ended up being my animal totem/guide, which I found through a very simple drumming meditation.

If you don't drum or don't have anyone to drum for you, I'm sure you can find some good downloadable tracks or cds or something.

As the drumming begins, you close your eyes and go to a place of power for you that exists somewhere in nature (park, lake, etc.). Visualize yourself entering your deeper consciousness through some natural portal (knot hole in a tree, a hole in the ground, etc.). If the place or portal that you see isn't something  you'd normally expect, don't fight against it. It may be your animals way of showing you something about itself/yourself.

Don't rush yourself and as you enter the portal, look for signs of the animal. Again, don't force it. He or she will show themself to you in time. There's no set length of time that this should take, of course, so whatever drumming device you use, make sure that it can keep going until you're finished.

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 06:47:21 pm »
Quote from: chthonic-me;35152
Mine ended up being my animal totem/guide, which I found through a very simple drumming meditation.

If you don't drum or don't have anyone to drum for you, I'm sure you can find some good downloadable tracks or cds or something.

As the drumming begins, you close your eyes and go to a place of power for you that exists somewhere in nature (park, lake, etc.). Visualize yourself entering your deeper consciousness through some natural portal (knot hole in a tree, a hole in the ground, etc.). If the place or portal that you see isn't something  you'd normally expect, don't fight against it. It may be your animals way of showing you something about itself/yourself.

Don't rush yourself and as you enter the portal, look for signs of the animal. Again, don't force it. He or she will show themself to you in time. There's no set length of time that this should take, of course, so whatever drumming device you use, make sure that it can keep going until you're finished.

So a sort of vision quest. I'm not sure how much I trust these sort of things, because how do I know I'm not imagining the whole thing, or making the whole thing up?

I had a panther show up during a ritual one time, but that was years ago. And now I don't think it's a feline at all. And then I'm like, if it's not a feline, what is it? Hmm.

The whole thing is confusing. I'm new to the whole therian thing, too. Not so much to the idea of being Otherkin, but definitely to being a therian. :)

chthonic-me

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 10:21:30 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;35165
So a sort of vision quest. I'm not sure how much I trust these sort of things, because how do I know I'm not imagining the whole thing, or making the whole thing up?

I had a panther show up during a ritual one time, but that was years ago. And now I don't think it's a feline at all. And then I'm like, if it's not a feline, what is it? Hmm.

The whole thing is confusing. I'm new to the whole therian thing, too. Not so much to the idea of being Otherkin, but definitely to being a therian. :)

Hmmm, I see your point. The only other suggestion I have (and this is just an off the cuff idea) is to find an animal encyclopedia and scry over the pages. Something with pictures would probably be best.

I'm not sure what to suggest other than that if vision quests wouldn't be a good option.

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 10:39:42 pm »
Quote from: chthonic-me;35190
Hmmm, I see your point. The only other suggestion I have (and this is just an off the cuff idea) is to find an animal encyclopedia and scry over the pages. Something with pictures would probably be best.

I'm not sure what to suggest other than that if vision quests wouldn't be a good option.

Now that's an awesome idea. That makes me wish I had some of those animal tarot cards, or the other type of cards...I think they're called oracle cards or something along those lines?

I have a couple animal totem books. :) I will see what kind of results I get with that.

Thanks!

chthonic-me

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 11:07:08 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;35197
Now that's an awesome idea. That makes me wish I had some of those animal tarot cards, or the other type of cards...I think they're called oracle cards or something along those lines?

I have a couple animal totem books. :) I will see what kind of results I get with that.

Thanks!

Awesome. I hope that works out for you then. I'm curious what result you get. :)

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 11:51:13 pm »
Quote from: chthonic-me;35198
Awesome. I hope that works out for you then. I'm curious what result you get. :)

I could try a vision quest. I've just never had good luck with contacting totems that way before. Totem animals usually show up in dreams for me.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 11:51:32 pm by outlaw393 »

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 11:59:31 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;35031

Thanks!

I read over your post but I find myself trying to figure out just what are you asking.

Therianthropy is part of the Otherkin category of things.  The main difference I have found is that the Therian community equates their other spirit or soul part as being of an animal kind while the otherkin show it as being angelic, demonic or non-human creature such as elf or similiar.

In many ways the most common form of Therianthropy I am aware of it a form of Lycanthropy where the person firmly believes they are part wolf and turn into such a creature.  Those calling them selves Wolf-Kin from those I've spoken to.

Yet what your speaking of does not seem to be part of the Therian community nor the way they identify themselves.  One significant factor being all of them have known right off the bat what animal soul they possess and are joined with.

Yet asking about rituals or ceremonies makes me think of seeking one's Animal guide, Power Animal or Spirit Animal, perhaps even a totem as used in modern pagan practices and usage of the term.  Something that is far different than a Therianthrophy type situation or belief.

I suppose for me one may join or become part of their guide, totem, power or spirit animal but it is never a fragment of thier soul makeup.  Yet for a therian thier animal is always part of thier soul makeup from my understanding.

Yet a small part of your post also makes me think of Shape-Shifting or Shift-Shaping.  That is the process of taking on the form of your guide or totem and acting upon thier medicine or strengths.  It can be a process that occurs in the mind only or one that occurs in both the mental and physical realm.  It can be induced through magical and mind altering drugs or brough upon oneself through ritual.

This again points back to some forms of lycanthropy (werewolf) or other forms of creature such as Were-rats, Were-Jaguar, Were-Bears, etc.  For instance Were-Jaguar is found in South and Centeral America where the Jaguar is the main creature, Were-Bears are at times associated to the Berserkers of Nordic lore and Odin himself.

At times equated to the wearing of skins to assume the form and mindset of the animal in question.  The typical wolf in sheep's clothing line of though and practice. Possibly cross connected to tales such as the Selkies who wear skins but shed them to take human form, Undines and Kelpies somewhat similiar from what I recall.

Also quite common in many shamanic type practices where the practitioner wears a regalia composed of animal skins and bones.  Tying the practitioner to the medicine or energy of the animal spirits whose body parts are worn or connecting the practitioner to thier power animals or guides.

But as I stated above your usage of the term Therian does not fit with what your asking in my understanding of the term.  Therianthropy is not something found via ceremony or ritual but something the person experiences all their lives as they believe they are inhabited by a specific animal soul that forms part of thier own soul makeup.

To discover your animal guide / spirit guide or power animal can take many forms though journey is the one most often seen in my experience.  However, that is not a vision quest as was referenced though that is a topic for a different discussion I'd think.

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 12:37:36 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;35203
I read over your post but I find myself trying to figure out just what are you asking.

Therianthropy is part of the Otherkin category of things.  The main difference I have found is that the Therian community equates their other spirit or soul part as being of an animal kind while the otherkin show it as being angelic, demonic or non-human creature such as elf or similiar.

In many ways the most common form of Therianthropy I am aware of it a form of Lycanthropy where the person firmly believes they are part wolf and turn into such a creature.  Those calling them selves Wolf-Kin from those I've spoken to.

Yet what your speaking of does not seem to be part of the Therian community nor the way they identify themselves.  One significant factor being all of them have known right off the bat what animal soul they possess and are joined with.

Yet asking about rituals or ceremonies makes me think of seeking one's Animal guide, Power Animal or Spirit Animal, perhaps even a totem as used in modern pagan practices and usage of the term.  Something that is far different than a Therianthrophy type situation or belief.

I suppose for me one may join or become part of their guide, totem, power or spirit animal but it is never a fragment of thier soul makeup.  Yet for a therian thier animal is always part of thier soul makeup from my understanding.

Yet a small part of your post also makes me think of Shape-Shifting or Shift-Shaping.  That is the process of taking on the form of your guide or totem and acting upon thier medicine or strengths.  It can be a process that occurs in the mind only or one that occurs in both the mental and physical realm.  It can be induced through magical and mind altering drugs or brough upon oneself through ritual.

This again points back to some forms of lycanthropy (werewolf) or other forms of creature such as Were-rats, Were-Jaguar, Were-Bears, etc.  For instance Were-Jaguar is found in South and Centeral America where the Jaguar is the main creature, Were-Bears are at times associated to the Berserkers of Nordic lore and Odin himself.

At times equated to the wearing of skins to assume the form and mindset of the animal in question.  The typical wolf in sheep's clothing line of though and practice. Possibly cross connected to tales such as the Selkies who wear skins but shed them to take human form, Undines and Kelpies somewhat similiar from what I recall.

Also quite common in many shamanic type practices where the practitioner wears a regalia composed of animal skins and bones.  Tying the practitioner to the medicine or energy of the animal spirits whose body parts are worn or connecting the practitioner to thier power animals or guides.

But as I stated above your usage of the term Therian does not fit with what your asking in my understanding of the term.  Therianthropy is not something found via ceremony or ritual but something the person experiences all their lives as they believe they are inhabited by a specific animal soul that forms part of thier own soul makeup.

To discover your animal guide / spirit guide or power animal can take many forms though journey is the one most often seen in my experience.  However, that is not a vision quest as was referenced though that is a topic for a different discussion I'd think.

Yeah, I'm aware of the difference. I know what a totem is. My experience with the panther that time was not anything I've ever experienced before that time and anything I've ever experienced since. However I don't like cats at all, so I don't believe it's feline.

Tend to know right away? Perhaps. My boyfriend is a wolf therian. I don't know what sort of journey he took to find out. But since I never knew about it until these days (we've known each other 11 years) I'm sure there was some sort of discovery process involved, like other parts of your identity.

I tend to look at myself and my mannerisms to help determine what it is. If I had to guess right away what it is, I'd guess canine of some sort. I won't jump on the boat and say wolf, because everyone says wolf. If I get angry, I growl, I bare my teeth. My body language is canine. I am protective and loyal. And while I can be quite reclusive, I thrive in a pack. And I would do anything to protect my pack.

Yes, one of my major totems that's been with me for a lot of years is a wolf. Yes he has guided me for a long time. But he rarely deals with me and is gone quite a lot. But he did pop up in a dream fairly recently. So...perhaps I might be on to something.

But I am reluctant to say wolf because I don't just want to jump onto the boat. I want to make sure. My boyfriend said he didn't think I am a wolf. He never said he didn't think I am a therian. Just not a wolf...but it's easier for him to shift than me. I haven't felt animal in a very long time.

I've always gotten along with animals very well. I've even tamed some animals. Being therian would explain a few things.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 01:04:23 am »
Quote from: outlaw393;35213
Yeah, I'm aware of the difference. I know what a totem is. My experience with the panther that time was not anything I've ever experienced before that time and anything I've ever experienced since. However I don't like cats at all, so I don't believe it's feline.

I'll have to pass on the concept of totems as I have a very hard opinion on what totems are and how they work.  Most in the modern usage of the word does not match mine so I tend to pass on it.

Tend to know right away? Perhaps.

I'm 52 years old and every one i've ever known has known thier whole life.  Even before the terms Therian and Otherkin came about they would tell you what animal they were.  Most of them tended to make believe they were that animal in their youth and dreampt of being that animal quite often.  So by that i'd say it's a fair assumption on my part based upon the evidence i've been aware of.

My boyfriend is a wolf therian. I don't know what sort of journey he took to find out. But since I never knew about it until these days (we've known each other 11 years) I'm sure there was some sort of discovery process involved, like other parts of your identity.

I have to be honest I tend to have many doubts on Wolf Therian's, especially after the many Wolf-Therian's who discovered themselves after watching Twilight.  It sort of matches the number of people who claim Wolf as a guide / totem.

I tend to look at myself and my mannerisms to help determine what it is. If I had to guess right away what it is, I'd guess canine of some sort. I won't jump on the boat and say wolf, because everyone says wolf. If I get angry, I growl, I bare my teeth. My body language is canine. I am protective and loyal. And while I can be quite reclusive, I thrive in a pack. And I would do anything to protect my pack.

Ok, you've also just described the traits of a rabbit (hare).  In fact many prey animals do everything you've described above but it doesn't make them preditors.  Nor would I say it makes you a wolf therian.

Yes, one of my major totems that's been with me for a lot of years is a wolf. Yes he has guided me for a long time. But he rarely deals with me and is gone quite a lot. But he did pop up in a dream fairly recently. So...perhaps I might be on to something.

I'll pass on this part.

But I am reluctant to say wolf because I don't just want to jump onto the boat. I want to make sure. My boyfriend said he didn't think I am a wolf. He never said he didn't think I am a therian. Just not a wolf...but it's easier for him to shift than me. I haven't felt animal in a very long time.

That makes me believe your not therian.  Especially considering the ones I know would say they don't feel human.

I've always gotten along with animals very well. I've even tamed some animals. Being therian would explain a few things.

Having a calling towards animal husbandry would do the same thing.  Having or presenting a sense of not being a preditor will also do the same thing.  None of which indicates one is a theriantrope.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 01:05:55 am by monsnoleedra »

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 01:47:34 am »
Quote from: chthonic-me;35198

I completed my meditation. I got some interesting results. Though I am tempted to tell you to PM me instead of posting a rather personal result to my meditation here, instead of risk my testimony getting shot down and/or refuted.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 02:16:10 am »
Quote from: outlaw393;35218
I completed my meditation. I got some interesting results. Though I am tempted to tell you to PM me instead of posting a rather personal result to my meditation here, instead of risk my testimony getting shot down and/or refuted.

That's to bad I was sort of interested in your results.  Though I personaly do not see how someone could refute your conclusion.  Challenge them or you perhaps in your conclusions or deductions but maybe that is just my age and background speaking for we were all taught to question everything.

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 02:21:53 am »

I could swear I put a reply in here right after monosoleedra(sp!!), booo!
Internet ate my post!

well in a nut shell...I was going to say I agreed about the therein element being completely different than a totem animal/spirit guide.
I am one of those who beleive my soul is not human.
mine I beleive is distinctly canine,but not wolf....I'm pretty certain I'm more like a feral dog or stray dog. untamed,but living near to or among civilization.
couches are comfy and junk food is yummy,but leashes and collars I'm not interested in.
etc.
and yes I've always known....but for a time thought I was wolf,but it never felt right.
anyhow....hope this reply sticks.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Miss

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 10:56:07 am »

Giving you helpful information to clarify your feelings is not meant to just shoot you down, it's meant for you to critically think about your experiences.

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 12:03:37 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;35220
I could swear I put a reply in here right after monosoleedra(sp!!), booo!
Internet ate my post!

well in a nut shell...I was going to say I agreed about the therein element being completely different than a totem animal/spirit guide.
I am one of those who beleive my soul is not human.
mine I beleive is distinctly canine,but not wolf....I'm pretty certain I'm more like a feral dog or stray dog. untamed,but living near to or among civilization.
couches are comfy and junk food is yummy,but leashes and collars I'm not interested in. etc. and yes I've always known....but for a time thought I was wolf,but it never felt right. anyhow....hope this reply sticks.

I've known for years that my soul is not human. I am Otherkin. Just exploring now what kind of Otherkin I am. Apparently I've had numerous past lives that are coming through now.

Tags: