Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Patricia Briggs' "Mercy Thompson" series  (Read 5324 times)

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Patricia Briggs' "Mercy Thompson" series
« on: July 06, 2011, 02:22:51 am »
Has anyone here read Patricia Briggs' "Mercy Thompson" series? Is it any good?

I saw it when I went by Chapters earlier today and checked out the back, and it seems to be up my alley (modern urban fantasy full of folkloric creatures). I'll probably end up buying the first novel soon anyways, as soon as I have spare cash to spend (Must. Have. Hardcover!).
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Patricia Briggs' "Mercy Thompson" series
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 09:50:05 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;1823

I saw it when I went by Chapters earlier today and checked out the back, and it seems to be up my alley (modern urban fantasy full of folkloric creatures). I'll probably end up buying the first novel soon anyways, as soon as I have spare cash to spend (Must. Have. Hardcover!).

I've got all but one of them.  :D They are very good.  Patricia Briggs is also one of my fav authors.  I recommend that series.

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:09:44 am »

IQUOTE]

I have read all of the "Mercy Thompson" books, I find them to be quick, for a nice afternoon escape. I read the first one because of the location. The Tri-Citys is not a place most people write about, and when I was a teen I would drive from Small Hickville to there. The location is like revisiting an old hang out.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 04:32:34 pm »

Splurge on this. Serious.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Arienwen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 08:53:42 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;2075
Splurge on this. Serious.

Agreed.  The series is wicked good.  :)
Spiritual Blog
Regular Blog Writing Blog
I\'m gonna survive, even if it kills me. :cool:

sugarmagnolia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 02:37:20 am »
Quote from: Arienwen;2766
Agreed.  The series is wicked good.  :)

Buy the series.  It's very good.

Adele

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 03:49:35 pm »
Quote from: sugarmagnolia;3502
Buy the series.  It's very good.

I agree. Totally worth it.

scoutyote

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Dragonblog.biz
  • Religion: Heathen/pagan/witch
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them or she/her
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 05:24:10 am »

I have read all but one in this series. LOVE IT. Definitely a good read.

DomesticWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://lifeofadomesticwitch.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 11:25:15 am »

Definately worth a read, I must have read at least the first few books four times or so (I tend to reread an entire series before getting the newest book though >.<).

pomegranate

• View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/maryyall
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 08:29:17 am »

It's definitely not as bad as series of this kind of genre tend to be and that's the best thing I can say about it. Of course, I live in the Tri-Cities where the books are set and I can't say I appreciate the attention. (How long before movies start coming out and people are busting into town for Twilight-esque tours??)

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 06:25:21 pm »
Quote from: pomegranate;13738
It's definitely not as bad as series of this kind of genre tend to be and that's the best thing I can say about it. Of course, I live in the Tri-Cities where the books are set and I can't say I appreciate the attention. (How long before movies start coming out and people are busting into town for Twilight-esque tours??)

After reading the first book (which I loved, btw) I don't see it coming to the big screen any time soon. Mercy is her own character, not a stand-in for the author or the readers (like Bella is), and she's also fiercely independant (not like Bella), despite the men she's attracted to around her (I feel like a broken record here), both of which movie companies that are just looking for the money arn't looking for.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 08:52:20 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;14146
After reading the first book (which I loved, btw) I don't see it coming to the big screen any time soon. Mercy is her own character, not a stand-in for the author or the readers (like Bella is), and she's also fiercely independant (not like Bella), despite the men she's attracted to around her (I feel like a broken record here), both of which movie companies that are just looking for the money arn't looking for.

I agree, the series is very excellent, I thoroughly recommend it. However, like Nykti said Mercy is way too awesome for them to make a series with her. She's extremely independent and intelligent and it's amazing they did the Hunger Games as a movie. Not to mention it takes her several books to actually get in bed with anyone. Like, four books I believe. She does her own thing and kicks ass as a real heroine as opposed to an overbearing, obsessive, codependent girl who can barely think or care for herself and is way too emotional and lacking in common sense. Mercy and Katniss are total opposites to Bella.
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 09:17:33 pm »

For some reason, I stopped reading this series after reading "Iron Kissed". I have no idea why, maybe because I was waiting so long for the next one (in paperback) and when it came out I was just all "meh" and didn't bother picking it up again. Maybe I should give it a go again...

Also, I'm sure it's been said but WTF is up with those sexed-up covers? It's such a horrible trend in Urban Fantasy! I found the cover for Iron Kissed to be especially cringe-worthy. Gods, that is just awful....

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 09:25:49 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;50850
For some reason, I stopped reading this series after reading "Iron Kissed". I have no idea why, maybe because I was waiting so long for the next one (in paperback) and when it came out I was just all "meh" and didn't bother picking it up again. Maybe I should give it a go again...

Also, I'm sure it's been said but WTF is up with those sexed-up covers? It's such a horrible trend in Urban Fantasy! I found the cover for Iron Kissed to be especially cringe-worthy. Gods, that is just awful....

Actually I find Moon Called and Bone Crossed to be worse. And you're right, that seems to be a trend in Urban Fantasy. I've got plenty of great books that don't have that much sex in it (like the Mercy Thompson series) that have these super sexed covers
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 08:38:24 am »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;50850

I love the Mercy books, they are one of my favorite series, and one that I reread on average once a year.  And I'll admit, I bought my first two at a used book store and was drawn to them by the title Blood bound (I enjoy vampire things) and then the cover art (Mainly her tattoos actually, though I do like them overall).  After having read the books, I will say that I don't think Mercy would actually walk around like that though!

What I love about Mercy is that she is very opinionated, but she isn't all powerful.  She makes mistakes, she deliberately does things she knows she will have to answer for later, and sometimes she is just completely outclassed and not thinking about winning but running away and surviving.

I also like the sister series Alpha and Omega.  Have read all the books in both (including the first Mercy graphic novel that hubby got me for Christmas a couple years back).

The only other book by her I have read is Dragon Bones (I have the sequel to it but can't bring myself to read it).  I was actually pretty disappointed, which has made me drag my heels on reading some of her other series'.  I think I just didn't like the main character at all.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Tags: