Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Prayer and the non-believer  (Read 2183 times)

Elizabeth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Prayer and the non-believer
« on: December 07, 2011, 09:08:51 am »
I don't know my beliefs. I guess Agnostic best fits. I used to say I was monotheistic, but I don't really think I am. I just don't know what I believe. BUT, I love the ritual of Episcopal/Catholic/Orthodox services, I just don't believe in the Abrahamic God. I've tried so many times to reconcile my belief, because the comfort of an Episcopal service helps me to be a "better" person. I just can't believe in the Abrahamic God because of the hate I see in the Bible and whenever I have a question, the answer is "it takes a leap of faith" or "we'll know when we get to Heaven". Sorry, doesn't cut it for me. Plus, the idea of an all-knowing, all-good, etc. God doesn't make sense to me.

Anyways, I have trouble praying when I do it to the Universe or whatever. I feel like an idiot. I want so badly to be strong in my faith (of whatever) and draw comfort from my beliefs, but I don't know how.

Anyone have any thoughts of suggestions?

Thanks. Sorry if this is a bit jumbled or whatever, just stressed and at the end of my rope in regards to spirituality.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:09:33 am by Elizabeth »
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Re: Prayer and the non-believer
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:14:41 am »
Quote from: Elizabeth;33471
I don't know my beliefs. I guess Agnostic best fits. I used to say I was monotheistic, but I don't really think I am. I just don't know what I believe. BUT, I love the ritual of Episcopal/Catholic/Orthodox services, I just don't believe in the Abrahamic God. I've tried so many times to reconcile my belief, because the comfort of an Episcopal service helps me to be a "better" person. I just can't believe in the Abrahamic God because of the hate I see in the Bible and whenever I have a question, the answer is "it takes a leap of faith" or "we'll know when we get to Heaven". Sorry, doesn't cut it for me. Plus, the idea of an all-knowing, all-good, etc. God doesn't make sense to me.

Anyways, I have trouble praying when I do it to the Universe or whatever. I feel like an idiot. I want so badly to be strong in my faith (of whatever) and draw comfort from my beliefs, but I don't know how.

Thanks. Sorry if this is a bit jumbled or whatever, just stressed and at the end of my rope in regards to spirituality.

Have you tried to look into the Vodoun tradition?

It centers around the belief of one Creator, Bondje, who is distant from its creation, and various spirits, the Lwas, that are intermediaries between men and Bondje and they are petitioned to intercede in human everday affairs. I have not explained it very well well, but  it sounds like something that might appeal you, as the  ritualistic aspect bridges the gap between catholicism and paganism to settle in a middle ground.
Here there's a place you will find more 'articulate' answers:

http://www.rootswithoutend.org/racine125/vleson1.html
Maybe researching it can help you to find a new perspective, or at least to be more at ease with the act of praying...

I apologize for being messy, but I am by no means an expert here.;)
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Rowanfox

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 10:25:22 am »
I don't know my beliefs. I guess Agnostic best fits. I used to say I was monotheistic, but I don't really think I am. I just don't know what I believe. BUT, I love the ritual of Episcopal/Catholic/Orthodox services, I just don't believe in the Abrahamic God.

You also might want to take a closer look at Taoist or Buddhist belief systems. Many have lovely rituals and practices, without the burden of a spiteful, jealous god to deal with.

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oboeadventures
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 08:22:14 pm »

I feel similarly. What has helped me is to simply lay out what you want in a religion. What are your core beliefs? How should you act towards those with different beliefs? How do you show your spirituality? ect.... For example: I believe that there is an energy that flows throughout everyone and thing. We touch this energy by doing the things we love and by being around those we care about. Right now I'm researching Asatru (sorry if it's spelled wrong). I plan to, at least, learn out all the religions that fit under "pagan" i can, taking different ideas and practices to kind of create my own religion. If I happen to fit under a specific label (and am comfortable with that title) then I may "join" that particular group.

Once you know what you're looking for, you can start looking into the main beliefs of different religions and see if any generally fit what you already naturally believe.

ccardinot

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 04:37:31 pm »
Quote from: bluewave193;36762
I feel similarly. What has helped me is to simply lay out what you want in a religion. What are your core beliefs? How should you act towards those with different beliefs? How do you show your spirituality? ect.... For example: I believe that there is an energy that flows throughout everyone and thing. We touch this energy by doing the things we love and by being around those we care about. Right now I'm researching Asatru (sorry if it's spelled wrong). I plan to, at least, learn out all the religions that fit under "pagan" i can, taking different ideas and practices to kind of create my own religion. If I happen to fit under a specific label (and am comfortable with that title) then I may "join" that particular group.

Once you know what you're looking for, you can start looking into the main beliefs of different religions and see if any generally fit what you already naturally believe.

When I was growing up, I had a somewhat similar trouble. Picture this: african witches as grandparents, atheistic father and catholic mother. I didn't know what to believe religiously, so, I decided to believe in myself, until I decide what religion to embrace or not. I took 10 years worth of research until I embraced Witchcraft, and couldn't be happier.
 Here's my piece of advice: boost your self -confidence and stop beating yourself up because you haven't found a religion that suits you and your needs. You're the only one who'll get hurt.

Cheers!

Tags: