Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Get Ready! "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice" 2011 edition, coming soon  (Read 13371 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
And some of you may ask: What the heck is this "all-night technopagan" thing he's talking about??

It's an annual tradition here at the Cauldron; it started when a bunch of us realized that we like to pass the December solstice--for the northern hemisphere, it's the winter solstice and therefore the longest night of the year--by staying awake all night long. (Or trying to stay awake all night long!) We thought: Why not do it together? Why not use the magic of the Internet to connect us into one global pagan party for the night, and stay up together?

And so, with Randall graciously offering to host us, "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice" was born.

It's really simple: A dedicated thread will start here in "Holidays and Festivals" right before nightfall on the night of the solstice, to which everyone is welcome to come and go and contribute as they please. Some of us go the distance for an all-nighter; some people drop in just for part of the night; some lucky sonuvaguns in the southern hemisphere rub our noses in the the warmth and daylight they're basking in (since it's they're summer solstice, the sun-kissed devils)...just about anything goes (within the usual board rules, of course).

In previous years, we've done "non-themes": sharing recipes one year, sharing stories around our "virtual campfire" the next, sharing the night's photos/images last year, etc. Non-themes are, as the name suggests, non-binding--just a starting point to get ideas going. (Recipes always seem to come up no matter what the non-theme...chocolate mug cake, anyone?) Any ideas for a non-theme for this year? Chime in, please!

People with better chat skills than I also do a MUX chat here that night. (I'm going to have to learn how to do that, so I can participate in that aspect...I missed a lot of the best chatter last year by being MUX-clueless.)

My favorite part each year is vicariously watching the march of darkness across the globe, via various Cauldronites' posts. It makes the anticipation of sunset absolutely delicious!

This year, the solstice occurs at about 5:30 AM Universal Time on December 22, so we'll be celebrating the night before, beginning at nightfall on Wednesday, December 21. Watch for the "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice" thread to appear right around then.

For an idea of what goes on, you can see last year's all-night gabfest on the old board, here:
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=14887.0

So...who's up for it this year?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Quote from: Altair;32901
Any ideas for a non-theme for this year? Chime in, please!

How about sharing songs or videos that get us in the spirit?

People with better chat skills than I also do a MUX chat here that night. (I'm going to have to learn how to do that, so I can participate in that aspect...I missed a lot of the best chatter last year by being MUX-clueless.)

It is super easy! As someone mentioned (I think Fier?) now would be a good time for anyone interested in joining in the MUX fun to request an account, so Randall has time to make them.

I will definitely be in MUX- chatting keeps me awake better than thread-stalking.

Me! I'm really looking forward to it. :)
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

I'm in!

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile

In previous years, we've done "non-themes": sharing recipes one year, sharing stories around our "virtual campfire" the next, sharing the night's photos/images last year, etc. Non-themes are, as the name suggests, non-binding--just a starting point to get ideas going. (Recipes always seem to come up no matter what the non-theme...chocolate mug cake, anyone?) Any ideas for a non-theme for this year? Chime in, please!

Well, recipes/food will come up no matter what the non-theme is (this IS TC after all) but I do like Juni's idea of songs/videos.

Which reminds me that I need to ask if my password to the MUX can be reset...

This year, the solstice occurs at about 5:30 AM Universal Time on December 22, so we'll be celebrating the night before, beginning at nightfall on Wednesday, December 21. Watch for the "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice" thread to appear right around then.

For an idea of what goes on, you can see last year's all-night gabfest on the old board, here:

Since it's (hopefully *knock on wood*) not a night in which I absolutely have to do the Unpleasant Chore, you can count me in.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile

Well I'm no longer working full days and my college's winter break is at that time, so YES! :D I'm incredibly excited this year.

Spurred on by Ms. Graveyard Dirt's Holy Supper Challenge, I'll be making a meal for my ancestors as well as myself (and my family, but the're unlikely to participate since we don't eat stew in this house, much less something with game in it, which is what I'm aiming for), and using a Metis cookbook I was able to find on the net.

I also want to see if I can get a tiny Christmas tree to decorate pagan-style (what does that mean? I don't know yet!), and set up a Winter altar this year that will take up a part of my room.

I hope to have all this done in time for the Solstice. Wish me luck! :P
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

DragonDaughter

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile

I hope to be able to this year. School will be out, and the ROV team can do without me in the morning. ;)
"Bug f*ck nuts" should NOT be the answer when one questions their own sanity.:rolleye::

Owner of sharp claws, and a sharper tongue... Beware the snark factor :dwink:

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com

I'll be there with my bells on! And my jammies. And probably watching MST3K or Lord of the Rings at the same time, so my posts (and chats) will look something like:

"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"  :cool:
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
Quote from: Juni;32904
How about sharing songs or videos that get us in the spirit?

Great idea, Juni. And hooray to everybody for the enthusiasm! I get excited about this every year. It's the bright spot in an otherwise dreary time. (I'm SO not a winter person.)
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
Quote from: Altair;32925
Great idea, Juni. And hooray to everybody for the enthusiasm! I get excited about this every year. It's the bright spot in an otherwise dreary time. (I'm SO not a winter person.)

I'm in. I even have a video I'll link to. :D:
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile

Woohoo! I am SO down for it!
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself

Yay!  The thread is here!

As you could no doubt infer from my post in the other thread, I'm definitely up for it!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Quote from: Nyktipolos;32907
I'll be making a meal for my ancestors as well as myself (and my family, but the're unlikely to participate since we don't eat stew in this house, much less something with game in it, which is what I'm aiming for), and using a Metis cookbook I was able to find on the net.

More fool they.  A well-made stew is the food of the (earthy) gods!

Also, you said you found this Metis cookbook on the 'Net, but you didn't give a link?  Please share!

More generally, but this is a good place to hang it:
While rebuilding the "Gastronomy" section of my bookmarks, mainly by mining the Cooking SIG on the archive board, I noticed there was a fair bit of "Mug Cake Lore" scattered here and there - who originally introduced it to TC (it wasn't Oaksworn - though his role was pivotal; if he hadn't reminded us about it the next year, I doubt it would have become TC tradition), a lot of variations, experimentation to determine how to adjust for different microwave wattage and different tastes, etc.

I plan - either in preparation for Up All Night, or, if I don't get it done by then, while it's going on - to edit the Mug Cake article that Morag put in the TC Wiki to include much of that info, and links to the rest.  I doubt I'd have thought of it if Morag hadn't laid the foundation, so yay Morag!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile

I already wondered when this will pop up. ;)

I'm up to it as good as possible, because I have Friday the 23. off.
So it will be a tiny bit difficult to stay up the whole night on the 21.

But thanks to time zones, I'll of course assume my traditional role as vanguard. ;)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
Quote from: SunflowerP;32952

While rebuilding the "Gastronomy" section of my bookmarks, mainly by mining the Cooking SIG on the archive board, I noticed there was a fair bit of "Mug Cake Lore" scattered here and there - who originally introduced it to TC (it wasn't Oaksworn - though his role was pivotal; if he hadn't reminded us about it the next year, I doubt it would have become TC tradition)

I believe the original mug cake maker--the one who first introduced it at an "Up All Night" many years ago--was Folksymama.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
Quote from: Tana;32973
But thanks to time zones, I'll of course assume my traditional role as vanguard. ;)

I'm delighted to hear it, Tana! You're one of the people I rely on for the early "march of darkness" reports.

Tags: