Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Tech: Kobo or Kindle or????  (Read 8596 times)

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: Kobo or Kindle or????
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 10:33:53 am »
Quote from: Rowanfox;32744
Just wondering if the techno-bookophiles on the Cauldron have a favourite e reader. Which is better Kobo or Kindle or??? and why?

Just on the fyi front - I just got a Kindle Fire.  I LOOOOOVE it - but it's NOT a standard e-reader.  It's far more like an ipad, only running Android.

Yes, you can still read books on it - I have!  but it doesn't have that relaxing booklike LOOK to it that the others do - it's like reading on a portable monitor.

That said, I love it. :D

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 11:08:28 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;32988
Yes, you can still read books on it - I have!  but it doesn't have that relaxing booklike LOOK to it that the others do - it's like reading on a portable monitor.

That's why I picked the Simple Touch Nook, actually- I've already got an iPad, so I don't need another normal color tablet.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Shadow

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 03:43:00 pm »
Just wondering if the techno-bookophiles on the Cauldron have a favourite e reader. Which is better Kobo or Kindle or??? and why?

I have only ever used a Kindle and I was a bit dubious about it before I bought it because, although I am a gadget geek, I do like having real books to read. I love it though and would definitely recommend it to others.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 09:42:49 am »
Quote from: Asch;32819

Also Project Gutenberg and other online libraries have loads of out of copyright (usually) books for free, a lot of indie authors also provide samples and sometimes full novels for free on the kindle store, presumably the nook store is similar but I can't speak for it.

OK, time for mandatory spam ad.

Baen Free Library - SF&F in a variety of formats.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 05:58:44 pm »
Quote from: sailor;33170
OK, time for mandatory spam ad.

Baen Free Library - SF&F in a variety of formats.

Definitely worth mentioning as there's a lot of good stuff for any SF/F fan there. Link: http://www.baen.com/library/default.asp
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

treekisser

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 02:34:50 pm »
Quote from: Miss;32756

The only downside to my kindle thus far has been study books. I think it's just easier to buy physical manuals/study books and mark them with ribbon for easy access. Since you can bookmark pages on Kindles, I can't really give a good reason to why I feel this way.

But a Kindle bookmark is fiddlier than a physical one because you have to press all sorts of buttons rather than going straight for a ribbon or tab. It's worse when you want to cross-reference things, since it's much easier to just physically flip pages. Plus study books tend to be oversize, so I don't like cramming them onto Kindle's smaller screen.

I'm just waiting for the day I can put a WiFi chip in my brain.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 07:02:39 pm »
Quote from: treekisser;34063
But a Kindle bookmark is fiddlier than a physical one because you have to press all sorts of buttons rather than going straight for a ribbon or tab. It's worse when you want to cross-reference things, since it's much easier to just physically flip pages. Plus study books tend to be oversize, so I don't like cramming them onto Kindle's smaller screen.

True fact. Most of the studying/reading I do is via .pdfs of my textbooks (online school = digital textbooks) I still have quite a few physical books and always will. There is a kindle -the DX- with a 9" E-ink screen but it's also well over $200 O.o. SO I'm avoiding it for now, esp as I'm finishing my degree soon and haven't decided if I'll be pursuing my master's yet.

*joins the queue*
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:03:05 pm by Asch »

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Kobo or Kindle or????
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 06:22:07 am »

I'd love the download options, but I fear what my brain might upload when I wasn't looking .......

Nothingness

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Religion: Celtic Shamanic Wicca, currently studing Druidry and I'm in OBOD.
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 04:27:10 pm »

I own a Kobo Glo and I really love it.  It uses epub mainly but can use many other formats as well like, mobi, PDF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, TXT, HTML, XHTML, RTF, CBZ, CBR.  There are tons of options on the Kobo for reading your ebooks to make it as confortable as possible.  I only read novels on my ebooks though, I prefer buying, reading, and keeping real books for other types of non-fiction books, like pagan books.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 11:40:04 am »

I have an old kindle (the kind with eink and a keyboard), and I absolutely loved it.  I also have a nexus 7 (tablet) which I use the kindle app on now.  

One thing I found somewhat frustrating to the book hoarder in me is that the kindle really bogged down at about 1000 books.  Yes, I know it's a crazy amount of books and that the likelihood is that I won't ever read most of them, but my tastes are very eclectic and I never know what I would like.  I am not nearing my space capacity, so it irks me that the performance dropped significantly.  

I really did like the screen on the kindle.  But I love that my nexus does other things.  I keep planning on whittling down the library on my kindle so that it isn't so slow anymore.

I do find that some books absolutely don't translate well.  Both of mine will do pdf files, but trying to read a pdf (which most pfd books are typed in columns so there is a lot of scrolling involved) is a pain.  I also find illustrations can be cramped.

As stated, the biggest problem I have with ebooks in general is how hard it is to cross-reference.  I do use the highlighter feature, and it's not bad for quick comparing within a book, but for comparing between two books..well I haven't quite figured that bit out yet.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 11:15:46 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;178490
I have an old kindle (the kind with eink and a keyboard), and I absolutely loved it.  I also have a nexus 7 (tablet) which I use the kindle app on now.  

One thing I found somewhat frustrating to the book hoarder in me is that the kindle really bogged down at about 1000 books.  Yes, I know it's a crazy amount of books and that the likelihood is that I won't ever read most of them, but my tastes are very eclectic and I never know what I would like.  I am not nearing my space capacity, so it irks me that the performance dropped significantly.  

I really did like the screen on the kindle.  But I love that my nexus does other things.  I keep planning on whittling down the library on my kindle so that it isn't so slow anymore.

I do find that some books absolutely don't translate well.  Both of mine will do pdf files, but trying to read a pdf (which most pfd books are typed in columns so there is a lot of scrolling involved) is a pain.  I also find illustrations can be cramped.

As stated, the biggest problem I have with ebooks in general is how hard it is to cross-reference.  I do use the highlighter feature, and it's not bad for quick comparing within a book, but for comparing between two books..well I haven't quite figured that bit out yet.

I love my kindle... Hands down one of the best investments of my life. Although, that being said, 99% of that reasoning is because I fly across oceans and move around often enough to warrant that kind of expenditure simply to bring my library (of 500+ books and counting) around with me.

Tags: