Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Pantheon: Struggles  (Read 2726 times)

Tamina

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Pantheon: Struggles
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:36:39 am »
I've been drawn to the many gods theory for ages. Before I settled onto the idea of Paganism, I was attracted, heavily, to the Greek Pantheon. I decided against choosing them as 'my pantheon' because I had written about them, fictionalized them, and thought that if I could fictionalize them in my mind that I couldn't believe in them that way. Instead I choose the Celtic Pantheon, because they have been another tht have drawn me, thought I knew little about them. After a while, that thought has changed. I fought it for a while, thinking that if I were to use the Greek Pantheon as 'my pantheon' or in combination with the other goddesses and gods from other pantheons, and could fictionalize them that it would somehow be disrespectful.

I guess I'm having a bit of a delimma because the draw hasn't dissapaited. I even think that Hecate visited me last night before I fell asleep.

I just... I don't know. What are your thoughts?

(sorry I haven't been around for a while, NaNoWriMo and the husband being home nonstop has pretty much been crazy.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:37:45 am by Tamina »

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Re: Pantheon: Struggles
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 12:08:41 pm »
Quote from: Tamina;31998
I've been drawn to the many gods theory for ages. Before I settled onto the idea of Paganism, I was attracted, heavily, to the Greek Pantheon. I decided against choosing them as 'my pantheon' because I had written about them, fictionalized them, and thought that if I could fictionalize them in my mind that I couldn't believe in them that way. Instead I choose the Celtic Pantheon, because they have been another tht have drawn me, thought I knew little about them. After a while, that thought has changed. I fought it for a while, thinking that if I were to use the Greek Pantheon as 'my pantheon' or in combination with the other goddesses and gods from other pantheons, and could fictionalize them that it would somehow be disrespectful.

I guess I'm having a bit of a delimma because the draw hasn't dissapaited. I even think that Hecate visited me last night before I fell asleep.

If fictionalizing gods is disrespectful, then I have no idea why Sekhmet is still chillin' with me. She's been fictionalized in a lot of stories I've written. She's got a bit-part-slowly-growing-into-a-big-one in the novel that I've been writing for years on end. To be perfectly honest, Sekhmet likes the fact that I'm utilizing what I know (mythology, history, my religion) in what I'm writing. I mean, it's cheesy as hell, but the best advice about writing things is "write what you know."

I used to streamline the pantheon that I was all about. I was Egyptian, damnit, and nothing else! However, I've come along in my studies and realized that I can't just be "Egyptian." I really wanted to be but it wasn't for me. Maybe, the same can be said in your current situation. To me, gods are gods and it doesn't matter what 'pantheon' they are a part of. They just... exist. Some I worship, others I give a brief nod to now and again, and still others, I know nothing about.

For me, it's easier this way.

I hope that helped?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Tamina

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 12:21:45 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;32006
If fictionalizing gods is disrespectful, then I have no idea why Sekhmet is still chillin' with me. She's been fictionalized in a lot of stories I've written. She's got a bit-part-slowly-growing-into-a-big-one in the novel that I've been writing for years on end. To be perfectly honest, Sekhmet likes the fact that I'm utilizing what I know (mythology, history, my religion) in what I'm writing. I mean, it's cheesy as hell, but the best advice about writing things is "write what you know."

I used to streamline the pantheon that I was all about. I was Egyptian, damnit, and nothing else! However, I've come along in my studies and realized that I can't just be "Egyptian." I really wanted to be but it wasn't for me. Maybe, the same can be said in your current situation. To me, gods are gods and it doesn't matter what 'pantheon' they are a part of. They just... exist. Some I worship, others I give a brief nod to now and again, and still others, I know nothing about.

I hope that helped?

You've actually helped me a lot. I mean, I guess you've kind of reiterted what I already have been feeling. I've written, heavily, about Hecate, and Ares, and given a lot of thought and character development to quite a few others. Hecate was written about most recently and I felt like I learned a lot about her, and what I think of her (or the Madien version of her) when I was writing it.

You know, I wanted to thank you: you give me a ton of advice everytime I look for it. *beams*

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 12:45:37 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;32006

I hope that helped?

Is it weird that this happened to me too?
Dionysos and Hekate both make guest star apeareances in my novel-in-progress, as even witchcraft. KOr maybe it's normal ... we write about the things we care about and the things we see as part of us. I can tough understand the fear of turning your gods into characters that are more a product of your mind ... but then i even remember a a pagan novelist saying that her writing always ended being somewhat initiatory... as she completed her novel on Freya, she got to know Freya more and more.:)

I suppose the difference is in whether you are writing trying to reach the deity by what you know the deity to be, or you are rather redesigning it. Example: when i tried to read 'goddess of rose' by pc cast, i remember being appalled. I had buyed the book because Hekate starred in it... and the Hekate i found there was truly, truly nothing like mine.:(
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Tamina

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 02:08:50 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;32015
Is it weird that this happened to me too?
Dionysos and Hekate both make guest star apeareances in my novel-in-progress, as even witchcraft. KOr maybe it's normal ... we write about the things we care about and the things we see as part of us. I can tough understand the fear of turning your gods into characters that are more a product of your mind ... but then i even remember a a pagan novelist saying that her writing always ended being somewhat initiatory... as she completed her novel on Freya, she got to know Freya more and more.:)

I suppose the difference is in whether you are writing trying to reach the deity by what you know the deity to be, or you are rather redesigning it. Example: when i tried to read 'goddess of rose' by pc cast, i remember being appalled. I had buyed the book because Hekate starred in it... and the Hekate i found there was truly, truly nothing like mine.:(

I don't think it's weird. Afterall, Hecate only made a random appearence in the short story I wrote, she had a large place, but I think that, in that description and the actions I gave her, they brought me closer to her. Made me understand her more than I had realized. I think I might have some thoughts about some of Them that are... my own. (I can't remember the acronym, but it's my own personal interperations) But I think that's kind of best anyway. It's not somethin that I just came up with out of the blue, or maybe it is. But it feels like... it's right, for me.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 04:16:50 pm »
Quote from: Tamina;32035
I don't think it's weird. Afterall, Hecate only made a random appearence in the short story I wrote, she had a large place, but I think that, in that description and the actions I gave her, they brought me closer to her. Made me understand her more than I had realized. I think I might have some thoughts about some of Them that are... my own. (I can't remember the acronym, but it's my own personal interperations) But I think that's kind of best anyway. It's not somethin that I just came up with out of the blue, or maybe it is. But it feels like... it's right, for me.

It makes sense - the first thing i do when i start studying a deity is indulging the impulse of photoshopping them and when i am done working on their portraits I feel exactly like you described - like somewhere along the way became a bit more familiar with their essence.

All arts can becamre their special brand of meditation. :)

NB: Talking of art, your icon is stunning!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:18:46 pm by SkySamuelle »
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 06:40:25 pm »
Quote from: Tamina;32012
You've actually helped me a lot. I mean, I guess you've kind of reiterted what I already have been feeling. I've written, heavily, about Hecate, and Ares, and given a lot of thought and character development to quite a few others. Hecate was written about most recently and I felt like I learned a lot about her, and what I think of her (or the Madien version of her) when I was writing it.

You know, I wanted to thank you: you give me a ton of advice everytime I look for it. *beams*

You're welcome! And thanks for the big, huge, red blooming heat on my cheeks! I needed a daily dose of embarrassment for being me! *hugs*
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 06:45:51 pm »
Quote from: Tamina;32035
I think I might have some thoughts about some of Them that are... my own. (I can't remember the acronym, but it's my own personal interperations) But I think that's kind of best anyway. It's not somethin that I just came up with out of the blue, or maybe it is. But it feels like... it's right, for me.

The acronym you're thinking of is UPG - Unverified Personal Gnosis.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tamina

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 08:35:18 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;32056
It makes sense - the first thing i do when i start studying a deity is indulging the impulse of photoshopping them and when i am done working on their portraits I feel exactly like you described - like somewhere along the way became a bit more familiar with their essence.

All arts can becamre their special brand of meditation. :)

NB: Talking of art, your icon is stunning!

Thanks. It's from... http://ashen-memories.livejournal.com/ You can find it somewhere. And I never ever thought of my writing as meditation. That's definately a thought.

Quote from: SatSekhem;32090
You're welcome! And thanks for the big, huge, red blooming heat on my cheeks! I needed a daily dose of embarrassment for being me! *hugs*
Not a problem!

Quote from: SunflowerP;32093
The acronym you're thinking of is UPG - Unverified Personal Gnosis.

Sunflower

Thanks!

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 09:35:40 am »
Quote from: Tamina;31998

(sorry I haven't been around for a while, NaNoWriMo and the husband being home nonstop has pretty much been crazy.)

If by fictionalizing you mean creating fictional stories involving the Gods (NOT thinking that the Gods themselves are nothing but fiction), then it has been done by the Ancient Greek authors already... so I don't think it's always disrespectful.

Tamina

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 09:54:28 am »
Quote from: Nachtigall;32184
If by fictionalizing you mean creating fictional stories involving the Gods (NOT thinking that the Gods themselves are nothing but fiction), then it has been done by the Ancient Greek authors already... so I don't think it's always disrespectful.

Thanks. Once again it's one of those things where I'm all... 'That was such an easy conclusion to come to, why did I struggle with it so much?'

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 10:29:27 pm »
Quote from: Tamina;32186
Thanks. Once again it's one of those things where I'm all... 'That was such an easy conclusion to come to, why did I struggle with it so much?'

that seems to be me with every decision I make regarding my worship and my witchy stuff. DER!
you agonize over something,then in the end after mulling all the options and bits and peices and polling your friends etc.,you just do what you originally wanted to anyway! lol
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Tamina

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 05:21:37 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;32921
that seems to be me with every decision I make regarding my worship and my witchy stuff. DER!
you agonize over something,then in the end after mulling all the options and bits and peices and polling your friends etc.,you just do what you originally wanted to anyway! lol

Yep. Pretty much.

Tags: