Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Author Topic: Frau Holle Cakes  (Read 3609 times)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Frau Holle Cakes
« on: November 26, 2011, 07:56:16 pm »
I've read that one of the Yule practices was to make/eat fasting cakes to please Frau Holle. Would anyone happen to have a recipe or an idea of what these traditionally consisted of?

Thanks in advance.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Frau Holle Cakes
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 11:14:52 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;31763
I've read that one of the Yule practices was to make/eat fasting cakes to please Frau Holle. Would anyone happen to have a recipe or an idea of what these traditionally consisted of?

Thanks in advance.

I've never come across an actual recipe, just remarks in various folklore collections about cakes and/or milk being left out for her; I've also come across some traditions that have her punishing (by disemboweling!) those who eat certain types of cakes on January 5 (though in Bavaria IIRC, one should eat a super-greasy cake so she can't slice you open).  Based on that, my guess is that people who made offerings left her whatever type of cake they normally made at that time of year, which is generally some variety of Stollen (a light fruitcake).

This recipe sounds delicious, I may have to try it!
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/stollen.html

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 02:43:54 am »
Quote from: catja6;31777
I've never come across an actual recipe, just remarks in various folklore collections about cakes and/or milk being left out for her; I've also come across some traditions that have her punishing (by disemboweling!) those who eat certain types of cakes on January 5 (though in Bavaria IIRC, one should eat a super-greasy cake so she can't slice you open).  Based on that, my guess is that people who made offerings left her whatever type of cake they normally made at that time of year, which is generally some variety of Stollen (a light fruitcake).

alot of the things I read on it mentioned braided loaves.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 01:01:56 pm »
Quote from: catja6;31777

What I'm working with is this entry from Grimm:

On the same occasion she [Perchta] cuts open any one's body, that has not eaten zemmede (54) that day [night before Twelfth day], takes out any other food he has had, and fills the empty space with hay or straw wisps and bricks, and at last sews his body up again, using a ploughshare for a needle, and for thread a röhm chain.---P. 159:

54. Made of flour and milk or water, and baked in a pan: fasting fare, evidently.

Based on other regional traditions (ex.he who doesn't eat on Christmas day will see the golden boar) I'm guessing its a food ritual pretty similar to Thanksgiving, where one doesn't eat until the feast.

Stollen (which is good, btw :) ) might work because its so dense. Grimm makes it sound like a bland cake that just fills one rather than being something to savor. I keep thinking of potato pancakes, personally.

It's something I'd like to do this year, but I guess I might have to improvise the cake part.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 06:46:45 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;31837

It's something I'd like to do this year, but I guess I might have to improvise the cake part.

I just picked up Claude Lecouteux's Phantom Armies of the Night, about European Wild Hunt traditions; it is, so far, an excellent roundup of the ancient and medieval (mainly clerical) sources for various traditions.  There's a lot of information of Frau Holle/Perchta/etc., and there's at least one tradition that does treat the leaving of food for her and her host as a sort of Thanksgiving.  You might want to pick up the book, as there's a great deal of info there, and a good breakdown of the history of scholarly theorizing.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:16:43 pm »
Quote from: catja6;32432
I just picked up Claude Lecouteux's Phantom Armies of the Night, about European Wild Hunt traditions; it is, so far, an excellent roundup of the ancient and medieval (mainly clerical) sources for various traditions.  There's a lot of information of Frau Holle/Perchta/etc., and there's at least one tradition that does treat the leaving of food for her and her host as a sort of Thanksgiving.  You might want to pick up the book, as there's a great deal of info there, and a good breakdown of the history of scholarly theorizing.

I love this book, I picked up a couple of his others awhile ago. Good stuff.

(JB if you have a kindle app lemme know and I can loan you the above)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 03:02:21 am »
Quote from: catja6;32432

Seems like every time you open your mouth (or keyboard), my Amazon wishlist grows!  This looks like it's definitely right up my alley.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 02:35:14 pm »
Thanks, guys. :)

Quote from: Asch;32442

I do, and I'm sending you a pm. Thanks! :)

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 01:26:47 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;31837
Based on other regional traditions (ex.he who doesn't eat on Christmas day will see the golden boar) ...

"The golden boar?" Wow, what's that? Sounds mysterious!

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 02:29:55 am »
Quote from: Malkin;34158
"The golden boar?" Wow, what's that? Sounds mysterious!

Not really. :) It was a 'gold' hog brought out for feast with a possibly theatrical ritual procession.

I assume it would be like saying those who abstain from eating on Thxgiving see the golden turkey.

I'd have to track it down, but I think there is some "boar vision" stuff in folklore as well, though.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 02:29:10 pm »
Quote from: Asch;32442
I love this book, I picked up a couple of his others awhile ago. Good stuff.

Finished it with a day or so to spare! It was a good read-only a great compilation of all the folklore surrounding the wild hunt. Thanks again. :D

Tags: