Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Christmas movies you hate  (Read 6469 times)

LyricFox

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
Christmas movies you hate
« on: November 26, 2011, 03:52:54 pm »
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. For years it's been Christmas carols, but this year I decided to go for something a little different. Movies.

What Christmas movie do you just loathe? If it's one that has a lot of remakes (like A Christmas Carol), be sure you list the year.

And why. What makes you bah the humbug for this particular movie?
Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts\' Store: Doxy\'s Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas movies you hate
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 04:41:44 pm »
Quote from: LyricFox;31738
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. For years it's been Christmas carols, but this year I decided to go for something a little different. Movies.

What Christmas movie do you just loathe? If it's one that has a lot of remakes (like A Christmas Carol), be sure you list the year.

Christmas with the Kranks

To give a brief summary: Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis play the eponymous Kranks who decide to use the vulgar sum of money they normally spend on Christmas to go on a nice cruise.  Their neighbors act as though this act was the same as mass murder and spend the rest of the film bullying them (although Allen's character was pretty much a jerk).  Apparently there is this neighborhood decoration contest the block wins every year.  It sort of makes me wonder what would happen in a family who doesn't celebrate Christmas in any way moves in.  Hell, the fact that they decided not to celebrate Christmas made it on the front page of the local paper.

And that isn't the worse part.  2/3 of the way in, they find out at the last minute that their daughter decided to come home and so they admit they were wrong for going against mob mentality in order for their neighbors to help them pull off the perfect Christmas.

Gods, I hate this movie.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 05:37:57 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;31746
Gods, I hate this movie.

It does sound awful.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 08:16:21 pm »

Its a wonderful life.  I hated (yes hate)it, from when I was a little kid.  

The only scenes I liked was, when the old man stole the money, and Jimmy Stewart was yelling at the other old man for being a drunk. (These are the only scenes that had any relevance to my life, the others were not real to me).

I did not like the idea that one act could change, what happened to the town (Clarence shows Jimmy what would happen, if he did not live).  And everything turns up roses at the end.    

Today I won't watch it (tooooo many years of not being able to watch something else on the TV), I have my own TV and can watch what I want.  If I am at my mothers for the holiday, she has four TV's with cable, and VHS/DVD players (my sisters doing), makes for a more peaceful holiday.

My runner up is, any of the Christmas Carol/Scourge movies.  what I get from the story is that, you must conform to what the majority wants and believes.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 08:38:48 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;31766

That movie about the kid who wants a BB gun for Christmas. (Whatever its title is.) I've never seen the whole thing, just bits and pieces inadvertently. But it just doesn't do anything for me. (Although the continuing three-day marathons of Elf irritate me, as well. Which is another fairly recent Christmas movie I've not seen.)
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 09:57:01 pm »
Quote from: victoreia;31767

I'm having trouble finding the Christmas in Lethal Weapon :confused:

A channel advertised a Christmas Movie Marathon and had all four Lethal Weapon movies playing in a row... Its not a Christmas movie... Is it?

On topic again. I dislike Olive the Other Reindeer, but thats about it :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 12:09:03 am by Marilyn/Absentminded »

Jubes

• Staff
  • Location: Overlooking the bottom of a lake and the beginning of a river....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 12:13:06 am »
Quote from: LadyBug;31773

On topic again. I dislike Olive the Other Reindeer, but thats about it :)

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! :yikes::yikes: BUT BUT Olive  the other  reindeer  just wanted to HELP Santa and that  evil mailman  was  a  big bully!!!!

OH and that post  coming  from the   child  who  while babysitting tonight showed the  other  children  "ZOMBIELAND", I fail to  see the  Christmas in THAT show!!!:p

Anything  that's in  black and  white and NOT funny is going to be  my  choice for  Christmas movies I do not like! :D:
Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 12:47:15 am »

Santa Claus conquerors the Martians has it hands down.  it's a horrible film and deserves it's place on the worst movies list.

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 01:10:01 am »
Quote from: victoreia;31767
That movie about the kid who wants a BB gun for Christmas. (Whatever its title is.) I've never seen the whole thing, just bits and pieces inadvertently. But it just doesn't do anything for me. (Although the continuing three-day marathons of Elf irritate me, as well. Which is another fairly recent Christmas movie I've not seen.)

WHAT???  You don't like A Christmas Story??  That movie is hilarious!  That and The Ref with Denis Leary are my two favorites!  

As for most hated, (and I'll probably get a similar reaction I gave here) is that Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer stop-animation movie they have to play every year since 1960 or whenever they made that abomination.  I think it's on again this weekend actually.  Also that Frosty the Snowman stop-animation one is horrible too. Not sure why but, but I completely despise those two.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Jubes

• Staff
  • Location: Overlooking the bottom of a lake and the beginning of a river....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 01:37:36 am »
Quote from: Etheric1;31786
WHAT???  

As for most hated, (and I'll probably get a similar reaction I gave here) is that Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer stop-animation movie they have to play every year since 1960 or whenever they made that abomination.  I think it's on again this weekend actually.  Also that Frosty the Snowman stop-animation one is horrible too. Not sure why but, but I completely despise those two.

OH yea I forgot about those.....those ARE horrible and  you would think in this  day and age  of "let's re-make every  movie possible 1000 times a  year"  they  could  see fit to  re-make  those  2  movies  with some better  quality! They were good in the  60's and  70's  but  yea COME ON  someone PLEASE, for the love of all things  holy  RE-MAKE  Frosty and Rudolph!!!!!!!
Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 07:00:55 am »
Quote from: Jubes;31780
OH and that post  coming  from the   child  who  while babysitting tonight showed the  other  children  "ZOMBIELAND", I fail to  see the  Christmas in THAT show!!!:p

It was an outstanding vote.. Or as the boys called it.. "The guy vote"

Quote from: Jubes;31789
OH yea I forgot about those.....those ARE horrible and  you would think in this  day and age  of "let's re-make every  movie possible 1000 times a  year"  they  could  see fit to  re-make  those  2  movies  with some better  quality! They were good in the  60's and  70's  but  yea COME ON  someone PLEASE, for the love of all things  holy  RE-MAKE  Frosty and Rudolph!!!!!!!

Whats wrong with black and white!?!

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 10:13:24 am »
Quote from: LadyBug;31773
I'm having trouble finding the Christmas in Lethal Weapon :confused:

A channel advertised a Christmas Movie Marathon and had all four Lethal Weapon movies playing in a row... Its not a Christmas movie... Is it?

Die Hard, and Die Hard 2 qualify as christmas movies under the same idea as Lethal Weapon, they are set during the holidays.  I think the rest just come in under the sequel idea.

I dislike christmas story.  there are others, but since we don't have a tv and I check out everything from the library, I don't have to put up with anything I don't like.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 10:33:32 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;31746

Oh boy! Yes.
Saw that one last year.
It is totally stupid.

Their daughter is a grown young woman, damn it. She doesn't need the x-mas sparkly magic! So go on your f...ing cruise.
And the neighbours, they are horrible. So I'd vote for: go on the cruise and move to somewhere x-mas is not celebrated. ;)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 02:10:40 pm »
What Christmas movie do you just loathe?

I hate A Christmas Story. I can't even begin to tell you how much I loathe this movie, much less why. I think it all starts with the voice of the narrator and combusts into vitriolic hate the more people go on about 'what an epic Christmas movie' it is.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 04:23:27 pm »

Jim Carey's version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  That movie ruined on of my favorite holiday stories for me, thanks to Carey's horrific acting.  Give me the animated version with Boris Karloff any day.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tags: