Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Who names their kid 'Adolf Hitler'?  (Read 10414 times)

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Who names their kid 'Adolf Hitler'?
« on: November 22, 2011, 03:59:03 pm »
Why would any loving parent give their children names like 'Adolf Hitler' and 'Aryan Nation'? Don't they realize what a burden those names are? :yikes:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/22/8952917-parents-of-adolf-hitler-campbell-lose-custody-of-newborn-hons

I really pity those kids.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Who names their kid 'Adolf Hitler'?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 04:39:36 pm »
Quote from: victoreia;31353
Why would any loving parent give their children names like 'Adolf Hitler' and 'Aryan Nation'? Don't they realize what a burden those names are? :yikes:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/22/8952917-parents-of-adolf-hitler-campbell-lose-custody-of-newborn-hons

The last line of the article really gets me:

The Campbells have denied that they are neo-Nazis.

Then why did they name one of their children after the most notorious neo-Nazi organization in the country?  If they were honest, I might be less harsh on them but they were clearly lying through their teeth when they said that.

I wonder if their names can be changed since they are now wards of the state?  Still, I can imagine the bullying those kids would go through and they probably will be messed up for life (if they don't change their name as adults, it would be impossible for them to get a job, for example).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:14:54 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;31358
Then why did they name one of their children after the most notorious neo-Nazi organization in the country?

Or after Adolph Hitler????
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 10:54:12 am »
Quote from: RandallS;31363
Or after Adolph Hitler????

I had to go look up the name of the third child, apparently that one is named after Heinrich Himmler, it's just not quite as obvious as the other two.  And the fourth is more of the same.

I would suspect, that if the children are wards of the state, once parental rights are completely terminated, they will probably become John, Mary, Anna, and William, or something like that.

My friend adopted 2 kids, the older one changed his name from Ricky Lee to Nathanial Richard in the adoption process, the younger one, the parents changed her name from Sasha to Anastasia, keeping the nickname.

My suggestion to the birth parents,  just quit.  Give them a nice unattached german name if it has to be german.  Lisel or Berend or Johann or Johanna. Cause the state is not going to let them take little  Annabella Eva Braun home.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Jubes

• Staff
  • Location: Overlooking the bottom of a lake and the beginning of a river....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:14:52 am »

The police  "kidnapped" the  child for it's own safety!!!!  Good grief  some  people  should  just  NOT be allowed to breed. Someone  get a court order and FIX that woman!!!:eek:
Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......

Rowanfox

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:30:24 am »

Well, Hollywood and rock stars have been doing this to kids for generations, although perhaps Moon Zappa is still less emotionally loaded than Adolph Hitler.

Bethesda Software had a contest for anyone having a kid on 11-11-11 and naming him/her Dovahkiin...... and yes, it happened.
http://gamerant.com/skyrim-baby-dovahkiin-bethesda-robk-116910/

Miss

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 04:55:24 pm »
Quote from: Rowanfox;31466
Well, Hollywood and rock stars have been doing this to kids for generations, although perhaps Moon Zappa is still less emotionally loaded than Adolph Hitler.

Bethesda Software had a contest for anyone having a kid on 11-11-11 and naming him/her Dovahkiin...... and yes, it happened.
http://gamerant.com/skyrim-baby-dovahkiin-bethesda-robk-116910/

I agree, there's lots of silly names that get placed on children.

I knew a girl named Strawberry and the teasing was relentless. I like Skyrim as well, but I can't believe someone named their child Dovahkiin! Least all the babies named after Twilight sound common.

My cousin named his daughter Athena. What are your thoughts on that? What deems a name silly enough for a parent to be ridiculed? I think Adolf is obviously a tasteless option, but where does everyone draw the line on baby names?

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 04:58:17 pm »
Quote from: Miss;32067
I agree, there's lots of silly names that get placed on children.

I knew a girl named Strawberry and the teasing was relentless. I like Skyrim as well, but I can't believe someone named their child Dovahkiin! Least all the babies named after Twilight sound common.

My cousin named his daughter Athena. What are your thoughts on that? What deems a name silly enough for a parent to be ridiculed? I think Adolf is obviously a tasteless option, but where does everyone draw the line on baby names?

Bare minimum - it has to be something I can yell at the top of my lungs without embarrassment, and it has to be something you can picture on letterhead.

If it doesn't pass those two requirements .. well.  *I* wouldn't do it.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 05:07:06 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;32069
Bare minimum - it has to be something I can yell at the top of my lungs without embarrassment, and it has to be something you can picture on letterhead.

Letterhead with CEO or MD behind it.  Yeah.. Those are my requirements as well.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 05:27:10 pm »

Yep. Mike is not an option for the Hunt family. Or Thor for my step son was right out.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 07:49:26 pm »

Celestial Ironhawk and Honeyfeather Spoonface it is then. :)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 08:51:10 pm »
Quote from: Morag;32106
Celestial Ironhawk and Honeyfeather Spoonface it is then. :)

:D::D::D:

Just wondering: could you really yell "Honeyfeather Spoonface" at the top of your lungs in the neighborhood with a straight face? :ange:
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 01:45:50 am »
Quote from: victoreia;32125
:D::D::D:

Just wondering: could you really yell "Honeyfeather Spoonface" at the top of your lungs in the neighborhood with a straight face? :ange:

Yep.

I've done it. ;)

(It's actually a nickname I go by; I've introduced myself as that with a straight face.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 07:25:12 am »
Quote from: Morag;32164
Yep.

I've done it. ;)

(It's actually a nickname I go by; I've introduced myself as that with a straight face.)

I was thinking about that.  I wasn't sure about the "Spoonface" part, but I was confident that you'd have no more difficulty in yelling, "Honeyfeather!" at the top of your lungs than I would in yelling, "Sunflower!".  (Keeping a straight face when introducing myself as "Lady Sunflower" was harder, but what I was refraining from laughing at wasn't me - the person to whom I was introducing myself had just introduced herself as "Lady M------," in tones that clearly conveyed a conviction that anyone to whom she was speaking would be awestruck at meeting a real live coven leader, and would defer to her accordingly.  HPMS, it's like Domitis, but for witches:rolleye::.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

sparrow

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 03:57:26 pm »

I didn't realize the state could take your kids away if they didn't like the name you chose. These people are NUTS and should definitely change the names (!) but I think foster care might be way harder than living with eccentric parents. I knew so many kids in foster care in school, and I did not know a single one who was not seriously troubled. One boy was caught torturing animals.

My niece was adopted out of the system, and we slowly started hearing her horror stories about what happened to her at the hands of her foster mother. My aunt was raised by a foster family for 14 years, and when they had their own baby they threw her back into the system without a thought. One of my best friends is still in therapy dealing with what happened to him in foster care.

In NO WAY am I saying that every child who was in the system will end up troubled, and I'm sure there are success stories and cases where the child really needed to be removed, but over a (very) stupid name? From what I've seen it is a very faulty system and I would put it down as a last resort. Take the parents to court if they refuse to change the name.

Tags: