"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Using Tarot Cards in Spellwork  (Read 1693 times)

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
Using Tarot Cards in Spellwork
« on: November 20, 2011, 01:23:04 pm »
First, off, Hello again. =) I've disappeared for some time. We moved across country and all that jazz.

I'm hoping you all could give me your opinion/experience.

I've heard here and there that some people utilize their tarot cards in their spells. Does this lend extra energy? If you have done this, has it helped any?

Also, how would you go about using your cards for magic? Does the major arcana or minor arcana help best?

Basically, this is pretty new to me. Any info would be greatly appreciated, as always. =)
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Using Tarot Cards in Spellwork
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 05:56:15 pm »
Quote from: Nuri;31088
I've heard here and there that some people utilize their tarot cards in their spells. Does this lend extra energy? If you have done this, has it helped any?

Generally, I think it is more of a way to focus your spell than a source of extra energy. Using Tarot cards associated with spell goal helps focus the energy toward that goal.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 07:09:35 pm »

Also, how would you go about using your cards for magic? Does the major arcana or minor arcana help best?

What Randall said, mostly - they're a great way to focus your intention more clearly, rather than, say, a tool that's lending power or oomph to your working directly.

The way I most commonly use them is to pick a card (sometimes 2 or 3, if it's a bigger/longterm working) and use it as a focus. This works especially well for me if I'm doing something where I leave the altar set up for a period (a prosperity working with a daily component that goes on for a period of time, for example, might have the 10 of Pentacles on it. A long-term "open my life to love" spell might have the Lovers on it.)

I might also use the card as an anchor for other symbology - for example, if I'm also making a talisman or drawing for a focus, I might use the card to give me ideas for symbols, shapes, or associations. Ditto on colors.

As to major vs. minor arcana - honestly, it depends on the focus of the working. Thinking back, I'm somewhat more inclined to use the minor than the major, just because there are more cases where that's the best fit for practical workings. But I can definitely think of times I'd use a Major card
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 07:11:19 pm »
what i said

Thank you guys! As always, much appreciated. =)
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

Tags: