collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 1188 times)

Senola Kari

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Hello everyone!
« on: November 15, 2011, 09:13:46 am »
I am Senola Kari. I'm on a couple other forums/sites, but I'm relatively new there, too. I'm 18 years old, your typical broke college student with a twist.

I belong to a family that is entirely (with the exception of myself, of course) Christian, mainly Roman Catholic. I have been interested in Witchcraft and Paganism ever since I was extremely small, and even wrote working spells.

Then, as is inevitable, I aged, and doubt set in when my school was closed by the local diocese. A church I so dearly loved was closed as well. Hurt to the core, I left the church, not to return, in order that I may further pursue the path that had been calling my name for a long time.

Today I am a solitary eclectic Wiccan (though I think I may classify a bit more as generally pagan rather than Wiccan), using the Assyro-Babylonian pantheon and pulling from other sources as well, especially a technique called pop culture magick (Taylor Ellwood popularized the term; only recently did I find the practice had a name). I've experienced an openness of mind and spirit I have never had before. I'm proud to be a part of this group and hope to make some good friends here. :)

Senola

-Senola
Please light a candle at my shrine to Ishtar and Tammuz. http://nshrine.com/shrine/IshtarAndTammuz

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 11:54:46 am »
Quote from: Senola Kari;30300
I am Senola Kari. I'm on a couple other forums/sites, but I'm relatively new there, too. I'm 18 years old, your typical broke college student with a twist.

I belong to a family that is entirely (with the exception of myself, of course) Christian, mainly Roman Catholic. I have been interested in Witchcraft and Paganism ever since I was extremely small, and even wrote working spells.

Then, as is inevitable, I aged, and doubt set in when my school was closed by the local diocese. A church I so dearly loved was closed as well. Hurt to the core, I left the church, not to return, in order that I may further pursue the path that had been calling my name for a long time.

Today I am a solitary eclectic Wiccan (though I think I may classify a bit more as generally pagan rather than Wiccan), using the Assyro-Babylonian pantheon and pulling from other sources as well, especially a technique called pop culture magick (Taylor Ellwood popularized the term; only recently did I find the practice had a name). I've experienced an openness of mind and spirit I have never had before. I'm proud to be a part of this group and hope to make some good friends here. :)

Senola

-Senola

Welcome!
[Now using the Cryfder account]

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 02:07:03 pm »

Welcome to the Cauldron!

Miluna

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 06:38:09 pm »

Senola

-Senola

Welcome!
My blog - An Open Flame

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:44:49 pm »
....and pulling from other sources as well, especially a technique called pop culture magick (Taylor Ellwood popularized the term; only recently did I find the practice had a name).

Welcome to TC, Senola. What is "pop culture magic"?
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Senola Kari

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 10:01:31 am »
Thank you all.

Quote from: RandallS;30396
Welcome to TC, Senola. What is "pop culture magic"?

Pop culture magick is the practice of working with fictional characters, from books/tv shows/video games/etc. It is a form of chaos magick. A lot of people are on the fence about it. From my personal experience, however, it has worked very well. I am fond of practicing it when I have to keep things on the down-low.
Please light a candle at my shrine to Ishtar and Tammuz. http://nshrine.com/shrine/IshtarAndTammuz

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 10:43:58 am »
Quote from: Senola Kari;30450

Pop culture magick is the practice of working with fictional characters, from books/tv shows/video games/etc. It is a form of chaos magick. A lot of people are on the fence about it. From my personal experience, however, it has worked very well. I am fond of practicing it when I have to keep things on the down-low.

I think that this idea is cool anyway.
Ponder to work with Granny Weatherwax for years now, just never got around to doing it. ;)

Welcome to TC!
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 04:20:20 pm »
Quote from: Senola Kari;30450
Pop culture magick is the practice of working with fictional characters, from books/tv shows/video games/etc. It is a form of chaos magick.

That would explain why I haven't heard of it before -- I don't pay much attention to chaos magick as it doesn't match the way I think.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Senola Kari

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 07:01:24 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;30504
That would explain why I haven't heard of it before -- I don't pay much attention to chaos magick as it doesn't match the way I think.

Yeah, chaos magick doesn't correspond too well to my train of thought either, to be honest. I used Pop Culture Magick before I even knew what it was (puts on hipster glasses), and then a practicing friend told me that she had Ellwood's book on the subject - only after some research did I find that it was mostly used by chaotes. However, the others I talked to that practiced it didn't know what chaos magick even was and followed a straight-up Wiccan philosophy, but worked with PCM successfully for quite a while. That's when I became dedicated to it.

Tags: