collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: How To Rid Yourself of A Ghost, But Not All.  (Read 4273 times)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
How To Rid Yourself of A Ghost, But Not All.
« on: November 13, 2011, 03:48:37 pm »
I have a friend who lives in a creepy house. She's always complained about the weird goings-on in this house from the day that I first met her. There are four or five entities that live in her home, most of which seem to be in a guardian type role. They're friendly and caring and just tend to look out for the residents of said home. However, there is this one spirit that is distinctly anti-people. As she says, he "gives the heeby-jeebies." She's mentioned repeatedly about getting rid of said spirit.

Today, I offered to smudge for her if she wanted. She made an affirmative response, but only if the smudging would remove Mr. Negative Nancy over there and none of the other spirits in the home.

So.

1. If I smudge on her behalf, will this get rid of all spirits or just the one we're/I'm focused on?
2. Should I even bother?
3. What would you do in this situation?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: How To Rid Yourself of A Ghost, But Not All.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 04:31:36 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;30051

1. If I smudge on her behalf, will this get rid of all spirits or just the one we're/I'm focused on?
2. Should I even bother?

1) It is very hard to get rid of any spirit without knowing the circumstances of why it is there.

2) I mean if it inst harming anyone, and there just scared of it being there, maybe they need to reach out to it and explain their fears, sometimes a spirit will understand and leave them alone, it has happen to a friend of mine. The ghost wasn't hurting them but scaring the crap out of them, but not on purpose. They ask that it not show it self so much and make so much noise, and the events became less and they never saw him again.

3)I would try to find some history about the house and maybe speak to the spirit and try and figure out what going on, before you try and get rid of it. It could back fire and then you got a pissed off spirit, that won't ever leave now.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Lonstar

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 04:47:15 pm »

2. Should I even bother?

1. Smudging on its own won't do much IMO. You might as well be painting. It's the accompanying actions/thoughts/intent that gets 'rid' of the spirits.
2. If she wants to move the spirits on and you want to try do it, why not?
3. Ask her to move somewhere for a night, set up my cameras/do ghost hunt. Then hold conversation with spirits asking them why they here/if there is something I can do and to please move on.

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 04:59:22 pm »
I have a friend who lives in a creepy house. She's always complained about the weird goings-on in this house from the day that I first met her. There are four or five entities that live in her home, most of which seem to be in a guardian type role. They're friendly and caring and just tend to look out for the residents of said home. However, there is this one spirit that is distinctly anti-people. As she says, he "gives the heeby-jeebies." She's mentioned repeatedly about getting rid of said spirit.

Today, I offered to smudge for her if she wanted. She made an affirmative response, but only if the smudging would remove Mr. Negative Nancy over there and none of the other spirits in the home.

So.

2. Should I even bother?

Just to add, if this spirit is something that's shown to be hostile you do need to think this through if you are going to try to banish it.  This can be serious business.  Yes smudging can work, but that doesn't mean it's automatically easy.  You need to realize you are going to actively provoke something in an effort to get it to leave.  I'm not saying don't do it, but for sure be careful with this kind of stuff.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 06:02:34 pm »

So.

2. Should I even bother?

The chance of removing a single entity are very slim, especially so without knowing why the entity is there to begin with.  The other facet is you have to know exactly where each entity is located, what its area or range is and to some degree any interaction there is between them.  In my experience when you have multiple entities at a location thier energy becomes cross connected unless they are very specifically located to restricted areas.

As a rule smudging does nothing to change the presense or intensity of thier presence.  They are not a free roam or unattached energy so you can't just sweep them under the rug or change the way they influence the area.  However, smudging can very much piss one off, especially if it is an active entity and not simply a ghostly echo impressed upon the spot.

With regard to trying i'd suggest before you do that to actually try and speak to them all.  Sometimes you'll find out that an entity is angry because they feel you do not connect to their home the way they do.  Other times it can be as simple as rearraging a room or cleaning up a room to appease them and thier anger or disposition changes.  I've seen some where the entity was mostly bound to a certain area and let its displeasure become known when the area was changed drastically or became very cluttered.  I actually think at tieems the stories of certain fae being helpful or disruptive originates with entities who really become upset at the way their former homes are being kept.

For the record I use entity as a descriptor as I do not and can not from your write say if you have a Ghost, Spectre, Revenant, Poltergeist, Apparition, etc.

My self before I tried such a thing i'd first research the history of the place to see who the entities are or what may have helped create them.  Try to speak to them to see why they remain earth bound and especially seek to determine if they are time trapped or actually aware of their area.  The history will also tell you if it is even possible to get them to move on or be driven off.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 06:25:47 pm »
2. Should I even bother?

Smudging is unlikely to get rid of any spirits who permanently reside there -- especially those bound to the area for some reason. Banishing one spirit while leaving others can be done, but its a major magical undertaking and requires a good deal of knowledge aboput the entities in the area, their reasons for being there, their relationships with each others and the area, etc.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 06:29:31 pm »

2. Should I even bother?

#1.  It depends on how you do it.  If you approach it very woo-woo and spiritual-like you could find yourself caught up in a soap opera.  If you do it pragmatically, from the perspective that it is your friend's house and she gets to decide who stays in it it becomes much simpler.  (more in #3)

#2.  If you think it's worth it.  Your friend may just like having something scary to complain about, or is complain/bragging and would actually miss the spirit if it was gone.  As long as she isn't likely to be provoked into doing something stupid (the main way spirits can negatively affect the living) it shouldn't really be a problem to leave it alone.

#3.  If I decided that she really did want to be rid of this one but not the others, and if I felt like it, I would bring over smudging supplies a few days in advance and let them sit in a corner.  I would get her to talk about the spirits - there, not online or at a coffee shop - and explain how she tells them apart.

As she talks, start building a picture of each one, and designate some kind of name or descriptor to each one.  It won't matter that you don't know their names - it is you that needs to have their identities clear; they already know themselves.  Try not to let her get vague or mix them together.  If they really are separate entities then she needs to recognize this thoroughly, so you can.

Once you have them separated in your mind, you can start.  Ideally, you will by this time have had some experience of them yourself, since calling and naming things tends to make them manifest.

Draw or envision a net, made of whatever material you find most useful (I use soft gold).  In this net make holes that can only be filled by the spirits you are letting stay.  Names and descriptors will go into shielding these holes so that the evicted one can't fit them.  There is a game show called 'Hole in the Wall' or something like that that I like to use as a pattern, but the same kind of hole in the world you would use for a seance will work here.

Draw the net through the house.  (mentally, unless you feel better running up and down stairs and around the outside)  Start at the basement and do not close the net - keep it flat.  When you get to the top of the house lower the corners to the ground so it becomes a tent over the house.  Don't flip it or turn it inside out.  The inimical spirit will be left on the outside and, while it may haunt the grounds for a while, it will probably get bored and go away.

Then smudge the house the way you normally would, but making sure to send the smoke out through the net-holes to help push the spirit away.

You shouldn't have to do this more than once, but it is a lot of work and is rather time-consuming.  I would expect it to take at least a week, maybe two.  That's why I say to make sure she really wants it, and you have the time and energy and desire to invest in it.

There are probably other ways to do it, but I'm no more sympathetic to spirits in my space (whether it started out as theirs or not) than I am to critters and don't generally indulge them with excessive research and compassion.  Except when I do. :)

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 06:55:26 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;30077
#1.  It depends on how you do it.  If you approach it very woo-woo and spiritual-like you could find yourself caught up in a soap opera.  If you do it pragmatically, from the perspective that it is your friend's house and she gets to decide who stays in it it becomes much simpler.  (more in #3)

Not directed at you specifically but used to link response.

Just out of curosity is anyone aware of any sort of documented case where a singular entity has been removed by smudging?  At no time in my life (i'm 52) have I seen an entity removed due to cleansing an area nor selectively getting one to leave and not influence any others that have been present.

There are plently of documented cases where its been tried and the entities remain but that usually involves some form of exorcism or bannishing which doesn't even guarentee perminate success.  In some instances I have seen bridging done to allow a desiring entity to cross over but its own desire has been the critical facet there not what the psychopomp or exorcist desired.

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 07:23:10 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;30084

Just out of curosity is anyone aware of any sort of documented case where a singular entity has been removed by smudging?  At no time in my life (i'm 52) have I seen an entity removed due to cleansing an area nor selectively getting one to leave and not influence any others that have been present.

There are plently of documented cases where its been tried and the entities remain but that usually involves some form of exorcism or bannishing which doesn't even guarentee perminate success.  In some instances I have seen bridging done to allow a desiring entity to cross over but its own desire has been the critical facet there not what the psychopomp or exorcist desired.

Documented?  No.  At least, none that I've personally run across.  But when I was part of a local ghost hunting group we did smudge a few times without anything much more elaborate and the clients reported their troubles as no longer present afterwards.  In each of those cases we were unable to capture any solid data that made us certain there was something there for sure.  Not that there wasn't of course, we just didn't catch anything we couldn't explain away.

So make take on it yes it can work on it's own, but in those cases the clients weren't feeling like they had anything particularly nasty going on, but more of an uneasiness and a feeling of being unwanted or uncomfortable.  The clients reported things were better afterwards. So take that for what it's worth.

I think smudging is best to remove residual negativity, but if there is something that's reportedly more aggressive - such as a person being touched/pushed, or things being moved, etc, just smudging alone is probably going to piss it off, or make it go hide for a bit.  If it's something that seems to feed on negativity, if a person smudges and it doesn't work, it can empower the entity further.  I think if there's going to be smudging done, a person should have other tools in their toolbox, such as a banishing ritual for example.

To me, there is a significant difference between cleaning and banishing, even though I've heard those terms used somewhat interchangeably.  Smudging I've used several times to make a place "feel" better and it's worked well for that, but actively removing something is a bigger action.  I think a person should be ask themselves, "What am I going to do if this doesn't work?  What do I do if things get worse?"
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 07:55:06 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;30086
Documented?  No.  At least, none that I've personally run across.  But when I was part of a local ghost hunting group we did smudge a few times without anything much more elaborate and the clients reported their troubles as no longer present afterwards.  In each of those cases we were unable to capture any solid data that made us certain there was something there for sure.  Not that there wasn't of course, we just didn't catch anything we couldn't explain away.

I always wonder about situations like that.  Many times I actually wonder if its not a self created egregore they are dealing with vice an entity of some sort.  You (collective) do a cleansing or smudge and things seem to get better as the negativity is pushed away for a bit.

I have something similiar at my home right now due to my son and his family living with us.  They are on the verge of a divorce and the constant bickering and tension is like gas and it keeps eruting as I can't disapate it fast enough to clear the area.

So make take on it yes it can work on it's own, but in those cases the clients weren't feeling like they had anything particularly nasty going on, but more of an uneasiness and a feeling of being unwanted or uncomfortable.  The clients reported things were better afterwards. So take that for what it's worth.

I find that at times living beings get that sense I highlighted in your response.  Many times it seems to be a by product of death energy being rubbed up against living energy.  It's not even really a negative energy but is inverse to the living energy surrounding living creatures or things.

I think smudging is best to remove residual negativity, but if there is something that's reportedly more aggressive - such as a person being touched/pushed, or things being moved, etc, just smudging alone is probably going to piss it off, or make it go hide for a bit.  If it's something that seems to feed on negativity, if a person smudges and it doesn't work, it can empower the entity further.  I think if there's going to be smudging done, a person should have other tools in their toolbox, such as a banishing ritual for example.

I agree with that.  I find poltergeist type activity is also increased after a smudge or banishing ritual.  Ironically one of the best recorded examples of that type is actually the records dealing with the Bell Cave Witch of Tennessee.  Though I've read a few things about Borley Rectory that suggested it increased as well after some attempts were made there, granted though that place is no more as it burnt down.

To me, there is a significant difference between cleaning and banishing, even though I've heard those terms used somewhat interchangeably.  Smudging I've used several times to make a place "feel" better and it's worked well for that, but actively removing something is a bigger action.  I think a person should be ask themselves, "What am I going to do if this doesn't work?  What do I do if things get worse?"

I too think of them as clearly two seperate actions

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 08:07:53 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;30076
Smudging is unlikely to get rid of any spirits who permanently reside there -- especially those bound to the area for some reason. Banishing one spirit while leaving others can be done, but its a major magical undertaking and requires a good deal of knowledge aboput the entities in the area, their reasons for being there, their relationships with each others and the area, etc.

Randall has pretty much summed up my thoughts here. Smudging works great for removing negative energy and it can keep negative entities at bay temporarily. It can also help bring a feeling of calm and well-being to an area.  In my experience it doesn't do much to get rid of a spirit who is attached to a specific place, object, or person.  

I've done the kind of banishing that Randall mentioned and it is a major undertaking. In addition to what he's mentioned, you also run the risk of putting yourself in harm's way while doing the work.  It's not something I recommend trying unless a) there's an immediate threat to a child's well-being, b) you've tried everything else and it's all failed, and c) you have a good deal of experience in dealing with both spirits and banishing.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 10:32:07 am »
Quote from: Celtag;30064

2) I mean if it inst harming anyone, and there just scared of it being there, maybe they need to reach out to it and explain their fears, sometimes a spirit will understand and leave them alone, it has happen to a friend of mine. The ghost wasn't hurting them but scaring the crap out of them, but not on purpose. They ask that it not show it self so much and make so much noise, and the events became less and they never saw him again.

Hanging my post on this.

I don't have much experience with spirits, ghosts, what have you. I've only come into contact with them maybe three times in my life, outside of dead relatives or friends, and I'm generally pretty skeptical.

That said, a few years ago my sister asked for my help with an entity that was scaring the heck out of my younger nephew. Nephew kept complaining about a monster who lived in the attic and would come into his room and stare at him at night.

Anyway, we went up to the attic and had a little chat. We were very firm about the fact that it wasn't okay to scare the kid like that, and told it to leave the boy alone.

It must have worked because even though we didn't tell my nephew what we'd done, he stopped complaining about the monster.

So, I'd try talking first.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 11:54:20 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;30084

To be completely frank, I mentioned smudging to her in an effort to make her feel better. I figured a good smudge would be more for her benefit. She seems to be the only one bothered by all of this.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 11:59:39 am »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;30077
#2.  If you think it's worth it.  Your friend may just like having something scary to complain about, or is complain/bragging and would actually miss the spirit if it was gone.  As long as she isn't likely to be provoked into doing something stupid (the main way spirits can negatively affect the living) it shouldn't really be a problem to leave it alone.

To be completely frank, I always assumed that this was the category she fell in. She mentions it periodically and then, only for brief spurts of time. It's like, once the interest of others fizzles out, IMO, she stops mentioning it again. However, I've spoken to her a time or two about this issue without her having talked about it first and I do believe she's honestly frightened.

Again, I think she is the only one in her house who is, however.

Also, I think this is kind of her own doing. I know that last year or the year before, she stupidly thought it would be awesome to bring a Ouija board into her home and have a seance. I know she mentioned that things got "dicey," whatever that may mean, and asked my advice on getting rid of it. I told her my opinions about it and that I didn't want to discuss Ouija boards with her again. (I find them frightening tools, myself, and refuse to allow them in my home.) I think things with the ghosts 'picked up' after this incident, so, again, I kind of feel like she's getting what she asked for.

However, she is a friend and I hate seeing friends in distress. :/
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 03:18:41 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;30154
To be completely frank, I always assumed that this was the category she fell in. She mentions it periodically and then, only for brief spurts of time. It's like, once the interest of others fizzles out, IMO, she stops mentioning it again. However, I've spoken to her a time or two about this issue without her having talked about it first and I do believe she's honestly frightened.

Again, I think she is the only one in her house who is, however.

Also, I think this is kind of her own doing. I know that last year or the year before, she stupidly thought it would be awesome to bring a Ouija board into her home and have a seance. I know she mentioned that things got "dicey," whatever that may mean, and asked my advice on getting rid of it. I told her my opinions about it and that I didn't want to discuss Ouija boards with her again. (I find them frightening tools, myself, and refuse to allow them in my home.) I think things with the ghosts 'picked up' after this incident, so, again, I kind of feel like she's getting what she asked for.

However, she is a friend and I hate seeing friends in distress. :/

I can appreciate those feelings.  But I would agree with your assessment that this is probably something she brought on herself and needs to take responsibility for.  If she thought it would be cool to hold a seance I bet she did little to no protective work beforehand.  This could be her life lesson to deal with.  She made the mess, she can clean it up.  It doesn't sound like she has something especially dangerous from what's been described.  

Sometimes you gotta let a person cope with their actions.  It's great you want to help, but from what you've described, this is something she needs to deal with.

Tags: