Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Parents of Rats - Discussion  (Read 3982 times)

Miss Stoddard

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.exhibited-sim.com/register?referid=333
Parents of Rats - Discussion
« on: November 10, 2011, 07:21:55 pm »
I am currently a rat mother of four. One is my heart rat, Seven which is proudly featured in my avatar and signature. I've had her for a few months, and is now approximately a year old. Mary-Jane [black hooded] and Snowfluff [dumbo Himalayan] are my boyfriend's girls who are both very sweet and loving, not to mention beautiful. And then there's Chuck [double-rex], who has no cage-mate and has some flaws that we're working on. Sadly, we're looking for a new owner for him, with little luck so far.

I love all four, but as bad as it may seem, the girls are our pride. Chuck could be a wonderful pet, but we got him in a sort of bad situation. He'd spent what I'm guessing would be the majority of his life thus far in a pet store that poorly manages their rats, mice, and hamsters. A tiny glass aquarium with mixed males and females. There was one with a momma rat and her littler. We'd of taken a baby if they'd only been a couple weeks older. :(

Beyond that, we decided to take Chuck in hope that we'd be able to give him what he needed in a home. While he has good shelter, daily food and water, and a roomy cage, he's also very nippy and difficult to hold. He's shy, and usually dislikes being touched unless you take the time to very gently pet his back - during these times he gets sleepy, even with his head buried in the couch cushions.

Our three girls are a different story, all having come from PetSmart in Joplin, MO. I like getting rats there because they're all vet-checked and quarantined before being put out. I've never taken any of the girls to the vet due to a health complication, and they're all curious, active, and nosy. My little Seven being the more spoiled "mommy's girl" of the bunch. :P

Tell me about your bundles of joy!

Also, any helpful advice for Chuck from pet-rat-owner to pet-rat-owner? :/

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Rats - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 11:28:50 pm »
Quote from: Miss Stoddard;29702
I am currently a rat mother of four. One is my heart rat, Seven which is proudly featured in my avatar and signature. I've had her for a few months, and is now approximately a year old. Mary-Jane [black hooded] and Snowfluff [dumbo Himalayan] are my boyfriend's girls who are both very sweet and loving, not to mention beautiful. And then there's Chuck [double-rex], who has no cage-mate and has some flaws that we're working on. Sadly, we're looking for a new owner for him, with little luck so far.

I love all four, but as bad as it may seem, the girls are our pride. Chuck could be a wonderful pet, but we got him in a sort of bad situation. He'd spent what I'm guessing would be the majority of his life thus far in a pet store that poorly manages their rats, mice, and hamsters. A tiny glass aquarium with mixed males and females. There was one with a momma rat and her littler. We'd of taken a baby if they'd only been a couple weeks older. :(

Beyond that, we decided to take Chuck in hope that we'd be able to give him what he needed in a home. While he has good shelter, daily food and water, and a roomy cage, he's also very nippy and difficult to hold. He's shy, and usually dislikes being touched unless you take the time to very gently pet his back - during these times he gets sleepy, even with his head buried in the couch cushions.

Our three girls are a different story, all having come from PetSmart in Joplin, MO. I like getting rats there because they're all vet-checked and quarantined before being put out. I've never taken any of the girls to the vet due to a health complication, and they're all curious, active, and nosy. My little Seven being the more spoiled "mommy's girl" of the bunch. :P

how bizzare! I used to have a rat called seven!
as far as advice for chuck....I would take a page from my dog trainer background and try food.
offer him a treat that takes some time to nibble and hand feed it to him.
while he's eating it pet him with your other hand.
work up to having him held while receiving treats.
when the treat is done the handling is done.
also get him accustomed to your hands being in the cage or touching him while he is eating regular ratty foods.
this gets him people accustomed and eventually used to being handled.
work up to eventually handling and petting,with treats after wards not during.
he is probablyonlyused to people tapping his glass aquarium at the pet store and no real people interaction.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Miss Stoddard

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 12:53:39 am »
Quote from: spoOk;29729
how bizzare! I used to have a rat called seven!
as far as advice for chuck....I would take a page from my dog trainer background and try food.
offer him a treat that takes some time to nibble and hand feed it to him.
while he's eating it pet him with your other hand.
work up to having him held while receiving treats.
when the treat is done the handling is done.
also get him accustomed to your hands being in the cage or touching him while he is eating regular ratty foods.
this gets him people accustomed and eventually used to being handled.
work up to eventually handling and petting,with treats after wards not during.
he is probablyonlyused to people tapping his glass aquarium at the pet store and no real people interaction.

We've had him for a few months now, and trust me - I've tried a few methods that haven't worked. He squeaks when we try to pick him up, and I know he isn't hurting, he's just being cranky. How do I know this? He usually does fine until he starts getting into his own thing while out for playtime, so when you go to pick him up he gets irritated and squeaks until you put him down so he can keep on doing whatever he's doing. And he just bites. Sometimes he'll sit there and stare at you, then put his teeth around your finger before letting go and trompin' off. Sometimes he just downright lunges. I've done my best so far, and we've ever tried "forced" trust work, but where I think we should have had some success, we've had pretty much none. :( Anymore I just let him run around for awhile, feeding him treats and leavin' him to his own devices until he starts to try hiding in a corner.

It's why I feel hopeless with him.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:54:08 am by Miss Stoddard »

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 01:08:28 am »
Quote from: Miss Stoddard;29737
We've had him for a few months now, and trust me - I've tried a few methods that haven't worked. He squeaks when we try to pick him up, and I know he isn't hurting, he's just being cranky. How do I know this? He usually does fine until he starts getting into his own thing while out for playtime, so when you go to pick him up he gets irritated and squeaks until you put him down so he can keep on doing whatever he's doing. And he just bites. Sometimes he'll sit there and stare at you, then put his teeth around your finger before letting go and trompin' off. Sometimes he just downright lunges. I've done my best so far, and we've ever tried "forced" trust work, but where I think we should have had some success, we've had pretty much none. :( Anymore I just let him run around for awhile, feeding him treats and leavin' him to his own devices until he starts to try hiding in a corner.

It's why I feel hopeless with him.

:/

maybe he's just an ornery wanker?
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Miss Stoddard

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 01:17:35 am »
Quote from: spoOk;29739
:/

maybe he's just an ornery wanker?

It's a possibility! I've actually thought about that. He usually doesn't seem as scared, just more or less like this: "Don't pick me up, don't touch me, I will eat your finger."

I don't know, maybe I haven't tried hard enough, either. When he's out, he'll crawl all over me, but the moment I go to pet him or something, he spazzes out, throws a fit, and hides his face. Perhaps it's just his personality.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:17:27 am »
Quote from: Miss Stoddard;29740

Perhaps it's just his personality.

That's what it sounds like to me.

It's been a long time since I've been a rat mommy, but I've had many, many rats. They're all different. Different wants and needs, different personalities, etc. It sounds like Chuck just wants to do his thing and be left alone.

As long as he's eating, running about and doing normal rat things, I'd leave him be. I'd still talk to him, give him things to play with, etc. but I wouldn't keep trying to handle him if he doesn't enjoy it.

The biggest problem you could face with not handling him much would be if he starts to get a lump somewhere or an infection. You might not notice it soon enough. Then again, he's hairless right? So you might be able to see it if that happened.

I rescued a rat once who actually tricked me into thinking she'd be a cuddly  one. She was supposed to be food for a sick snake. The owners (friends of a friend) kept putting her into the snake's tank, but the snake wouldn't eat. Then they'd put her back into a tiny plastic carrier. Over and over they did this. She was pretty traumatized.

Anyway, I convinced them to get the snake to the vet, and to give me the poor little rat. Well, she ran up my arm and hid in my hair. She stayed there until I got her home and all set up in her new digs. Once she knew she was safe, she was over the whole contact thing. She never liked to be held, or pet. She would squeal, bite and run off no matter what I did. That's just the way she was.

Like I said, in my experience they're all different. I had one who used to like to hang upside down by her feet from the cage lid. Another who only bit people when they put their fingers through the cage bars, he hated that. Two brothers who would hide under furniture, wait for someone to walk by, then dash out, grab their toes and run back. It was game they played.

They're very interesting animals, for sure.

Miss Stoddard

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 04:13:04 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;29785
That's what it sounds like to me.

It's been a long time since I've been a rat mommy, but I've had many, many rats. They're all different. Different wants and needs, different personalities, etc. It sounds like Chuck just wants to do his thing and be left alone.

As long as he's eating, running about and doing normal rat things, I'd leave him be. I'd still talk to him, give him things to play with, etc. but I wouldn't keep trying to handle him if he doesn't enjoy it.

The biggest problem you could face with not handling him much would be if he starts to get a lump somewhere or an infection. You might not notice it soon enough. Then again, he's hairless right? So you might be able to see it if that happened.

I rescued a rat once who actually tricked me into thinking she'd be a cuddly  one. She was supposed to be food for a sick snake. The owners (friends of a friend) kept putting her into the snake's tank, but the snake wouldn't eat. Then they'd put her back into a tiny plastic carrier. Over and over they did this. She was pretty traumatized.

Anyway, I convinced them to get the snake to the vet, and to give me the poor little rat. Well, she ran up my arm and hid in my hair. She stayed there until I got her home and all set up in her new digs. Once she knew she was safe, she was over the whole contact thing. She never liked to be held, or pet. She would squeal, bite and run off no matter what I did. That's just the way she was.

Like I said, in my experience they're all different. I had one who used to like to hang upside down by her feet from the cage lid. Another who only bit people when they put their fingers through the cage bars, he hated that. Two brothers who would hide under furniture, wait for someone to walk by, then dash out, grab their toes and run back. It was game they played.

They're very interesting animals, for sure.

I love how full of love and personality each of them are. I'm a little depressed to know he's like that and dislikes contact with me. With that as a fact, I guess I'll know to find someone who probably doesn't have much time, but still likes to watch him play. <3

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 09:40:51 am »
Quote from: Miss Stoddard;29806
I love how full of love and personality each of them are. I'm a little depressed to know he's like that and dislikes contact with me. With that as a fact, I guess I'll know to find someone who probably doesn't have much time, but still likes to watch him play. <3

If it were me, I'd keep him. At least you already know about his personality quirks and he wouldn't have to go through the trauma of adapting to a new environment again.

Just a thought.

Miss Stoddard

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 08:03:03 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;29910
If it were me, I'd keep him. At least you already know about his personality quirks and he wouldn't have to go through the trauma of adapting to a new environment again.

Just a thought.

Well, that's why I'd explain what bit I do know. I also already plan giving up his cage with him. The fact is, he's a lonely intact male with no cage mate, and isn't let out much because of his tendencies. He usually acts like he could care less where he is as long as his cage is within his view. I'm also kinda moving out, and the girls will be more than enough for the moment. Since he's not as attached to us, I'm just going to try to re-home him. :/

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 10:35:12 am »
Quote from: Miss Stoddard;29965
Well, that's why I'd explain what bit I do know. I also already plan giving up his cage with him. The fact is, he's a lonely intact male with no cage mate, and isn't let out much because of his tendencies. He usually acts like he could care less where he is as long as his cage is within his view. I'm also kinda moving out, and the girls will be more than enough for the moment. Since he's not as attached to us, I'm just going to try to re-home him. :/

Well, you did ask for advise. IMO, explaining about his personality quirks to a new owner doesn't change the fact that Chuck will still have to adapt to a new environment, again.

You say he doesn't have a cage mate. Is that because he fights with the other male rat? If so, then he probably doesn't need one. In general they are very social creatures, but chuck might do better without a cage mate. Some rats do.

I have to be honest, here. I'm getting the impression that because he's not affectionate and cuddly like the others, you just don't want him. That frustrates me because I've seen it happen too many times. People get unusual pets, then when they don't live up to the persons expectations, they wind up bouncing from home to home, not getting the kind of care they need and deserve, and live very sad lives. It's not fair.

Obviously, if you can't take care of him you should give him to someone who can. I would advise in the future not taking in more animals than you can realistically care for.

Good luck, I hope you find someone who will love him quirks and all.

Miss Stoddard

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 11:43:40 am »
Quote from: Catherine;30005
Well, you did ask for advise. IMO, explaining about his personality quirks to a new owner doesn't change the fact that Chuck will still have to adapt to a new environment, again.

You say he doesn't have a cage mate. Is that because he fights with the other male rat? If so, then he probably doesn't need one. In general they are very social creatures, but chuck might do better without a cage mate. Some rats do.

I have to be honest, here. I'm getting the impression that because he's not affectionate and cuddly like the others, you just don't want him. That frustrates me because I've seen it happen too many times. People get unusual pets, then when they don't live up to the persons expectations, they wind up bouncing from home to home, not getting the kind of care they need and deserve, and live very sad lives. It's not fair.

Obviously, if you can't take care of him you should give him to someone who can. I would advise in the future not taking in more animals than you can realistically care for.

Good luck, I hope you find someone who will love him quirks and all.

I was looking for him a new home before hand, I was just kinda hoping that if there was a chance at him being cuddly, I could get it out of him before he went. I could care for him, but life doesn't always agree with choices and puts your through loops. That's where I'm going right now. If I really could have it my way, I'd keep him despite his quirkiness and super decorate his cage so he'd be well entertained.

He used to have several cage makes, packed into an aquarium cage that couldn't even hold five gallons - I figured his life with me thus far has been 100% better. He'd of been another snake's food. I bought him with no intention beyond just giving some rat another chance - and no, I'm not calling that rescuing - I once upon a time raised feeder rats since my dad was doing a crummy job caring for 'em.

I asked for advice - guilt as charged - again so I could hopefully figure him out well enough before I re-homed him. Trust me. If I can't find the right person, he'll never leave until he keels over from old age (or he get an unfix-able illness or tumor; that stuff puts a damper on everything).

His instability to like cuddling does kinda put me off. I'm so used to the girls who'll climb all over you and poke around your nose and mouth. This doesn't mean I don't enjoy him being around. It just means that my life right now is forcing me to at least look for a new, suitable home. Honestly, I've been poking around facebook for rat owners with good reps who'll meet me somewhere and take him.

Miss

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 04:05:48 pm »

I've owned rats in the past, but mainly focus on guinea pigs now.

Every rat definitely has their own personality. Some are affectionate and highly trainable, some stay shy/scared. I would get thick gloves and handle the rat as much as you can, giving it ample treats as a bit of a notion of friendship. His behavior might improve a little, a lot, or not at all.

Rats (and guinea pigs) are a lot of tough work! Lot's of people get them as starter pet's and end up feeding them a poor diet, getting an unsuitable cage, getting unhealthy bedding material ( ugh, ceder and pine are no-nos and they need to stop selling it to rat and guinea owners!).Aspen is the best bedding I used since paper bedding was too pricey. You have to freeze it for 48 hours prior to putting it into their cage to reduce the risk of mites, though. They also will most likely need vet attention at least once in their lives, and that's if you're lucky!

Not to sound preachy, but I don't think Petsmart is still the place to go for live animals. The glass containers they're in lead to ammonia build up and there's many homeless small animals in shelters. One of my ex boyfriends worked at Petsmart and they often sexed the animals wrong, leading to many baby rats that ended up getting thrown into the freezer for reptile food. He also was told to put a sick guinea pig in the freezer and ended up quitting right there.

Another thing that bothers me about petstores is that 90% of food on the shelves isn't actually good for them.

Miss

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 04:12:24 pm »
Quote from: Miss Stoddard;29965

Hopefully he'll find a good home! If you can't find a good home, then what kind of cage do you have since he can't be let out? As long as you check the bar spacing, there's some pretty roomy ferret cages! The one I had had large doors that opened up the cage completely to make it way more easy to clean as well.

Miss Stoddard

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 05:29:46 pm »
Quote from: Miss;30180
Hopefully he'll find a good home! If you can't find a good home, then what kind of cage do you have since he can't be let out? As long as you check the bar spacing, there's some pretty roomy ferret cages! The one I had had large doors that opened up the cage completely to make it way more easy to clean as well.

He lives in a nice sized bird cage. I'll be rigging more up to it, but I may give him away in his old home I just moved him from. It's an even bigger bird cage with thick bars. It's heavy, so I couldn't cay it downstairs myself. Which is why he's now in the slightly smaller cage. Either way, he doesn't seem phased. We still let him out since he still likes to run around. I just don't get to touch him while he's out haha. He's cranky.

Miss Stoddard

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 05:36:26 pm »
Not to sound preachy, but I don't think Petsmart is still the place to go for live animals. The glass containers they're in lead to ammonia build up and there's many homeless small animals in shelters. One of my ex boyfriends worked at Petsmart and they often sexed the animals wrong, leading to many baby rats that ended up getting thrown into the freezer for reptile food. He also was told to put a sick guinea pig in the freezer and ended up quitting right there.

Another thing that bothers me about petstores is that 90% of food on the shelves isn't actually good for them.

See, I keep hearing about that, but shockingly ours just seems to exceed this. They only get sent females from their "local breeder". And they have a real vet clinic within their building. Not to say their products are amazing, but you gotta get some of your stuff somewhere. I really have no problems with our girls though. All are healthy and happy. Besides that, none of the local shelters carry rats. :/

Tags: