Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Grounding and Centering Techniques  (Read 10487 times)

ThtreLady

• View Profile
Re: Grounding and Centering Techniques
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 12:28:08 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;29361

Does that help any? (I have hit the point where I may start rambling, so I'm going to stop here.)

As always, it helps enormously Jenett.  I think you might have been on of the first people to mention that I could try grounding into water when I was struggling so much with earth years ago.  

Thank you.

valeriei

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 12:34:08 am »
Quote from: Aisling;28973
Interestingly enough, I only find them effective at times when my thinking has shifted toward a more verbal-focus.  More interesting (at least to me) is that this kind of shift usually only happens when I am extremely stressed or depressed. Hmm... I think I need to wander off and think about that one for a bit.

First off I really want to say that I am sooo glad this thread is here. :o I am extremely new to all of this, so it is so great and helpful for me to see the things that I kind of "felt out" defined and kind of "brought into literal being" with words. Yay! Learning time!

Also, the reason why I quoted Aisling specifically is because my methods of centering and grounding are kind of related to this verbal thing!

I have always, since I was really small, been great at grounding, even subconsciously. I like to connect to the wood in my house that are the floorboards, the doors, the metal in the doorknobs, the knowledge that MY CLOTHES ARE PLANTS, and even fire... I love burning incense and imagining myself completely immersed in the smoke like I am part of the burning process and part of the embers and part of the release of that. I love to be outside and sprawl headlong in the grass and run it between my fingers and toes and over all of my skin; when I do focus meditation, my focal "object" is a large willow tree; I know that tree's bark like it is the back of my hand. I am an extremely tactile person.

Centering, however, has always been extremely difficult for me, and I think this is possibly because I have always been so obsessed and ecstatic about grounding. Even when I was really small and knew energy was all around me (I KNOW THIS IS BAD NOW, just as a fore-mentioned statement), when I was sitting in the mall waiting for my parents to come out of a store I would "play" with other people's energy... I know now that this is not a good thing to do, but as a little child I just let my imagination run wild and didn't realize it was something REAL. I have always been so immersed in the world around me and so CONNECTED to it that actually CENTERING, as Jenett said, recognizing what is me and what is not me and what belongs to me and what doesn't and exactly where the center of my being is, is a little tough for me.

And here is where the verbal thing comes in! I find that starting off centering with a verbal, OUT LOUD mantra, with words, something to focus on, something to watch in my mind as print, something to hear and feel resonating in my chest, is a great way to start centering when you are immersed in the energy of the world.

Being stressed and depressed, to me, means that the energy of the world is REALLY tied in with you. Something exterior is influencing you, some how you can't keep your shields up and rest easy and feel safe and whole... and I think that's related to centering. The more centered you are, the less stressed/depressed you are... the more stressed/depressed you are, the less centered you are.

So for me, when I am stressed, or when I am "all over the place" (too grounded, I guess? lol), a mantra, and words, really help me to start. I move from centering verbally (mentally, I suppose), with my mantra of choice, to centering physically, by doing what I always just called "scan meditations", where I scan my body head to toe, using a method where I "look at it, feel it, accept it as it is, and move on". If there is a pain, or an uncomfortability, in the "feel it" part, the accepting part is where I decide, is this minor? Am I being a lil bitch? Should I adjust my body or move on and recognize it isn't a big deal? I do a few scans til I feel content with my pains and complaints, then I do "autogenic training" where I physically relax my body. Once I've done these, I move on to "focus meditation", which is where I think the grounding comes in. This is where my wonderful beautiful loved tree is. <3 I sit under it, touch the bark, touch the grass, wrap myself in its leaves... whatever I have to do.

As far as shielding, it was so cool to see everyone's shields in this thread!!! :D I loved it. I never thought of variety or anything. I always just used my ... bodily energy? I guess? I don't know. It always manifests itself as white light I think, and sometimes, if I'm using certain parts of my own energy it's different colors depending on mood/etc.

I dunno. o: Just some ideas! I'm a HUGE noob though so maybe I'm calling things wrong or maybe I'm even doing something wrong.

Speaking of which, maybe it's bad to center before grounding before shielding? >_> I see everyone saying "grounding and centering" so maybe I should do it the other way around? I just always centered first 'cause like I said I feel too wishy-washy sometimes like I'm all spread out all over everything connected to everything and everyone 24/7, so I'm usually really desperate to try to separate myself from all that and really find where my center is (and I'm still really really really horrible at it I think) D:

waaaah long post I'm sorry. :( I'm just really excited to be here and actually getting to discuss things that I never felt able to talk about before!!!

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 07:36:09 am »
Quote from: valeriei;29872

Speaking of which, maybe it's bad to center before grounding before shielding? >_> I see everyone saying "grounding and centering" so maybe I should do it the other way around? I just always centered first 'cause like I said I feel too wishy-washy sometimes like I'm all spread out all over everything connected to everything and everyone 24/7, so I'm usually really desperate to try to separate myself from all that and really find where my center is (and I'm still really really really horrible at it I think) D:

You're right that everyone says "grounding and centering" - but I do it as "centering and grounding" and so do lots of people I know. (makes sense, when you think about what's actually going on: it makes more sense to know what's you and what isn't, and *then* deliberately connect to other things, right?)

The other thing to think about with being connected to lots of other things is that it's easy to 'give your energy away' (especially around people: some people will reach out and snag whatever extra is around them. Sometimes it's deliberate, sometimes it's that they're going through a hard patch, and are trying not to drown and are grabbing for whatever they can unconsciously.) Both centering and shielding can help a lot with that part.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 07:49:02 am »
Quote from: Jenett;29889
You're right that everyone says "grounding and centering" - but I do it as "centering and grounding" and so do lots of people I know. (makes sense, when you think about what's actually going on: it makes more sense to know what's you and what isn't, and *then* deliberately connect to other things, right?)

Some people need to ground first, then center. They are so flush with energy (theirs and others) that they can't easily find their self energy-wise, let alone find their center. Grounding first makes it much easier to find their center as it let's them drain off the excess energy.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Ainne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 08:53:14 am »
Quote from: ThtreLady;28847
Grounding and Centering is one of the first things that gets mentioned when someone starts talking about energy work or how they are feeling, but I seldom see (in the wider pagan universe) a conversation on technique.

For me at least, grounding and centering did not at all come naturally and I really struggled with this "first step" on the path. And because I struggled with grounding and centering, my shield work was a complete mess.  Which was, at the time, hugely discouraging since it seemed to be taken for granted that these were a skills anyone should be able to do.

Eventually, I had a couple of people walk me through their process step-by-step and we worked out something that I could use. This would likely have taken much less time if I hadn't been so shy about announcing my struggles to the world, but it's hard to admit that you aren't getting something.

So, since I am once again exploring various pieces of my belief system and practices - I'd like to go back to this "first step" and see if I can learn something new. (And maybe help other people who find themselves similarly stuck.)

When you find the need, how do you ground and center?  Are the certain motions you make? Images that you keep in mind?

This was also very difficult for me, and even after 13 years on the path, I still struggled!! I found about a year or 2 ago a great guided meditation; you envisioned yourself as a tree and your roots digging into the earth to get rid of all the negative energy and soak up the good stuff. While this is very traditional, it helps me immensely to have a guided meditation.
~*A witch, like the earth can be both immeasurably ancient and forever young*~

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 03:42:37 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;29890
Some people need to ground first, then center. They are so flush with energy (theirs and others) that they can't easily find their self energy-wise, let alone find their center. Grounding first makes it much easier to find their center as it let's them drain off the excess energy.

I can see that as a temporary tool, but in my experience, it doesn't hold up as well as the other way around for regular practice.

(Hmm. Now I'm pondering the fact that I know ways to crash-ground other people, but not ways to do the same thing for centering. For grounding, it's sometimes used in group work when someone can't get control of their own energy - doing so is, in my opinion, a bit rude without excellent reason, or an explicit teaching agreement that includes that kind of thing, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 05:47:42 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;29949
(Hmm. Now I'm pondering the fact that I know ways to crash-ground other people, but not ways to do the same thing for centering....)

I don't think it would be easy to "crash-center" someone. It'd probably be easier to do so with some who has worked with a lot, but even then I can really imagine how it might be done in a "crash/rapid" manner.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 02:31:11 pm »

I don't know if it is any help, but I center and ground by drawing energy into my center and then pushing a connection down into the center of the earth.  I only ground as much energy as I need to get rid of, though when I feel threatened I tend to pull a lot of energy in fast and ground it hard and fast and harden my shields at the same time.  

I am rarely totally ungrounded - I'm empathic and I seem to shield naturally when I am grounded - but some situations call for reinforcement or a defensive posture (so to speak).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:09:38 pm by Marilyn/Absentminded »
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Oaksworn

• Journeyman
  • Reality is but perception.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Energy worker, Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 11:49:02 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;29949
Now I'm pondering the fact that I know ways to crash-ground other people, but not ways to do the same thing for centering.

Would the use of a tuning fork/chime/bell/singing bowl be helpful in this instance?  I've found that if I'm having difficulty centering it's due to difficulty focusing - typically too much 'yittering' going on mentally.  By using sound, such as a chime, it gives me something specific to focus on and thereby eases the way to center.

From there, I'll Ground, Balance and Shield.  I use the stereotypical tree imagery - my roots sink deep into the earth and grip.  I feel the strength of that connection.  If you've ever wiggled your toes into the sand at the beach you're familiar with this.  The only difference is your toes are much longer and you're able to grip a large area of the earth with them.  Then, I begin pulling in energy from all around them up into my trunk, out my limbs into my leaves and then off into the heavens.  Once that stream is established I then feel the sun's rays on my leaves and feel the warmth spread from my leaves into my branches down my trunk and into my roots and the earth.

At this point I have two equal and opposite streams of energy flowing through me and I've Centered, Grounded and Balanced.  From here I'll Shield, which means I'll divert a bit of energy from each stream, wrap it around a core of my own energy and slowly, with each breath, expand the ball so the boundary rests just outside the reach of my fingertips.  The end result of my shield depends on the needs of the moment.

As you can see, my technique is very much predicated upon active imagery.  I honestly don't know how I would accomplish the same ends if I couldn't use such visualization.
Reality is but perception.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 08:34:09 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;28953
That was always the image that I was told to use, but I have always found it hard. I don't know why. My mind isn't visual, but linguistic, in its very nature. I think that's a lot of the problem: I think that you can't possibly ground/center if you're writing a scene of it in your head. :ashamed:

I tried grounding last night.

It didn't work out well. :ashamed:

I tried utilizing the technique that Starhawk mentioned in The Twelve Wild Swans. It didn't even begin very well: it's mentioned that one should focus on a pinpoint of light behind the eyelids. I couldn't even imagine that. I really feel like I'm just doing something wrong. :mad:
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Kayah

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 11:42:46 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;30293
I tried grounding last night.

It didn't work out well. :ashamed:

I tried utilizing the technique that Starhawk mentioned in The Twelve Wild Swans. It didn't even begin very well: it's mentioned that one should focus on a pinpoint of light behind the eyelids. I couldn't even imagine that. I really feel like I'm just doing something wrong. :mad:

I mean this in the most lighthearted and positive way: you are doing something wrong :P You are not using your innate ability to well "visualize" by linguistics.. or hearing.. Are you more comfortable with only words, or can it also be sounds? .. and I don't mean actual vocal sounds.. just, in your head..

Not everyone visualizes by seeing. My mom hears - she can't even imagine a box to save her life. I am, I think, primarily a feeler and I can now see colours and shapes etc, but it took a very long time and a lot of effort to do so.

So if you are having a hard time grounding/centering by seeing with your mind's eye.. find a way to hear it.. be it creating music, or narrating your own story. If it works for you, who cares what anyone else does. Not everyone is a visual person (although I think it is true most are, hence the lack of sound "visualizations", or feel/scent/taste ones.. .. can you imagine trying to ground/center by smell? :p )

On topic bit:

I center by just.. feeling my energy, what's me, and drawing it in into my core in my stomach. I feel like there is a ball of energy in there, and my whole body is gravitationally dependent on it, like a moon that has an orbit around a planet. For centering, my element is fire, but I use earth to get to it.. I draw deep, into the molten core of the earth. I feel myself connecting with it, my energy to it, and I balance my energy out, stabilize it, and empower myself.

For shielding, it is (usually a visual visualization, although if I am stressed and just can't see, I *feel* - f'ex, a protective sphere is the feeling of sitting in the sun on a cool day, and the warmth of the sun embracing you) a sphere of (insert color here) light. If I need an extra boost in a shield the light becomes fire of whatever color I need it to be, but often it is just simply the color of a blaze - yellow orange red, and fiercely hot to everything outside of me that can be hostile. It works incredibly well - I have had moments where my incredibly hot headed boss, in a fit of rage, would start in on me, stop, and would just start to avoid me - usually by physically leaving the room, or falling silent, but would stop bothering me.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 08:29:02 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;30293
I really feel like I'm just doing something wrong. :mad:

I don't think you're doing something wrong. I think it's more a case of using  techniques that are wrong for you.  Keep in mind that visualization is just a tool to focus your thoughts and energy on the task at hand.  It might be the wrong tool for you.

Something else that occurred to me was that you might do better with more passive methods of grounding and centering rather than active ones like visualization or chanting. For me, actively grounding and centering means that I am going to stop all other activity and focus all of my energy and attention on the process.  Everything else comes to a screeching halt because this is a play-date with my inner self and the universe.  Whatever method I'm using, my focus is all in one place.

Unfortunately, 99% of the time, I can't do this full-blown process for more than a few seconds without interruption of some sort. My solution is to rely more on passive forms of grounding and centering that do not require my full-blown attention. I find that anything that engenders a sense of calm in me also has a grounding and centering effect. For example, the smell of peppermint, the sound of rain, the energy of black tourmaline, and the rhythm of running are all things that I personally find very centering and grounding.  YMMV, but perhaps trying a less active approach might help.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Senola Kari

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 11:22:17 am »
When you find the need, how do you ground and center?  Are the certain motions you make? Images that you keep in mind?

I cannot use the tree image. It doesn't work very well for me.

I tried, and then it hit me: Whenever I go into the ocean I become my true self, all negativity is washed away, I become a part of it.

So I ground to water. My element has always been water. Earth is all over the place in my birth chart, but I have never been drawn to it as I have to bodies of water.

I feel, in my head, a little golden bowl. The bowl is filled with water. I tip the bowl. The water comes rushing out, through my veins and to my fingertips. I tip the bowl again. It goes to my legs and comes out the bottom of my feet.  I tip it again, as many times as I need to, until the energy is absorbed into the earth, and I am ready to work. Similar to the earth meditation, but it works a hundred times better for me. I sometimes do this with a crystal and imagine the water pushing the energy into the crystal.

I am always aware of my center for some reason, and it's easy to find it. It's where my third chakra is, around the solar plexus. I focus on it, imagining it growing bigger.

I do have a problem, though, in that I go through the steps in my head. I tell myself: "Feel this... Imagine that." It really interferes with meditation. I have to mentally quiet myself. I saw that another member had the same problem also (is more linguistically oriented.)
Please light a candle at my shrine to Ishtar and Tammuz. http://nshrine.com/shrine/IshtarAndTammuz

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 12:31:21 pm »
Quote from: Kayah;30417
I mean this in the most lighthearted and positive way: you are doing something wrong :P You are not using your innate ability to well "visualize" by linguistics.. or hearing.. Are you more comfortable with only words, or can it also be sounds? .. and I don't mean actual vocal sounds.. just, in your head..

Oh, it's really funny that you mention this. I wrote a really angry, rant-y blog entry about how I was just going to do things my own damn way and who cares what other people think? :D: Great minds, right?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 12:39:47 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;30443
I don't think you're doing something wrong. I think it's more a case of using  techniques that are wrong for you.  Keep in mind that visualization is just a tool to focus your thoughts and energy on the task at hand.  It might be the wrong tool for you.

Something else that occurred to me was that you might do better with more passive methods of grounding and centering rather than active ones like visualization or chanting. For me, actively grounding and centering means that I am going to stop all other activity and focus all of my energy and attention on the process.  Everything else comes to a screeching halt because this is a play-date with my inner self and the universe.  Whatever method I'm using, my focus is all in one place.

Unfortunately, 99% of the time, I can't do this full-blown process for more than a few seconds without interruption of some sort. My solution is to rely more on passive forms of grounding and centering that do not require my full-blown attention. I find that anything that engenders a sense of calm in me also has a grounding and centering effect. For example, the smell of peppermint, the sound of rain, the energy of black tourmaline, and the rhythm of running are all things that I personally find very centering and grounding.  YMMV, but perhaps trying a less active approach might help.

Thank you, Aisling.

I stumbled onto an article yesterday (just prior to my throwing a complete fit because I couldn't even ground properly--and oh, boy; was it a fit!) explaining the differences between active and passive forms of grounding. It kind of resonated, but since I was so angry at that moment, I ignored it. :hdsk: Thank you, though, for re-mentioning it since I would have probably forgotten without you saying something.

I think all the walking I've been doing is a kind of passive centering. It's also a time where I can let my mind wander wherever the hell it wants, whenever it wants, so it functions as a grounding, too. I'll try to look into other passive center/grounding techniques and see what works.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

Tags: