"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Brighid and Water  (Read 3849 times)

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Brighid and Water
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:06:27 am »
Hi,

I thought that since we are focussing on water for the prayer bead exchange then it would be interesting to discuss Brighid's association with water.

So, how do experience Brighid and water? How do you connect with that aspect of Her? Do you relate it most to a specific occupational aspect (Healing, Smithcraft, Poetry, Social Justice)? What symbols most represent this aspect to you? And of course anything else anyone wants to share?

Aster Breo

• View Profile
Re: Brighid and Water
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 01:56:44 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;28364

So, how do experience Brighid and water? How do you connect with that aspect of Her? Do you relate it most to a specific occupational aspect (Healing, Smithcraft, Poetry, Social Justice)? What symbols most represent this aspect to you? And of course anything else anyone wants to share?

To me, Brighid's waters are the wells, lakes, streams, and rivers -- but not the ocean, for some reason.  The ocean just doesn't *feel* like Her.  To me, I mean.

This might sound a little odd, but I see water in Her fire association, too.  When I look at the flame burning on the wick of my lamp, I see the blue at the heart of the flame and I think of Her nurturing and calming waters.  It's all one whole.

I don't associate water with any specific occupational aspect any more than I see fire in any specific association.  Both water and fire are important.  We need the inspiration of fire AND the nurturing of water.

I recently joined a new online Brighid group, and it has requirements for flame tending and for water tending.  For some members, water tending means getting out to local bodies of water and doing work to protect and improve them.  I don't have any local water that I can get to without someone to drive me, so I'm taking a different approach.  I have a small bowl to hold water on my Brighid shelf, near my lamp, and a silver ring with a wave design to help me stay mindful.  And I'll be making a donation to the Chesapeake Bay Fund (I'm in the Chesapeake watershed) on my first shift for this new group.

I'm looking forward to hearing about how others think about water w/r/t Brighid.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

SunflowerP

• Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 05:55:30 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;28392
This might sound a little odd, but I see water in Her fire association, too.  When I look at the flame burning on the wick of my lamp, I see the blue at the heart of the flame and I think of Her nurturing and calming waters.  It's all one whole.

I ran across an amazing picture the other day that I wanted to share with the Cill, and this thread (and in particular the above-quoted bit) is just the right place to do it.  It can be found here, but since that's a long post not relevant to things Brigidine, on a blog that centres mostly on talking about kink, I'll see if my geek-fu is sufficient to posting it (preview says, yes it is - yay!).

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:43:17 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;28420
I ran across an amazing picture the other day that I wanted to share with the Cill

Thanks for posting that pic, Sunflower!  I love it.

If I could only get that as a tattoo...

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 01:14:39 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;28392
To me, Brighid's waters are the wells, lakes, streams, and rivers -- but not the ocean, for some reason.  The ocean just doesn't *feel* like Her.  To me, I mean.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I feel the same way about the ocean.

Lakes, wells and springs are particularly... "Brighid"-feeling to me. Not so much flowing water, which is perhaps weird.
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 01:25:29 am »

It's an association that I haven't explored as much as I have explored fire. However, one of the strongest active imagination sessions I've ever had with Brighid resulted in me looking up at her as though underwater. She "caught" me, and pulled me up, like a fish, out of the water.

I don't really know how to begin, but I'd like to work and explore her through water as I have explored her through fire. One of the ways I'd like to try is to visit some local waterways (living in Seattle means I'm close to not only the ocean but to the mountain lakes that I tend to see as "Brighid's"). But the thing is, every time I've visited these waterways, it's not Brighid I'm hearing, but the waters themselves or the spirits thereof. It may be difficult for me to approach Brighid through these waterways without the help and permission of these waters.

The significant symbol for me is, weirdly, a wave, even though I've mentioned that I don't really feel Brighid within the ocean. However, I do feel her in a wave. (And, I guess I'm lying: I feel Brighid in deep water. Like... dark in the bottom of a well, or a lake, and, to a degree, the bottom of the ocean....)

And, like Aster, I don't really associate "occupations" with water, though, if I make a game out of it, I'd probably connect water most readily with her healing aspect, and with poetry (diving into the depths).
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 01:29:58 am »
Quote from: Finn;28474

And, like Aster, I don't really associate "occupations" with water, though, if I make a game out of it, I'd probably connect water most readily with her healing aspect, and with poetry (diving into the depths).

And, maybe, with smithcraft -- the quenching fire?

LunaPark

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 04:30:04 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;28475
And, maybe, with smithcraft -- the quenching fire?

I was just thinking the  same thing.  

I've just discovered Her and she's apparently been practically screaming in my face to pay attention.  Far to numerous to account here , but here's a couple examples...  I live and work and got married at a campground around where the Potomac River meets the Chesapeake Bay.  Campground = Campfire...  Fire and Water.  The second example is when my Husband (then fiance) and I threw a small festival as a open season kick off party.  The first night, an abandoned house on our neighboring property mysteriously caught on fire just after midnight, and  the second night it rained hard for about 2 hour.  Everyone who was brave enough to weather the storm had fun, nobody got hurt and the story about the huge fire made it to local webnews.  I think it's possible Brigit may have been there enjoying the festivities.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 04:40:42 pm »

I'm not participating in the brat-exchange, but I'd love to join the talk...

It's easier to me to connect to her fire aspect, but I remember someone said something about hot healings wells on the old board and I really liked that image.

I also like to see her in the healing broth of a hot herbal tea.

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 05:22:35 pm »
Quote from: LunaPark;39616

Hi, LunaPark.

Off-topic, but I just wanted to say hi to a "neighbor".  I'm in Maryland, too, in the DC burbs.

~ Aster
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:24:34 am by SunflowerP »

Leanan Sidhe

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 08:23:03 pm »
Hi,

I thought that since we are focussing on water for the prayer bead exchange then it would be interesting to discuss Brighid's association with water.

I'm not member of the Cill yet, but: I mostly associate Brighid with fire. I do think of her in the sense of traditional healing wells. As others have posted, I don't really think of her in terms of the ocean... and I live right next to it. I almost wish I did, because the ocean and bays are the only sources of  natural water I can typically get to easily. But there is a cedar lake I can get to sometimes that I can feel her presence at very easily (it always made sense to me as cedar is healing and purifying). And there is a tiny creek near where I grew up... I used to love sitting by it and meditating and praying to her when I was a kid.

I also think of her when preparing herbal remedies, many of which have a liquid base -- which combines the concept of healing waters and her general healing aspect.

I also associate her with water in terms of creativity -- but I tend to associate her creativity aspect more with fire.
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 07:57:29 pm »
Quote from: Leanan Sidhe;39823
I'm not member of the Cill yet, but: I mostly associate Brighid with fire. I do think of her in the sense of traditional healing wells. As others have posted, I don't really think of her in terms of the ocean... and I live right next to it. I almost wish I did, because the ocean and bays are the only sources of  natural water I can typically get to easily. But there is a cedar lake I can get to sometimes that I can feel her presence at very easily (it always made sense to me as cedar is healing and purifying). And there is a tiny creek near where I grew up... I used to love sitting by it and meditating and praying to her when I was a kid.

I also think of her when preparing herbal remedies, many of which have a liquid base -- which combines the concept of healing waters and her general healing aspect.

I also associate her with water in terms of creativity -- but I tend to associate her creativity aspect more with fire.

I'm really very new to Brighid, and like most of what I've read here, so far I'm more drawn to her flame than to her water associations. But in my surrounding county there are several small creeks and every time I pass one I think of Her and I am reminded of Her sacred wells.

I don't really associate Her with oceans, or even lakes so much. I think of Her when I think of smaller bodies of running water: creeks, streams, small rivers. Someone else mentioned this, but I also think of Her when I'm making herbal tea.

Tags: