Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Herbs and Spices for Prosperity and Luck  (Read 17333 times)

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Herbs and Spices for Prosperity and Luck
« on: October 23, 2011, 11:57:42 pm »
I'm still working on my little prosperity/luck bottle. When I was doing a little research, I found that cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice all are associated with prosperity, success, and attracting luck -- and have the added bonus of smelling like a delicious apple pie (which, to me, is the essence of the kind of prosperity I want :p).

But before I commit to this particular blend, I was wondering if any one here has had success with other herbs and spices in a prosperity spell? If so, what kinds, and were any kind of blends you particularly liked?

(Obviously, there are a lot of other factors for success in a spell, including the particular focus, execution and preference of the worker.) I'd just like some other thoughts. :)
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
Re: Herbs and Spices for Prosperity and Luck
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 06:50:08 am »
Quote from: Finn;27155

But before I commit to this particular blend, I was wondering if any one here has had success with other herbs and spices in a prosperity spell? If so, what kinds, and were any kind of blends you particularly liked?

This is one of those places where you can see the little footsteps of history all over the correspondences. Those spices, of course, are all things that do not grow in western Europe (or at least, not easily), so they had to be imported.

At the same time, they're relatively lightweight, easy to store, and don't take up tons of space, so they were, for a long time in history, relatively affordable luxuries. Hence: awesome prosperity associations.

If you follow that line of thinking, you can expand into other correspondences: salt also falls into that category (and thus makes a good addition to the list), but honey (due to the effort needed to harvest) can be a good one. So can things that are local to your area and relatively abundant, but harder to get elsewhere. (I'm thinking here of things like wild rice in Minnesota, or fresh blueberries outside of Maine...)

Mostly, though, I lean towards the spices, because you're right: they smell totally awesome.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 11:30:44 am »
I'm still working on my little prosperity/luck bottle. When I was doing a little research, I found that cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice all are associated with prosperity, success, and attracting luck -- and have the added bonus of smelling like a delicious apple pie (which, to me, is the essence of the kind of prosperity I want :p).

I like nutmeg and allspice for prosperity and luck, too. I also use anise seeds.

In my family, it's something that we only used for special occasions. For example, we make pizzelle cookies flavored with anise for weddings because they're considered lucky. Also, there was an anisette liqueur we used to have for holidays and celebrations. It was kind of pricey, so it was reserved for special occasions, New Years Eve especially. When I was growing up, even the kids got a little bit to toast with at midnight.

So, anise has strong prosperity and luck associations for me, but I don't know how common that is.

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 12:37:04 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;27179

If you follow that line of thinking, you can expand into other correspondences: salt also falls into that category ... So can things that are local to your area and relatively abundant, but harder to get elsewhere. (I'm thinking here of things like wild rice in Minnesota, or fresh blueberries outside of Maine...)

Mostly, though, I lean towards the spices, because you're right: they smell totally awesome.

I was going to add some salt in there and even a bit of grain (extending the apple pie symbolism even further), but I hadn't even thought about what's local and abundant here. Hm. Here in Washington that may, in fact, be... apples. :D: :D:

Maybe I can add some dried apple bits to my bottle. Apple Pie Prosperity Bottle?

MarieBay

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 09:48:00 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;27179
So can things that are local to your area and relatively abundant, but harder to get elsewhere. (I'm thinking here of things like wild rice in Minnesota, or fresh blueberries outside of Maine...)

Huh. I hadn't given much thought to restricting my spells to include more locally-available herbs and spices. Growing things in a teeny window box garden is one thing, but it would be interesting to try using strictly endemic species for a month, a season, or even a year. It would be a neat challenge, however difficult.

I do like that the bulk barn is so close to my house... so many exotic herbs and spices... As for luck, I usually carry whole nutmegs. They're solid, won't crush in my pocket, and, as stated by everyone, they smell amazing. I'm not sure what to use for prosperity. Mint is another one of my go-to herbs, so I'd probably try to include it somehow, seeing as the plant tends to prosper and proliferate wherever it's introduced.

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 04:38:57 am »

(Obviously, there are a lot of other factors for success in a spell, including the particular focus, execution and preference of the worker.) I'd just like some other thoughts. :)

I've had great experiences with using Basil as a money drawing herb, though that might affect your apple pie smell.

A Tonka Bean: no smell and used to attract money and often used to attract good luck.

Good Luck
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

Stardancer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 05:02:23 am »
Quote from: Finn;27233
I was going to add some salt in there and even a bit of grain (extending the apple pie symbolism even further), but I hadn't even thought about what's local and abundant here. Hm. Here in Washington that may, in fact, be... apples. :D: :D:

Maybe I can add some dried apple bits to my bottle. Apple Pie Prosperity Bottle?

Since a single grain when sown produces dozens and dozens of new ones, that too could be a prosperity symbol. Well, any seed of a plant that's prolific with their babies really. Sunflower maybe?
My (mainly) astrological blog
http://sidselh.livejournal.com/ Last update 25. oct \'11

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 12:39:56 pm »

Patchouli brings in financial success. Ash and oak are good for prosperity. Here are some extra herbs for luck: strawberry, violet, holly, rose, job's tears, Irish moss, and orange. I've used these various herbs in various spells over the years.

Adding patchouli gives you the added benefit of smelling like a sexy hippy, by the by.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 12:44:18 pm »
Quote from: Finn;27233

...Now I want to bake a prosperity-spell apple pie. Yumm.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 01:29:05 pm »
Quote from: Juni;27432

Hm. That does sound intriguing.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 06:43:49 pm »
Quote from: Juni;27432

Tee-hee - me too, kinda.  More exactly, I've been thinking about how well this could be incorporated into new-home blessing - I think it was what Finn said about apple pie smelling like the kind of prosperity she wanted to attract - that conveyed to me a really definite idea of what kind of prosperity, and also started me thinking that there are other homely blessings that apple pie smells like.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 08:29:17 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;27499
Tee-hee - me too, kinda.  More exactly, I've been thinking about how well this could be incorporated into new-home blessing - I think it was what Finn said about apple pie smelling like the kind of prosperity she wanted to attract - that conveyed to me a really definite idea of what kind of prosperity, and also started me thinking that there are other homely blessings that apple pie smells like.

*nod*

This isn't about bringing, like, tons of money to me, so much as "bring to me the ability to pay for my bills, pay for my debts, pay to nourish myself, and ... add a little sweetness to my life." It's about building the prosperous life that includes being able to make an apple pie once in a while. :)

2greyhounds

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Herbs and Spices for Prosperity and Luck
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 09:37:05 pm »
i like that. My prosperity wish would be to be able to pay my bills when they come rather than after payday, to have some emergency savings for when something comes up and to be able to buy supplies- food gas or magical- without worry that i might overdraw, but I like the way you said it best.

---
I am here:

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 01:21:10 am »
Quote from: Finn;27514
*nod*

This isn't about bringing, like, tons of money to me, so much as "bring to me the ability to pay for my bills, pay for my debts, pay to nourish myself, and ... add a little sweetness to my life." It's about building the prosperous life that includes being able to make an apple pie once in a while. :)

I really like this.

Currently I'm building a prosperity spell around the use of pine-scented green candles. I've worked out a small chant: Scent of pine, make health and wealth mine.

Reasons for the choice of smell and words:

-pine candles happened to be what I picked up for very cheap at a huge sale at Liquidation World.
-health is necessary for wealth, in my view. I can't work if I'm not healthy.
-pine has always meant health and prosperity to me -- I grew up here in BC, which is full of pine trees, and every Christmas when I was a kid we'd have a pine tree to decorate. That time -- and the scent of pine specifically -- reminds me of a time when I was healthy and happy, and my parents and I didn't want for anything.

The spell's not complete yet; it needs some tweaks. But I'm almost done.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack your thread here. :) Just wanted to add that the idea of something that may be in abundance locally but a rarity elsewhere as something to use in a spell is a nice one, and this would be my own interpretation of that. :)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 11:58:49 am »
Quote from: Morag;27778
Anyway, didn't mean to hijack your thread here. :) Just wanted to add that the idea of something that may be in abundance locally but a rarity elsewhere as something to use in a spell is a nice one, and this would be my own interpretation of that. :)

Oh goodness, it ain't my thread. This is what I was hoping to get, really. I want to see how others approached their own spellwork, their motivations, their results and experiences. :)

Tags: