Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: TWS: Chapter One - Leaving the Castle  (Read 6996 times)

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
TWS: Chapter One - Leaving the Castle
« on: October 21, 2011, 06:48:37 pm »
This thread is the place to post discussion and experiences relevant to the first chapter of The Twelve Wild Swans. Following are some topics to get us started. Feel free to reply to these questions or post your own.

1. Why did you feel called to participate in this project?

2. What path will you be working on, and why?

3. What kind of preparation are you doing prior to beginning this work?

4. The main focus of the first chapter is that we all inherit problems that we did not cause yet must live with. Which of these inherited problems do you feel most affected by?

5. The book states, "to gain insight we must step outside our usual realm of experience". What does that mean to you? Where or how might you gain new insight?

6. What challenges/inherited problems do you feel belong to you? Which ones are you called to fix?

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
Re: TWS: Chapter One - Leaving the Castle
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 07:10:22 pm »
I'll start.

Quote from: FierFlye;26838

Oh, I don't know...I didn't have enough to do already? :whis:

The Elements Path. I've had an interest in magic and religious witchcraft stuff for many years, and it's been pestering me lately. Also, I don't feel I have the tools/experience yet to begin the Inner Path.

Cleaning and setting aside altar space, digging out my neo-wicca and magic books, trying to forge a connection with air.

4. The main focus of the first chapter is that we all inherit problems that we did not cause yet must live with. Which of these inherited problems do you feel most affected by?

Argh, there are many injustices in the world. The things that bother me the most are environmental exploitation and destruction and animal abuse and mis-management.

5. The book states, "to gain insight we must step outside our usual realm of experience". What does that mean to you? Where or how might you gain new insight?

I'm hoping through meditation, ritual, or dreams.

6. What challenges/inherited problems do you feel belong to you? Which ones are you called to fix?
Overpopulation and abandonment of companion animals.

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 04:54:12 am »
This thread is the place to post discussion and experiences relevant to the first chapter of The Twelve Wild Swans. Following are some topics to get us started. Feel free to reply to these questions or post your own.

No, no - these are good questions. I'll take 'em. ;)

Erm, well.... I have the book collecting dust on my shelf for years. Maybe it's now the time to do something with it?

The Outer Path. Done the witchy stuff for half of my life, dug through my omphaloskepsis the last years and it is just time to do something else.
Tho' being a solitary and happy with it, I've made the deduction that a witch, how I understand her work, needs to do this work for others, too.

Ahm, err, ahm ... none really? I am happy when I manage the reading?

Funny enough, things fall into place from all different parts again.
Ancestors and working with them. And redeeming some of the issues, that are carried on through the bloodline. (That's something from another book I'm reading, but it fits the thing.)

It's true. Once in a while you have to take a step beyond the comfort zone. If you do, what you've always done, you'll just experience what you've always experience. Trying to go out, to do the outer work, is extremely challenging for me. I tend more to be introvert, solitair and keeping a rather low profile in the so-called RL.

Again, to go out, to stand tall. I was more raised with the: Oh we little powerless people can do nothing. I don't think this is true. Neither is it true, that one person isn't able to change something. Now I just need to understand that I can be a person that is able to make a difference.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 09:29:10 am »
Quote from: Tana;26903

The Outer Path.

Eventually there will be a separate thread for both the Inner and Outer Paths. I only threw up the Elements Path so far because that is the one I am doing so I had some discussion topics for it. You are welcome to start a thread for the Outer Path. We'd suggest you title it something like 'TWS: Outer Path' so we can keep the TWS threads organized. :)

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 02:06:16 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;26918
Eventually there will be a separate thread for both the Inner and Outer Paths. I only threw up the Elements Path so far because that is the one I am doing so I had some discussion topics for it. You are welcome to start a thread for the Outer Path. We'd suggest you title it something like 'TWS: Outer Path' so we can keep the TWS threads organized. :)

*pouts* But your questions were so good... :p
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 09:41:29 pm »

After lots of transition (new job, new state, new home, new. .. lots of stuff) and letting lots of things simmer in my back brain for a bit, I think it would be useful to look at my personal practice in some depth and detail for a bit. This seems a good way to do it.

Good question. I am largely not up for major transitional change again, if I can manage it, for at least another six months or so, so I'm leaning towards doing the Elements path (which has tons of content that I know, and have methods for, but which it is always good to revisit.) I may do a certain amount of picking and choosing.

(There are places I'm likely to substitute my trad's practices for specific suggestions, too.)

Letting things simmer, mostly: I've done some simple ritual work since the move, and I've been poking at things quietly in the back of my head. AS one does.

The thing my life wraps around is how information and knowledge and wisdom entangle with our choices (and our ability to make good choices.) We - as individuals, as groups, as communities - inherit so many assumptions and ideas and outlooks that it can be hard to step back and look at things in a new way. Some of these are useful, but a lot of them are problems, or at least complications.

Reading. Writing. Ritual. Meditation. Putting myself in new situations (which, as above, see Lots Of New In My Life.)

The thing I come back to is helping people find information and resources that make their life better (by which I usually mean "help them make informed choices in some way, or have more resources to use when deciding things"). My job feeds into this, but also lots of my other interests.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Sperran

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 12:08:36 am »

I feel like I need something to help me get organized and on track.  I've been wandering a lot lately and I thought this might help me pull myself together.

Initially I was planning on working on the inner path, but rereading Chapter 1 I think I might focus on the elements path.  I think that part of this project will be finding ways to create my own rituals and useful imagery within the framework of Judaism.  Perhaps because Starhawk was raised Jewish and became Pagan, while I studied Paganism before converting to Judaism, her use of symolism is very useful to me and I can see interesting ways to work with the Holy One using the elements as a framework.

Reading TWS again. I think I will probably be doing some work with the Torah as well.

I'm going to go with things that are literally inherited.  I believe that I've inherited my tendencies towards anxiety and depression.  Just like someone that has inherited tendencies towards diabetes or high blood pressure, I have to monitor my environment and my symptoms more carefully than a lot of folks to make sure these things don't get out of control.

One of the things that struck me for the first time was how the 12 Swans story maps on to White/Heterosexual/CIS etc. privilege.  Like Rose, I did not create these injustices and once they have been revealed to me, I certainly do not want them to remain.  But I must also acknowledge that I have benefited from these injustices and I must also acknowledge that (like Rose) despite the fact that I didn't cause these problems I must act to fix them.

Sperran

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 10:33:18 am »

I'm currently working on breaking down my self-made obstacles, and I think the project will help with that.

Initially, I thought I'd be doing the Inner Path but after having a pretty significant dream I switched focus to the Elements Path.

I'm trying to ensure that I know on which obstacles to focus first by reviewing each in turn.

Depression and anxiety, definitely.  I've also been fighting with my brain for years trying to figure out if my actions/reactions are genuine or imposed.

To me it means moving away from comfortable patterns of behavior and thought, stretching what I do in such a way that it becomes apparent who I am and if that is whom I want to remain.

I'm called to fix my thought patterns, to really begin to think and act as myself as default rather than having to consciously make the decision to do so.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 07:12:01 am »
I've worked through the elements and inner path with another very small online group for approx. 2 years, but the group got inactive. I'm hoping to get new inspirations from different people looking with different perspectives at it.

I think Inner Path mostly. My main interest is to catch up on some stuff I've missed on the first go. I don't feel ready for the Outer Path yet (I got stuck in the first chapter because of problems with my ancestors), but might try out a few exercises from it. I might also review some stuff from the elements path. I'm not really planning this through, I'll see what impulses I get while working with this group. :)

I also have an interest of learning how to work to another story in a similar fashion, but I might need a lot of work to get there.

Rereading the book chapter by chapter and also rereading the discussions in my former group and what I've noted in my blogs and notebooks about the TWS.

I want to reread the introduction and the first chapter before I answer the other questions.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:13:16 am by Waldhexe »

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 07:20:09 am »
Quote from: Tana;26903
Ancestors and working with them. And redeeming some of the issues, that are carried on through the bloodline. (That's something from another book I'm reading, but it fits the thing.)

I'm also very interested in this, would you mind naming the other book?

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 08:13:41 am »
Quote from: Waldhexe;28494
I'm also very interested in this, would you mind naming the other book?

Orion Foxwood's The Faery Techings. And I have The Tree of Enchantment here too, latter waiting for me to finally finish the former. :p

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 08:59:51 am »
Quote from: Tana;28500
Orion Foxwood's The Faery Techings. And I have The Tree of Enchantment here too, latter waiting for me to finally finish the former. :p

Thanks, I might consider reading them at some time, faeries or not. ;)

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 11:17:30 am »
This thread is the place to post discussion and experiences relevant to the first chapter of The Twelve Wild Swans.

This is the work I am going to do for the first chapter:
1. Build an air altar/shrine
2. Attempt to meditate on or observe the air 3 times.
3. Practice the grounding exercise daily.

This is for one week, possibly to be extended.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 09:48:23 am »

For the last few weeks, I've felt this irritating buzzing about magic and magical traditions in the back of my head. I started off on this crazy little path with a heavy magic focus, but I pulled back as uncertainty, irritation, and emotional issues got in the way. It's time to get back to what I had started, only this time, I'd like to learn it more properly as opposed to hodge-podge.

Quote from: FierFlye

I'm working on the Elements path. This is due to what I mentioned above: I learned improperly (I feel) and want to start off in a better fashion. I prefer book-learning to hand's on because I understand books a lot better than I understand other peoples' perspectives.

I read the introduction. XD In reality, nothing. I decided to jump into the deep end in the hopes that I remembered how to swim. So far, I'm not drowning.

I feel most affected by the loss of folk lore and natural knowledge.

It means that I have to stop being so focused on the here and now and on me, me, me. In all honesty, I'm not sure where or how. I think just being more observant would be a good place to start.

When I try to ponder this question, I get images of the forest behind my Hubby's parents' house. (It's a great little piece of land.) I don't know specifically what I'm supposed to do with nature but... that's the start, I guess.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 09:52:00 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;30316
This is the work I am going to do for the first chapter:
1. Build an air altar/shrine
2. Attempt to meditate on or observe the air 3 times.
3. Practice the grounding exercise daily.

This is for one week, possibly to be extended.

Those are great ideas.

To build on...

1. I am going to try centering and grounding on a daily basis.
2. I am going to try breathing exercises on a daily basis. Specifically, I'm going to try the one that is mentioned in the section, thanking the element of air.
3. I want to get up and greet the sunrise, the noontime, the sunset, and the midnight as is mentioned prior to casting first circle.

I think the grounding and breathing exercises will continue longer than a week, but I'd preferred to greet the various sun phases and moon phases before Thanksgiving of next week.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Tags: