Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Which Celtic Tradition?  (Read 13117 times)

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Which Celtic Tradition?
« on: October 19, 2011, 08:36:22 pm »
I fellow a strictly Welsh tradition, and a reconstructionist one at that. What traditions do you follow, or are you more eclectic.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Which Celtic Tradition?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 12:26:20 am »
Quote from: Celtag;26489
I fellow a strictly Welsh tradition, and a reconstructionist one at that. What traditions do you follow, or are you more eclectic.

I follow Brighid, rather than a specific culture.  The context is Irish, and I've done a lot of research, but I'm definitely NOT a recon.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Taliesin

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 02:51:50 am »

I follow Manannan, and that is where most of my focus lies, but I do so in an Irish context. I might be open to becoming more broad in my worship in the future, but for now I'm extremely happy with what I've got. :)

and ditto Aster, I'm in no way a recon either!
Cambiano solo le onde, sempre uguali e sempre diverse.
Feel free to leave a candle at the Manannán shrine.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 10:00:57 am »

I'm a Gaelic Traditionalist that adheres to the Irish traditions of this island, be they pre-Christian Irish, Gaelicised, and sometimes Christian with a págánach veneer, it's all good in the hood. Fócal!
Semper Fidelis

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 11:33:36 am »

I'm more eclectic than I would like to admit.  My worldview is primarily Irish, but I have interests in Scots and Manx.

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:45:11 pm »

I follow the Irish tradition, focussing on Morrigan.  She's come to me more recently (the past year), so I'm only just getting to know her.  Brighid seems to not be in the picture now...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:46:18 pm by PhantomQueen »

Vella Malachite

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 10:22:48 am »

Irish tradition, very reconstructionist.  I've got no problems with being eclectic, but I don't really think it's something I could do.
The human brain is an amazing thing: it works twenty-four hours a day, every day from before we are born - except when we take exams.
If everything\'s under control, you\'re going too slowly.

Tamina

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 11:03:27 am »

So far: I'm learning that I follow Celtic Reconstructionism with a focus in Scots traditions. I apply this to my daily life and add religious witchcraft to it, using dietys that originated in Scotland, Ireland, Wales. I'd like to say that's by choice, but when someone jumps at you, you grab on and hold tinght. LOL

Now, I'm still totally earning, that's where I'm at now. *grin*

celestialwolf

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://celestialmountains.com
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 01:08:02 pm »

I'm not sure what to call it to be honest. I honor the realms of Land, Sky and Sea. I see Triskelle as a representation of those. I see the spirals as my path and journey. I hold duty, the hearth and my kin of high importance. While I have an affinity for Brigit and Danu, I see the Gods as aspects of the same source but also separate. But I do not worship the Celtic Pantheon or honor their heroes. I tend to honor their source or "Great Spirit" as it were. So far, none of them have objected to it. ;)

Mine is not so much a tradition as Celt inspired I guess.

Lightdragon

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 01:01:49 am »
Quote from: darashand;26606
I'm more eclectic than I would like to admit.  My worldview is primarily Irish, but I have interests in Scots and Manx.

i would say this except I have interests in Welsh and British than Scots or Manx.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

SilverOak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 09:21:26 pm »

Mine is a little eclectic, with both Welsh and Gaulish (some of my ancestry), with some Irish thrown in as well.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 11:04:20 pm »

I am ecclectic, not recon, but the ancient Celtic (particularly Irish) traditions are most important to me.  Brighid is my patroness, but I have given honor at various times to Lugh, Oghma, Cernunnos, Morrigan, and Ceridwen at various times.

I view some of my ecclecticism as, in some cases, an extrapolation from ancient Celtic traditions, and in other places just filling in some blanks.

Nil agam ach beagáinín Gaeilge.  Tá mé ag foghlaim fós. (trans. I don't speak but a little Irish.  I am still learning)  I do want to get better at it, and would like to use it more frequently in a ritual context.
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 11:29:42 pm »
Quote from: Fagan_the_Pagan;34946
I am ecclectic, not recon, but the ancient Celtic (particularly Irish) traditions are most important to me.  Brighid is my patroness, but I have given honor at various times to Lugh, Oghma, Cernunnos, Morrigan, and Ceridwen at various times.

I view some of my ecclecticism as, in some cases, an extrapolation from ancient Celtic traditions, and in other places just filling in some blanks.

Nil agam ach beagáinín Gaeilge.  Tá mé ag foghlaim fós. (trans. I don't speak but a little Irish.  I am still learning)  I do want to get better at it, and would like to use it more frequently in a ritual context.
Thats cool that you are learning Irish, i'm in the process of learning Welsh, it's slow goings,but I'm starting to pick it up.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 08:32:54 am »

The Gwyddonic Order identifies as being Welsh based.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 08:37:45 pm »

I'm working on building my own path that blends Wicca, Druidry, and Irish Celtic practices. For simplicity's sake, I could call that "Celtic Wicca", but as that term often just refers to eclectic Wicca with shamrocks on it, I'm hesitant to use the term.

I've been Wiccan for 15+ years and have started studying ADF-style NeoPagan Druidry within the last 5, as well as exploring Irish Mythology (thank you, Celtic Myth Podshow!) and have started learning the Irish language (though that's been in a holding pattern for the last year or so, since the only teacher in the area retired).

Karen

Tags: