Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Author Topic: GOP presidential hopeful courts pagans  (Read 7206 times)

LyricFox

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: GOP presidential hopeful courts pagans
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 10:34:41 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;26445
That's not quite what he said.  Still moronic, but slightly less delusional (not by much, mind you).

Brina

ETA:  I can't wait to for someone in the next debate to ask whether he and the missus still knock boots.

No. It's not what he said. I read the quote earlier. But it's what comes across.
Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts\' Store: Doxy\'s Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Pyperlie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 02:53:44 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;26454
Well what do you expect from a guy whose name has been appropriated to describe the byproduct of anal sex?  Off topic, but I heard that the mixture of lube and fecal matter himself asked Goggle to remove the definition from its search index.  Apparently Google is unable to do anything about it:D:

*cackle*

So often current events infuriate and/or depress me, and then you go and say something like that... :D
Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being ... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.”
~~The Patrician, Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 12:55:47 pm »
Quote from: sailor;26392
Is Johnson going to be out on his views or general lack of name recognition?

Disclosure: I'm a total Johnson fanboy.  I couldn't not respond, even though it's late.

It's the name non-recognition that's hurting him.  He got some recognition after his first debate, based on a one-liner he was given (he asked people on twitter) which turned out to be taken from Rush Limbaugh.  Other than that, the media seems to ignore him.  Earlier in the fall/late summer, someone coined the term "Gary Johnson Rule" to refer to the national media's seeming convolutions to exclude him from coverage.

He's out with most of the vocal Republicans because of his views.  Fiscally conservative, on the social issues he's classically liberal.  Basically, the  Gov't should stay out of peoples personal lives.  Because of this, he supports choice issues:  a woman's right to choose, romantic choice (his marriage plan is, unique).  He's also for the legalization of pot, citing the similarities of enforcement and crime-effect between Drug and Alcohol Prohibition.

I'll stop.  Ask if you want to know more.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Pyperlie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 07:32:49 pm »
Quote from: drekfletch;30016
Disclosure: I'm a total Johnson fanboy.

I've only seen an interview w/him on either TDS or TCR, but I was suitably impressed to root for him.

He's out with most of the vocal Republicans because of his views.  Fiscally conservative, on the social issues he's classically liberal.  Basically, the  Gov't should stay out of peoples personal lives.  Because of this, he supports choice issues:  a woman's right to choose, romantic choice (his marriage plan is, unique).  He's also for the legalization of pot, citing the similarities of enforcement and crime-effect between Drug and Alcohol Prohibition.

I'll stop.  Ask if you want to know more.

I thought he was for the decriminalization of pot, not legalization.  Which is a damn sight better than we have now, of course, but it's an important distinction.

But what's his unique marriage plan?
Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being ... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.”
~~The Patrician, Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 08:02:32 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;26445
That's not quite what he said.  Still moronic, but slightly less delusional (not by much, mind you).

Brina

ETA:  I can't wait to for someone in the next debate to ask whether he and the missus still knock boots.

I can see where he's coming from, in a 'traditional values' kind of way.  
Still, as a conservative, he oughtta see that contraception (even publicly funded) is preferable to abortions or abandoned, unwanted babies.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 08:06:39 pm »
Quote from: drekfletch;30016
He's out with most of the vocal Republicans because of his views.  Fiscally conservative, on the social issues he's classically liberal.  Basically, the  Gov't should stay out of peoples personal lives.

Sounds like the ideal conservative candidate to me.  At least he espouses actual conservatism, unlike the supposedly far-right Republican't.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:09:06 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 12:06:56 am »
Quote from: Pyperlie;31139
I thought he was for the decriminalization of pot, not legalization.  Which is a damn sight better than we have now, of course, but it's an important distinction.

But what's his unique marriage plan?

He's for legalization, under the 'regulate like alcohol' category.  His general stance on drugs is that the people would be better served if we treated it as primarily a Health issue instead of a Criminal issue.  He's focusing on pot though.  He's not stated his reasons for the focus, but here is my reading of the implications of what he has said:  'Hard' drugs are much worse for you and pose a risk to others greater than those posed by alcohol and pot.  He does say that alcohol is worse than pot for you in all categories.  He smoked and drank when he was younger, but quit when they started affecting his athletics.

Regarding marriage: He recognizes gay rights. He also recognizes the near impossibility of making religious extremists understand that there is a difference between religious and civil marriage.  Given that near impossibility, he advocates removing marriage from the purview of the state entirely.

All couples, regardless of where they fall in the alphabet soup of sexuality and gender identity, would contract for federal Civil Unions which would be recognized across state lines. It is left up to religions to recognize Marriage.  I interpret that to include secular celebrations of the cultural tradition of marriage as possible outside of the Gov't.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 02:49:11 am »
Quote from: drekfletch;31279
... he advocates removing marriage from the purview of the state entirely.

All couples, regardless of where they fall in the alphabet soup of sexuality and gender identity, would contract for federal Civil Unions which would be recognized across state lines. It is left up to religions to recognize Marriage.  I interpret that to include secular celebrations of the cultural tradition of marriage as possible outside of the Gov't.

Yes.  I'm starting to like this candidate.

A few years back I was best man in my best friend's wedding.  His was an upapologetic Christian ceremony.  In his belief system, holy matrimony was pretty much an article (and requirement) of faith, however he had to pay a tax buy a 'marriage license' from the state.  

In essence he had to pay the state for permission to practice his religion.  If that doesn't violate the 'free exercise' clause of the 1st Amendment, it comes pretty damn close.  Similarly, a religious ceremony is given secular, legal weight.  It may not violate the 'establishment' clause, but it is a step in the wrong direction.  

I agree wholeheartedly with getting the Govt out of the marriage business.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 04:03:06 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;31287

Yeah, I'd agree.  I'm liking him too.  I also rather like Ron Paul, though, but the media pretty much ignores him.

Honestly though, I think the real problems are in Congress.  I think the whole body of Congress is institutionally corrupt beyond saving at this point.  Our current two-party system is a huge part of the problem, but there is also the fact that career politicians as a group are pretty much self-serving, rather than public-serving.
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 05:41:42 am »
Quote from: Fagan_the_Pagan;31296
Yeah, I'd agree.  I'm liking him too.  I also rather like Ron Paul, though, but the media pretty much ignores him.

Honestly though, I think the real problems are in Congress.  I think the whole body of Congress is institutionally corrupt beyond saving at this point.  Our current two-party system is a huge part of the problem, but there is also the fact that career politicians as a group are pretty much self-serving, rather than public-serving.

Heh.  Conservative Libertarian here, and I love Ron Paul's ideas.  Problem is: he's a damned loon (albeit a loveable one, like a Yoda gone batshit) and he's not electable.  He's too 'fringe.'  These days it's all about the 'middle' which both sides are trying to woo and win.  
Looking at the other nominees, however, and all I can say is: fuck the GOP.

I'm with ya on the corruption of both Congresscritters and the two-party system.  The Democans and Republicrats are equally to blame for the corruption inherent.  Best solution, imho: gas them all and let G-d sort 'em out.  Beyond that, the best we can do is elect no-names to the ballot, and good luck getting the American sheeple to do that rather than vote for BS-as-usual.  
Some voted for change in 2008, others voted for change in 2010, and I bet all are equally pissed and disappointed here in the fall of 2011.  At this point I think the best we can do is vote out ALL incumbents, for at least the next two election cycles.  The best message to send to the morons on the Hill is that their seats are transitory, subject to critical review and summary dismissal.  No results = you're fired.  Just like in the private sector.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 06:52:51 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;31298

Actually, I believe the studies have shown that career politicians are LESS corrupt than the ones that are just passing through - the ones passing through are FAR more likely to not know what they're doing and be manipulated by lobbies.  They're also paying attention to where they're going to end up NEXT, because they know they're not staying put no matter what, so they're looking for a future position.

There's a lot wrong with our system, but that doesn't make everyone that's in office corrupt.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 08:11:54 am »

A few years back I was best man in my best friend's wedding.  His was an upapologetic Christian ceremony.  In his belief system, holy matrimony was pretty much an article (and requirement) of faith, however he had to pay a tax buy a 'marriage license' from the state.  

In essence he had to pay the state for permission to practice his religion.  If that doesn't violate the 'free exercise' clause of the 1st Amendment, it comes pretty damn close.  Similarly, a religious ceremony is given secular, legal weight.  It may not violate the 'establishment' clause, but it is a step in the wrong direction.  

You can have a religoius marriage and not have any benefits of state sanctioned union and vice versa.  Polygamists do it all the time.  He's not paying a tax to practice his religion, he's paying a tax to have the state recognise this person as his partner for insurance reasons, tax reasons, bank reasons, hospital visitation reasons, etc without having to involve a whole lot of lawyers.  The state has simply saw fit to allow religious people the privilige of having their clergyman stand in for the courthouse clerk who would otherwise have to do a second ceremony to handle the civil part of it. Nothing violates the free exercise clause of the first amendment.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 08:14:43 am by mandrina »
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 02:18:51 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;31300
There's a lot wrong with our system, but that doesn't make everyone that's in office corrupt.

Which is why I said "as a group."  There is a trend towards it, and the ones that are corrupt keep anything from functioning, so the honest ones become irrelevant.  I did not mean that ABSOLUTELY ALL congressmen are corrupt.
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2011, 03:04:06 pm »
Quote from: drekfletch;31279
Regarding marriage: He recognizes gay rights. He also recognizes the near impossibility of making religious extremists understand that there is a difference between religious and civil marriage.  Given that near impossibility, he advocates removing marriage from the purview of the state entirely.

Thereby advocating state support of those religions that think that marriage is religious.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 03:05:02 pm »

And I am absolutely opposed to getting the government out of legal contracts. ;)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: