Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:45:55 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Author Topic: Druidry and Fitness / Health  (Read 3832 times)

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Druidry and Fitness / Health
« on: July 05, 2011, 02:35:32 am »
The post on working out in the health section got some gears turning in my head.

Do you see your Druidry or faith impacting your fitness or health at all?

Chakabe

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Druidry and Fitness / Health
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:28:43 am »
Quote from: Asch;1208

I do but for the better. You see I am reading through the book "Principles of Druidry" by Emma Restall Orr in which to begin the path truly begin the path that is. we much first make a "sacrifice" or give up something that defines us. This thing has to embody what we are. So my choice of "sacrifice" Is my weight as proof to myself of my dedication to the path. Because of my weight being how many people judge me I figured what better idea dictates who I am then that. So yes, druidry is effecting my health. And for the better.
InnerWalden <-- New site  
"In the parlor there were three. He, the parlor lamp, and she. Two is a party but three is a crowd so the parlor lamp went out."

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:34:07 pm »
The post on working out in the health section got some gears turning in my head.

Not as much as I should. Druidry to me is about keeping up proper relationships with the gods, spirits, and nature, but also the relationship to my own body. I know I can adopt more healthy habits and a better attitude towards myself/body and try to view it in that light.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:43:40 pm »
Quote from: Sage;1382
Not as much as I should. Druidry to me is about keeping up proper relationships with the gods, spirits, and nature, but also the relationship to my own body. I know I can adopt more healthy habits and a better attitude towards myself/body and try to view it in that light.

I feel the same.  I think this is just me, but I get squirmy every time I'm asked questions like this.  I have so many Christian friends who relate EVERYTHING they do as part of the duties of a proper Christian.  It makes me wonder, does anyone do it just because it's the right thing to do or does it have to always be related to religion? I'm not slamming anyone who does it for religious reasons, it's just something that is always there in the back of my head.

Chakabe

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 01:55:52 pm »
Quote from: Dragonfly68;1399
it's just something that is always there in the back of my head.

I actually wonder just how much of life happens because of religion (Christianity) Like I'm sure our social evolution would have happened all the same but do you think the Industrial revolution and so on would have happened if people were still commonly worshiping the earth and all of its splendor?
InnerWalden <-- New site  
"In the parlor there were three. He, the parlor lamp, and she. Two is a party but three is a crowd so the parlor lamp went out."

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 02:02:23 pm »
Quote from: Chakabe;1404
I actually wonder just how much of life happens because of religion (Christianity) Like I'm sure our social evolution would have happened all the same but do you think the Industrial revolution and so on would have happened if people were still commonly worshiping the earth and all of its splendor?

Yeah, I think it would have still happened.  Ancient cultures, while they honored nature spirits, were all about farming.  Have to clear the trees away to farm, need to build better tools to clear the trees and to farm or take care of stock.  So yeah, I think it would have still happened. Maybe in a different form, but it would have.  Humans are human. We were made to explore, discover and create.  Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:03:01 pm by Dragonfly68 »

Chakabe

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 02:12:08 pm »
Quote from: Dragonfly68;1408
Yeah, I think it would have still happened.  Ancient cultures, while they honored nature spirits, were all about farming.  Have to clear the trees away to farm, need to build better tools to clear the trees and to farm or take care of stock.  So yeah, I think it would have still happened. Maybe in a different form, but it would have.  Humans are human. We were made to explore, discover and create.  Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad.

You make a very good point....At the moment I have no real counter argument...
InnerWalden <-- New site  

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 05:09:28 pm »
Quote from: Dragonfly68;1408

Well not just that but in some of the early Irish tales the clearing and settling of land was done by the gods and seen as a sacred act. None of the early peoples were environmentalists by any means, they revered nature but largely for what it could provide and its power over them.

It's just that now, in modern times, if we want to have anything sacred or wild left we *have* to protect it and as part of our (western) worldview that incorporates environmentalism and stewardship.

As to health/fitness...I'm not sure, I think it *should* but I haven't quite figured out the practicalities if that makes sense.

Chakabe

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 06:49:37 pm »
Quote from: Asch;1559
As to health/fitness...I'm not sure, I think it *should* but I haven't quite figured out the practicalities if that makes sense.

Well the way I see druidry is more or less like how Chistopher McCandless was (Into the Wild) Other then the death. Kinda need to be in good health to do that kinda of stuff. But I also know that is not just his way or the highway but I take a good bit of inspiration from him. Again I can not stress enough about the "Other then the Death" part." <-- Last part is a joke...well other then the death. (Ahah that must be getting old now.)
InnerWalden <-- New site  

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 07:12:05 pm »
It makes me wonder, does anyone do it just because it's the right thing to do or does it have to always be related to religion? I'm not slamming anyone who does it for religious reasons, it's just something that is always there in the back of my head.

For me, the right thing to do automatically feeds into my religious life, which ends up echoing it back out. A positive feedback loop, if you will. To me, everything is literally connected together - my actions don't occur in a vacuum. Every action I take sends ripples out into the pond. That's not religion to me, it's common sense.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Arynn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 08:44:29 pm »

I think, as an environmentally-conscious person (which comes from how I grew up, but also from walking a Druid path), I'm naturally careful about what I eat and where it comes from. Though it's sometimes hard, with the limited funds that I have right now (being a recent college graduate!), I always try to buy organic foods - natural stuff, untreated, and if I ever eat meat, I always try to eat stuff that comes from a place that treats the animals fairly and kills them in as humane a way as possible (I find kosher meat to be the best for this, and as someone who grew up in a Jewish family, there was always an abundance of kosher meat!).

Being a Druid, for me, means respecting the Earth and taking care of the Earth, and I think that taking that into consideration when buying the things that we use everyday (food, water, clothing, etc) is important. I've always grown up in a household that buys more natural things - my mother, though not a Pagan, has always had a very Earthy way of thinking, always interested in recycling all that she can, believing that what comes straight from the Earth must be the best for our bodies (it just makes sense to her). My mother always relied on home remedies too, always giving them a try before turning to more serious "man-made" medications. I feel like this has rubbed off on me, and as a Druid, it makes a lot of sense to me to "turn to the Earth" - or what's natural - first.

As for fitness and taking care of my body...well, I do it for multiple reasons, many of which have to do with personal image, what my significant other likes (^_~), what's healthy and normal for my age and weight, a love of playing/watching sports, etc. ...but I do believe that respecting our bodies and staying healthy is a way of respecting our ancestors, for one, since they physically brought us into this world, and it's a respect for the Gods, Who watch over us and provide us with life's many wonders...one of those wonders being the ability to enjoy what our bodies can do: run, jump, swim, bring us pleasure (in many different ways), etc. So, while I think eating and buying food (and other daily products) definitely relates more to my spiritual side as a Druid, taking care of my body does too, to a certain extent.

SouthernSpiral

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »
I feel the same.  I think this is just me, but I get squirmy every time I'm asked questions like this.  I have so many Christian friends who relate EVERYTHING they do as part of the duties of a proper Christian.  It makes me wonder, does anyone do it just because it's the right thing to do or does it have to always be related to religion? I'm not slamming anyone who does it for religious reasons, it's just something that is always there in the back of my head.

I also get a bit squirmy with relating everything back to religion. Unfortunately it's very common in my area.

I'm trying to be healthier for a few non-religious reasons: I'd like to lose my "happy-weight", the inevitable weight gain that comes with marriage; I've got some really nice dress pants two sizes down that I'd like to wear again because they have wide legs and that's hard to find nowadays with the skinny-pants fashion; and my 10-year high school reunion is coming up in a few months ;)

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 02:25:38 pm »

Yes, in the way that seeking and inquiring into the virtue of Moderation (ADF DP Requirement) leads me to control my appetite urges and my forging commitment to sustainability and to the environment make me think about how I need to focus on what I eat (and how healthy and sustainable it really is).

It's not as big of an issue as it should be, but in my situation (being one who has issues with her health and fitness), I usually leave the two separate, since the energies needed come from two different sources.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 08:06:07 pm »
Quote from: darashand;20821
Yes, in the way that seeking and inquiring into the virtue of Moderation (ADF DP Requirement) leads me to control my appetite urges and my forging commitment to sustainability and to the environment make me think about how I need to focus on what I eat (and how healthy and sustainable it really is).

It's not as big of an issue as it should be, but in my situation (being one who has issues with her health and fitness), I usually leave the two separate, since the energies needed come from two different sources.

Yeah I've got thyroid problems and when my levels are out of wack (like now) eight hours at work is about as much as I can handle. I still try to hit the gym as regularly as I can and am very conscious of what I eat. I've managed to lose roughly 10 lbs just by being more aware of what I'm consuming (as well as where it comes from and how it gets to me, local farmer's market ftw! well, until mid October anyway).

Tags: