+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Asch has a spectacular aura about Asch has a spectacular aura about Asch's Avatar
    Last Online
    8 Jan 2017 @ 08:54 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    ADF & OBOD

Druidry and Fitness / Health

The post on working out in the health section got some gears turning in my head.

Do you see your Druidry or faith impacting your fitness or health at all?

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Chakabe is on a distinguished road Chakabe's Avatar
    Last Online
    25 Oct 2012 @ 11:24 AM
    Country
    USA
    In the vortext of pretty colors I call my mind
    Religion
    Studying Paganisim and Druidry

Re: Druidry and Fitness / Health

Quote Originally Posted by Asch View Post
    I do but for the better. You see I am reading through the book "Principles of Druidry" by Emma Restall Orr in which to begin the path truly begin the path that is. we much first make a "sacrifice" or give up something that defines us. This thing has to embody what we are. So my choice of "sacrifice" Is my weight as proof to myself of my dedication to the path. Because of my weight being how many people judge me I figured what better idea dictates who I am then that. So yes, druidry is effecting my health. And for the better.
    InnerWalden <-- New site
    "In the parlor there were three. He, the parlor lamp, and she. Two is a party but three is a crowd so the parlor lamp went out."

Adept Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassOverdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage's Avatar
    Last Online
    5 Jul 2015 @ 09:52 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Social Justice Pagan -- Clann Bhride, Otherfaith, UUism
    Pronouns
    they/them

The post on working out in the health section got some gears turning in my head.

Not as much as I should. Druidry to me is about keeping up proper relationships with the gods, spirits, and nature, but also the relationship to my own body. I know I can adopt more healthy habits and a better attitude towards myself/body and try to view it in that light.
    Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
    I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
    I shall endure.
    What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
    Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
    Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Dragonfly68 is on a distinguished road Dragonfly68's Avatar
    Last Online
    6 May 2013 @ 04:04 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    ADF

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Not as much as I should. Druidry to me is about keeping up proper relationships with the gods, spirits, and nature, but also the relationship to my own body. I know I can adopt more healthy habits and a better attitude towards myself/body and try to view it in that light.
    I feel the same. I think this is just me, but I get squirmy every time I'm asked questions like this. I have so many Christian friends who relate EVERYTHING they do as part of the duties of a proper Christian. It makes me wonder, does anyone do it just because it's the right thing to do or does it have to always be related to religion? I'm not slamming anyone who does it for religious reasons, it's just something that is always there in the back of my head.

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly68 View Post
    it's just something that is always there in the back of my head.
    I actually wonder just how much of life happens because of religion (Christianity) Like I'm sure our social evolution would have happened all the same but do you think the Industrial revolution and so on would have happened if people were still commonly worshiping the earth and all of its splendor?
    InnerWalden <-- New site
    "In the parlor there were three. He, the parlor lamp, and she. Two is a party but three is a crowd so the parlor lamp went out."

1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Dragonfly68 is on a distinguished road Dragonfly68's Avatar
    Last Online
    6 May 2013 @ 04:04 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    ADF

Quote Originally Posted by Chakabe View Post
    I actually wonder just how much of life happens because of religion (Christianity) Like I'm sure our social evolution would have happened all the same but do you think the Industrial revolution and so on would have happened if people were still commonly worshiping the earth and all of its splendor?
    Yeah, I think it would have still happened. Ancient cultures, while they honored nature spirits, were all about farming. Have to clear the trees away to farm, need to build better tools to clear the trees and to farm or take care of stock. So yeah, I think it would have still happened. Maybe in a different form, but it would have. Humans are human. We were made to explore, discover and create. Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad.
    Last edited by Dragonfly68; 5 Jul 2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: forgot a comma

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion

Yeah, I think it would have still happened. Ancient cultures, while they honored nature spirits, were all about farming. Have to clear the trees away to farm, need to build better tools to clear the trees and to farm or take care of stock. So yeah, I think it would have still happened. Maybe in a different form, but it would have. Humans are human. We were made to explore, discover and create. Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad.
    You make a very good point....At the moment I have no real counter argument...
    InnerWalden <-- New site

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Asch has a spectacular aura about Asch has a spectacular aura about Asch's Avatar
    Last Online
    8 Jan 2017 @ 08:54 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    ADF & OBOD

Well not just that but in some of the early Irish tales the clearing and settling of land was done by the gods and seen as a sacred act. None of the early peoples were environmentalists by any means, they revered nature but largely for what it could provide and its power over them.

It's just that now, in modern times, if we want to have anything sacred or wild left we *have* to protect it and as part of our (western) worldview that incorporates environmentalism and stewardship.

As to health/fitness...I'm not sure, I think it *should* but I haven't quite figured out the practicalities if that makes sense.

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion

As to health/fitness...I'm not sure, I think it *should* but I haven't quite figured out the practicalities if that makes sense.
    Well the way I see druidry is more or less like how Chistopher McCandless was (Into the Wild) Other then the death. Kinda need to be in good health to do that kinda of stuff. But I also know that is not just his way or the highway but I take a good bit of inspiration from him. Again I can not stress enough about the "Other then the Death" part." <-- Last part is a joke...well other then the death. (Ahah that must be getting old now.)
    InnerWalden <-- New site

Adept Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassOverdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage's Avatar
    Last Online
    5 Jul 2015 @ 09:52 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Social Justice Pagan -- Clann Bhride, Otherfaith, UUism
    Pronouns
    they/them

It makes me wonder, does anyone do it just because it's the right thing to do or does it have to always be related to religion? I'm not slamming anyone who does it for religious reasons, it's just something that is always there in the back of my head.
    For me, the right thing to do automatically feeds into my religious life, which ends up echoing it back out. A positive feedback loop, if you will. To me, everything is literally connected together - my actions don't occur in a vacuum. Every action I take sends ripples out into the pond. That's not religion to me, it's common sense.
    Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
    I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
    I shall endure.
    What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
    Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
    Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast