Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Commonwealth to discuss changing royal succession  (Read 1698 times)

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Commonwealth to discuss changing royal succession
« on: October 13, 2011, 12:27:51 pm »
British Prime Minister David Cameron has launched a push to rewrite the ancient rules of succession that currently restrict the chances of female royals inheriting the throne.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Commonwealth+discuss+changing+royal+succession/5541408/story.html#ixzz1agBUdljg

Good gods, it's about time! But I'll wait and see if they make an actual announcement that they're changing the rules. They're also talking about allowing the monarch to marry a Catholic now.

I was under the impression that the rules had been changed already. I find it distressing given England's history with queens who have ruled alone (I don't know about the rest of the UK). It seems kind of ironic considering who has the top spot now.

Also, it would really suck for the girl. "Oh, sorry, your brother's penis takes precedence over everything else."

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Commonwealth to discuss changing royal succession
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 05:33:04 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;25250
Good gods, it's about time! But I'll wait and see if they make an actual announcement that they're changing the rules. They're also talking about allowing the monarch to marry a Catholic now.

I was under the impression that the rules had been changed already. I find it distressing given England's history with queens who have ruled alone (I don't know about the rest of the UK). It seems kind of ironic considering who has the top spot now.

Also, it would really suck for the girl. "Oh, sorry, your brother's penis takes precedence over everything else."

Honestly, given how other European monarchies have changed their succession laws it was only a matter of time until the UK did (although I doubt they will change their "No Catholics or Spouse of Catholic" rule).  And if they are going to change the law, now (ie before William and Kate start having kids) is the time to do it.

I'm not sure of how it works in the Commonwealth, but wouldn't the individual counties need to change their laws if the UK does?  Would it mean it would be possible if there is a queen on the British throne but her younger brother reigns in Australia or something?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 06:03:25 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;25287
I'm not sure of how it works in the Commonwealth, but wouldn't the individual counties need to change their laws if the UK does?  Would it mean it would be possible if there is a queen on the British throne but her younger brother reigns in Australia or something?

As I understand it, changing the rules were require the agreement of all the Commonwealth countries. Therefore, the situation you mention would not happen.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 11:23:40 am »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;25250

Update: I saw this today as I was checking my email:

It's a girl! British royal succession rules to change.

Centuries of British royal discrimination came to an end Friday after Commonwealth leaders agreed to drop rules that give sons precedence as heir to the throne and bar anyone in line for the crown from marrying a Roman Catholic.

From here: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/girl-british-royal-succession-rules-change-104444789.html

This is great news!

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 06:17:52 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;27993
This is great news!

I'm really not surprised at the agreement. The only opposition I can see happening is some in the UK who will not want the prohibition on marrying a Catholic removed. I would not be surprised if there isn't a small but very vocal minority who will raise a fuss over that provision.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 07:14:40 am »
Quote from: RandallS;28060
I'm really not surprised at the agreement. The only opposition I can see happening is some in the UK who will not want the prohibition on marrying a Catholic removed. I would not be surprised if there isn't a small but very vocal minority who will raise a fuss over that provision.

The Orange Order for one lol. Between the Queen speaking Irish on her visit to Dublin, and this, they have no grounds to justify it. For all others, I'd say the same applies as well.
Semper Fidelis

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 08:22:50 am »
Quote from: Micheál;28128
The Orange Order for one lol.

They were one of the first groups likely to object that can to mind. There will be others, I'm sure. Fortunately, there are no really good arguments they can use to support their position that don't boil down to "we don't like Catholics".
Randall

Tags: