Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Thoughts on New Age spirituality  (Read 7192 times)

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on New Age spirituality
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 09:57:34 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;24901

Not sure about the "Children" as that to actually predates the New Agey stuff.  Rainbow Children goes back to Native American vision beliefs (Black Elk if I recall correctly (Rainbow Warriors actually)), Star Children I know goes back to the 1950's, I was born in 1959 and that is what I was called.  Then each generation coming up with its own special recognization.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe "crystal children" were first introduced by Doreen Virtue. This is from the blurb for her book. "The Crystal Children: A Guide to the Newest Generation of Psychic and Sensitive Children":

Crystal Children reflect the new generation that has come to the Earth plane after the Indigo Children. These children are like Indigos - highly psychic and sensitive - but without the dark edge and the anger energy. This book includes many interviews with Crystal Children, their parents and teachers. It discusses parenting and teaching methods that are essential to keeping these children happy and healthy, and how to avoid pitfalls that could spoil their special gifts.

You know it's all about light and love when even the indigo children are too dark and edgy!

I don't mean to sound so snarky yes I do but talk about sanitized...

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 10:08:51 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;25005
Don't quote me on this, but I believe "crystal children" were first introduced by Doreen Virtue. This is from the blurb for her book. "The Crystal Children: A Guide to the Newest Generation of Psychic and Sensitive Children":

You know it's all about light and love when even the indigo children are too dark and edgy!

I can't help but say haHAhahahaha.  Too true!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 06:17:29 am »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;25005

For sure, the various "Children" are part of the new age thing.  I recall a site I stumbled on that had tried to post the identifiers for each grouping and it was really sad.  Though I do admit it was also a bit humorus as I watched them argue about who was better.

I admit I edged it alone as I told them all when they can do things that are similar to the movies "VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED" and CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED" then i'd consider them special.  Not the sad remake of VILLAGE with Kirstie Alley but the original B&W.

I also admit I get into trouble from lumping the Therion / Otherkin grouping into the New Age practice as well.  It alwasy amazes me the number of Demonkin and Anglekin one finds out there.  Won't even go into the other Dragonkin and Elfinkin type things.  Though I always wonder why there are no Dwarfkin, Redcapkin, kelpie or Seliekin type things.  Heck I haven't even stumbled across a single Storm or Fire Giantkin much less an Ogrekin.

Miss

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 08:51:26 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;25049
For sure, the various "Children" are part of the new age thing.  I recall a site I stumbled on that had tried to post the identifiers for each grouping and it was really sad.  Though I do admit it was also a bit humorus as I watched them argue about who was better.

I admit I edged it alone as I told them all when they can do things that are similar to the movies "VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED" and CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED" then i'd consider them special.  Not the sad remake of VILLAGE with Kirstie Alley but the original B&W.

I also admit I get into trouble from lumping the Therion / Otherkin grouping into the New Age practice as well.  It alwasy amazes me the number of Demonkin and Anglekin one finds out there.  Won't even go into the other Dragonkin and Elfinkin type things.  Though I always wonder why there are no Dwarfkin, Redcapkin, kelpie or Seliekin type things.  Heck I haven't even stumbled across a single Storm or Fire Giantkin much less an Ogrekin.

I've never heard of indigo children before now, so I took a look at Wikipedia.

It basically states bluntly right at the top of the page that parents often use the label indigo children for their children who may actually have a learning disability, but are in denial of their children being "imperfect". So these kids are apparently labeled as superior, when they may really need treatment. Yikes. That's really sad.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 09:53:14 am »
Quote from: Miss;25061
I've never heard of indigo children before now, so I took a look at Wikipedia.

It basically states bluntly right at the top of the page that parents often use the label indigo children for their children who may actually have a learning disability, but are in denial of their children being "imperfect". So these kids are apparently labeled as superior, when they may really need treatment. Yikes. That's really sad.

Sad part is its not just parents labeling thier kids but also many adults trying to make themselvs special or remove them selves from any notion of personal responsibility for ones actions or lack there of.

Its really sad at times to read the many threads on the "Children" i.e. Indigo, Star, Crystal, Saphire, Rainbow, etc and see just how many utilize it as an excuse or justification for themselves.

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 10:43:36 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;25049

I wouldn't even go into mythical animals. I see a lot of tigers and wolves, not so many mice. A similar thing happens with totem animals, lots of big impressive ones, not so many lesser-known creatures (although, totemists like Lupa actively promote looking outside of the "impressive" animals). I suppose you could also say that sometimes the practitioner can't help it, and the big impressive animal chooses them, whether they like it or not.

Storm giantkin sounds kind of awesome, btw. It's a mouthful, but awesome.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 10:52:30 am »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;25071
I wouldn't even go into mythical animals. I see a lot of tigers and wolves, not so many mice. A similar thing happens with totem animals, lots of big impressive ones, not so many lesser-known creatures (although, totemists like Lupa actively promote looking outside of the "impressive" animals). I suppose you could also say that sometimes the practitioner can't help it, and the big impressive animal chooses them, whether they like it or not.

Storm giantkin sounds kind of awesome, btw. It's a mouthful, but awesome.

Ah totems, power animals, spirit guides is sort of like the Wizard of Oz song...Lions, and tigers and bears oh my!"

I get some interesting looks when I say my totem is Heron though Deer is a birth totem.  Snow Leopard & Dragon are spiritual totem's / guide's and Wolf is the Clan totem into which I was danced, Turtle is the clan into which I am born under some systems based upon certain Medicine Wheels.

Yet when they (collective use) go on about Dragon / Snow Leopard they don't understand it's nothing like they envision.  It's a fire / water thing and ruling elements and influences.

But I strognly agree, that whole totem, guide, animal thing has really been corrupted beneath the heading of New Age.  Sort of falls into that same notion of Journies, Vision Quests, Visions, etc.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 09:01:28 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;24941
I think that the clearest division of the two I've seen, given the large amount of overlap.

The only thing I might add is that, in the New Age movement, the focus on the transcendent (becoming enlightened, ascending to higher planes, a coming future era of widespread enlightenment, etc) tends to be more integral, while in the modern neoPagan movement (i.e., the movement as a general whole, not necessarily all Pagan religions) there's a tendency toward more focus on this world (what the "earth-based" thing was, as I recall it, originally intended to wave a hand in the direction of).  Very loose tendencies; both movements are, as Catja notes, emergent from the same sociocultural hodgepodge, and have cross-pollinated heavily even after diverging.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 08:03:18 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;25150
The only thing I might add is that, in the New Age movement, the focus on the transcendent (becoming enlightened, ascending to higher planes, a coming future era of widespread enlightenment, etc) tends to be more integral, while in the modern neoPagan movement (i.e., the movement as a general whole, not necessarily all Pagan religions) there's a tendency toward more focus on this world (what the "earth-based" thing was, as I recall it, originally intended to wave a hand in the direction of).

Good point -- and something that probably should be mentioned in any summary of differences between the two.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 05:38:13 pm »
Quote from: Geroth;24842
I'd just like to find out people's opinions on the New Age movement, like? dislike?

I think like every other religious movements it encompasses a couple things.

1. It probably started with the idea of combining many great philosophies to find a truth amongst them.

2. It contains truths. It contains non truths. Amongst all the different ideas that fall under that umbrella

3 It should be viewed with a critical eye. Just like everything else.

Thing is, people tend to get all up in knots about something "new". I often wonder why. We do live in an age where enlightenment is a much more possible thing for most people. So we may find things that people in the past didn't/couldn't. Just because a piece of information is old, can be verified as historically correct - does not automatically make it a spiritual truth. IMO.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

faebel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 10:53:59 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;24884
What I do like about New Age stuff is it can be thought provoking and can get people to at least question things and perhaps find a better path if they so choose.

I agree - the New Age culture certainly helped me find my way to Paganism. A few years back I accidentally stumbled across witchcraft through some New Age-style tumblr blogs. From there I found Wicca and began reading about Paganism. So I'm certainly grateful for that.

I also remember reading some really fluffy New Age book about the 'Wonder Of Unicorns' as a kid. I thought it would be about cute, magical ponies but instead it was heavily into the whole 'seventh plane of existence' and 'messengers of Jesus' thing.  Because I read it at such a impressionable age, its ideas on meditation and supernatural interactions really stuck with me, which I think has generally been beneficial. The Jesus part didn't quite stick with me as much though ;)
"The flower doesn’t dream of the bee. It blossoms and the bee comes."

Mark Nepo, The Book of Awakening

Tags: