Valdi is on a distinguished road Valdi's Avatar
    Last Online
    28 Sep 2012 @ 04:11 AM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Unsure

Reconciling with two different pantheons

How do you reconcile when you have two pantheons, who control similar things?

For example, let's say someone here is Hellenic and Ásatrúar: who is the "king of the gods"? Are they king of their pantheon of gods, or is one supreme, or something else?

How do you know to offer thanks to Thor, as opposed to Zeus, for example, if you honour both?

Administrator Achievements:
    OverdriveRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RandallS has disabled reputation RandallS's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:34 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Re: Reconciling with two different pantheons

Quote Originally Posted by Valdi View Post
    I'm not sure one really can -- at least not in all cases. Depending on how close the two pantheons' deities overlap, perhaps not even most cases.

Other the other hand, how important is it that you reconcile them? If you are trying to combine their worship, I guess it would be pretty important. However, if one is worshiping them separately, would it be very important?
    Randall
    RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
    Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
    Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Last Online
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Unsure

Quote Originally Posted by RandallS View Post
    However, if one is worshiping them separately, would it be very important?
    I think it may still be.

For example, does one thank Zeus or Thor for the thunderstorm, or ask for Sarasvatī or Minerva to bless them in their pursuit of knowledge, or Kāma or Venus for help one's love-life? Or both whenever one does?

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Initiatory religious witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

I think it may still be.

For example, does one thank Zeus or Thor for the thunderstorm, or ask for Sarasvatī or Minerva to bless them in their pursuit of knowledge, or Kāma or Venus for help one's love-life? Or both whenever one does?
    Which one do you have a relationship with?

I know lots of librarians, lots of computer geeks, and lots of really good cooks. From time to time, I ask most of them questions.

Which one I ask depends on my relationship with them (I will ask bigger favors of closer friends, generally), on their particular interest in what I'm trying to do (if they have a particular expertise or interest in a specific aspect, that might trump a closer relationship), or sometimes on who happens to be available (especially if there's more than just me involved.)

In deity work, I have some deities I have ongoing relationships with (in my case, from multiple pantheons), who I tend to turn to first, regardless of specialty. There are some deities where I don't honor them as regularly, but would prefer to start there for specialty work, rather than other deities interested in more or less the same general area (for example, I have an existing relationship with Artemis, but not so much with Diana).

And there are some times when the practices of my tradition, or the fact I'm working with a group have suggested honoring/working with a particular deity together, and I'll go with that even if I might have made a different choice working solely on my own, usually because someone involved has a strong practice working with a particular deity, or because there's group history involved.

If I come across a random thunderstorm, or a gorgeous moment at a beach, or something like that, I'm as likely to give thanks in general (all gods and goddesses of the sky/storm or ocean) as pick one, unless I have specific work in mind with one of them at that moment.
    Limen: Thoughts from a Threshold (my blog) :: http://gleewood.org/threshold
    Seeking (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism) :: http://gleewood.org/seeking

Administrator Achievements:
    OverdriveRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RandallS has disabled reputation RandallS's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:34 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

I don't really have much to say about the first case, but for the other two one might ask the deity that seems most appropriate for the specific request based on their myths. While deities in different pantheons may be similar, they are seldom identical. Even Athena (Greek) and Minerva (Roman) aren't truly identical. In many cases, what specific knowledge one is pursuing might suggest which deity to to call on, etc. This is just off the top of my head, however.
    Randall
    RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
    Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
    Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Nyktelios is on a distinguished road Nyktelios's Avatar
    Last Online
    8 Aug 2015 @ 09:58 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    open

For example, let's say someone here is Hellenic and Ásatrúar: who is the "king of the gods"? Are they king of their pantheon of gods, or is one supreme, or something else?

How do you know to offer thanks to Thor, as opposed to Zeus, for example, if you honour both?
    As a follower of Greek, Egyptian and Feri gods, I've also struggled with this kind of thing. For me, I'm more of a universalist, as I mainly view the gods as the same universal divinity manifesting in different forms, so I don't see much contradiction on honouring gods of different pantheons. I consider Isis to be the same as Aphrodite, who is the same as the Great Goddess of Feri. Conforming to a singular paradigm is Abrahamic in nature, not pagan, so you can interpret the gods through different cultural lenses if that's how you make sense of the universe.

Regarding which god you should honour for overlapping spheres of influence, I don't think it matters very much, and depends on the context.This is why I'm not a "hard" polytheist to the extreme, as I don't think there can be multiple deities ruling over the same things. If you want to honour the god of storms in a Greek way, honour Zeus, if you feel more in tune with Asatru at that time, honour Thor. If you want to honour both, do it, although you don't necessarily have to. You could also combine them into a syncretic deity, and honour Zeus-Thor that way. I don't believe there needs to be a historical precedent for syncretism if there is a modern need.

I think you're just over-thinking it, and just need to relax and honour the gods as the spirit moves you.

Last Online
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Unsure

Quote Originally Posted by Jenett View Post
    Which one do you have a relationship with?
    At the moment, none unfortunately.

I'm mostly attracted to Heathenry (primarily Anglo-Saxon Fyrnsidu), but I also have an interest in Hellenic and Roman. I'll always have a soft spot for Hindu (both Vedic and non-Vedic) deities, and an interest, but maybe not worship, of Shinto, Shenist (Chinese folk religion) and Celtic gods.

I asked primarily out of curiosity - and because I expect I will end up with multiple paths. I'm awkward that way.

Last Online
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Unsure

Quote Originally Posted by Carnelian View Post
    I think you're just over-thinking it, and just need to relax and honour the gods as the spirit moves you.
    I probably am. I over-think everything, always have.

Probably the cause of most of my spiritual issues - but I can't not do that for some reason, y'know?

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Nyktelios is on a distinguished road Nyktelios's Avatar
    Last Online
    8 Aug 2015 @ 09:58 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    open

I probably am. I over-think everything, always have.

Probably the cause of most of my spiritual issues - but I can't not do that for some reason, y'know?
    I know the feeling

Apprentice Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Pain and Light is on a distinguished road Pain and Light's Avatar
    Last Online
    24 May 2015 @ 10:43 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

I don't really think there's a need.

The pantheons,I believe, are much like tribes of people. Zeus being the big cheese of his tribe doesn't affect Iupiter from being head honcho of his.

Well, if you're giving thanks for something of which you don't know if one or both had something to do with, then why not give thanks to both? If you asked one or the other in particular for something and you got it, then I would say you give thanks to the one specifically asked.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast