Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Samhain, Halloween, All Souls Day, Día de los Muertos  (Read 14838 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Samhain, Halloween, All Souls Day, Día de los Muertos
« on: October 07, 2011, 03:05:12 pm »
At the end of October/first days in November comes a collection of holidays themed around the Dead/Spirits/etc: Samhain in Celtic Paganism, All Souls Day in the largest form of Christianity, Día de los Muertos in Mexico, and Halloween in the US. Which (if any) do you celebrate? Why (and how) do you celebrate it?
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Samhain, Halloween, All Souls Day, Día de los Muertos
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 03:13:46 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;24375
At the end of October/first days in November comes a collection of holidays themed around the Dead/Spirits/etc: Samhain in Celtic Paganism, All Souls Day in the largest form of Christianity, Día de los Muertos in Mexico, and Halloween in the US. Which (if any) do you celebrate? Why (and how) do you celebrate it?

Favorite time of year!
I celebrate a Halloween/Samhain mixture. This day is my new year. (Of course I do observe the calendar new year, but my personal count is 1st of November = new year.)

I like the candy, horror movie, fun decorations Halloween part a lot.
Been celebrating it for over 20 years in that way. The Samhain part is becoming more and more important. Especially since I think I've finally found my spiritual home.

I feel very rooted in my celtic ancestry and thus this day is most important. Even more so considering the liminal nature of my believes.

About the how we celebrate. That will be different each and every time. This year I will be holding a Ritual Meal and I'm not sure yet, if we have a Halloween party or if we just visit the open air museum, where they have an actual fire and celtic re-enactment on this day. Maybe all of the above. :cool:
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

KittyVel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 03:55:33 pm »

I celebrate Halloween with my family.  There's no particular reason except that I LOVE dressing up and scaring people and getting free candy.  XD  It's not a very spiritual holiday for me, so...Yeah.  Basically, my family and I decorate our house to make it look scary, and we freak out our elderly neighbors.  >.>
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 05:51:58 pm »

Halloween is my favorite holiday (it's a celebration of all things scary and I can be myself without having people stare at me), but I am drawn to aspects if Samhain (probably due to most of the gods I'm drawn to have chthonic aspects -- the idea of the veil between the worlds being thinnest appeals to me greatly).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 06:17:24 pm »
Quote from: KittyVel;24378
It's not a very spiritual holiday for me, so...Yeah.  Basically, my family and I decorate our house to make it look scary, and we freak out our elderly neighbors.  >.>

This pretty much describes me -- I celebrate Halloween like I do Christmas, purely secular. However, I do tend to do an annual Tarot reading for myself around Halloween.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 06:24:58 pm »

Kind of a mix. Halloween is fun for the kids, so we definitely do the whole dress up and trick or treat thing. As I personally celebrate Samhain, I add in an honorary meal and a special altar set up for my ancestors. Simple enough, but very meaningful to me.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 06:41:56 pm »

I celebrate Halloween because all my friends do, and Samhain and Dia de los Muertos because both have personal spiritual significance to me. Usually I make sugar skulls and put out an altar for the dead, but this year instead of skulls I'm doing skull-shaped cookies and taking them to work. The ultra-Christian dude that used to work with us has moved to a different location, so there's no one there who doesn't enjoy the concept of Dia de los Muertos, as well as the concept of free food. :) For the Samhain bit, I will probably do a roughly ADF-style ritual, although those usually end up derailing into improv for me.  Also, for Halloween, we're planning a huge mother of a blowout at the studio, so I'm making my Dia de los Muertos/Samhain plans with an eye to the hangover I'll have the next day.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 09:49:38 pm »

I celebrate Hallowe'en as the Feast of the Dead, although how I practice it differs from year to year. In the past I've used it to honour Dionysos's descent into the underworld, or Persephone as Queen of the dead. For the past two years or so, I've set up an altar to Osiris and lit candles and offered prayers for friends and family members who have passed on. Though I do follow Witchcraft traditions to a certain extent, I prefer to call it Hallowe'en or All Hallow's Eve rather than Samhain, just because I personally don't feel comfortable with Celtic tradition. I also have trouble pronouncing Celtic words. I know it's pronounced SOW-in, but whenever I read the word I just want to say Sam-hayn.

When it comes to Hallowe'en as a modern holiday for costumes and trick-or-treating, I'm a stick-in-the-mud grump who doesn't like to celebrate it that way. I enjoy candy and Hallowe'en themed TV specials, but I'm not into dressing up in some ridiculous outfit and getting drunk, which is what people my age like to do. I think it's fun for kids to dress up and enjoy that aspect of the holiday, but I just feel uncomfortable doing it as a 20-something. It sort of bothers me that people make a mockery of what I consider an important religious holiday, but I deal with it and accept people enjoy it in its present form.

Waterfall

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 10:19:55 pm »

I've always done Halloween just because living in America, almost everyone does and I've just never stopped even as I get older. I just have too much fun wearing a ridiculous costume (and not being looked at like a crazy person) and running around eating candy. And I love pumpkins, so it's a good excuse to have some hanging around the house.

In the past few years, my mother and I have started doing a few things for Dia de los Muertos. Mostly, we've just made sugar skulls, but she wants to do an offrenda this year. So we'll see how that goes. My mom's side of the family is Mexican, so we have some cultural connection there. I think she's trying to keep in touch with her culture since we don't live near the rest of the family and she lives in super-white-all-Mexicans-are-illegal-ville.

I've never done anything for Samhain, but my best friend is way into Celtic stuff and she wants to do something for it. I have no idea what she has in mind, but I'm down for whatever.

JuniperMorgan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 10:55:46 pm »
Quote from: Tana;24377
Favorite time of year!
I celebrate a Halloween/Samhain mixture. This day is my new year. (Of course I do observe the calendar new year, but my personal count is 1st of November = new year.)

I like the candy, horror movie, fun decorations Halloween part a lot.
Been celebrating it for over 20 years in that way. The Samhain part is becoming more and more important. Especially since I think I've finally found my spiritual home.

I feel very rooted in my celtic ancestry and thus this day is most important. Even more so considering the liminal nature of my believes.

About the how we celebrate. That will be different each and every time. This year I will be holding a Ritual Meal and I'm not sure yet, if we have a Halloween party or if we just visit the open air museum, where they have an actual fire and celtic re-enactment on this day. Maybe all of the above. :cool:

This pretty much.  

Samhain has always had personal spiritual significance for me however.  Looking forward to implementing a new part of ritual meal into an observance and setting up a more in depth honorarium for my ancestors since I've finally gotten pics and stories about them from my second cousin - who seems to be becoming the family historian.
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

LeaLynne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 11:16:45 pm »

I've always loved Halloween for the usual obvious reasons (free candy when i was a kid) ((and now just to dress up as fun monsters and spirits))
Samhain is usually a private celebration for me simply because my family dont know I'm pagan...but usually its just a small alter set up for a couple days and using the time and extra energy floating around my house to work any "Big" or "Complicated" magic I have planned.....

Siannan

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 11:41:07 pm »

I guess I see them as two separate holidays, one religious and one secular, that happen to share the same day.

I have an October birthday and I've often had themed parties, so Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays.  I love all of the "spooky, scary" things at Halloween, movies, haunted houses etc.  My son dresses up every year and we go trick or treating, which of course, he loves. :)  My work really goes all out for Halloween too, which is different and pretty cool too.

I am rather new to Celtic paganism so this will be my first Samhain.  I am not 100% sure what I will do yet.  I am doing a little research and am enjoying hearing what everyone else is doing for the holiday.

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 12:47:47 am »

This is, hands down, the BEST time of year in my opinion! I love the spooky atmosphere, and the connection to otherworldly spirits that can be felt at this time of year. At this time I celebrate Halloween, but only because it gives me an excuse to dress up as something I'm not (this year a kitty cat, yeah I don't very often do scary in my own costume) and wander the city with my eyes open to see what strange happenings are taking place. I wonder what I'll find this year? :D:

I'll just say it again, I LOVE OCTOBER and all it's mysteries <3

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 02:28:28 am »
Quote from: RandallS;24398
This pretty much describes me -- I celebrate Halloween like I do Christmas, purely secular. However, I do tend to do an annual Tarot reading for myself around Halloween.

Sounds about how I celebrate both Halloween and Christmas. (Except for the Tarot reading. I haven't tried that.)

Sadly, we don't even decorate much any more; our neighborhood doesn't seem to get many trick-or-treaters.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:29:41 am by victoreia »
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 07:57:07 am »
Quote from: victoreia;24487
Sadly, we don't even decorate much any more; our neighborhood doesn't seem to get many trick-or-treaters.

Our neighborhood doesn't get many either. I miss the hordes than came to my neighborhood when I was a child in the 1960s.
Randall

Tags: