Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Having a Patron that most don't  (Read 27537 times)

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Having a Patron that most don't
« on: October 04, 2011, 01:45:44 pm »
My Patron God is Amaethon, which for me kinda puts me in a small group who actually honor him, as far as I know. I was just wanted to know if others honored deities that most people don't, or kinda felt like they were alone in honoring a certain God or Goddess.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Having a Patron that most don't
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 02:54:21 pm »
Quote from: Celtag;23885
My Patron God is Amaethon, which for me kinda puts me in a small group who actually honor him, as far as I know. I was just wanted to know if others honored deities that most people don't, or kinda felt like they were alone in honoring a certain God or Goddess.

Yes. I am a follower of Ganesh. Haven't met anyone who follows him or anyone of the Hindu pantheon.
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 03:28:12 pm »
Quote from: sephira;23903
Yes. I am a follower of Ganesh. Haven't met anyone who follows him or anyone of the Hindu pantheon.

I've just been "conscripted" by Ganesha for the pathwork I am doing now, which is all about removing obstacles.  Whether He'll stay with me beyond that, I don't know.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 03:51:57 pm »

I worship Sekhmet who is not a common deity aside from goth kids who want to feel pain. She's got a bad rap for no reason whatsoever, too.

I was also recently pounced upon (literally) by Papa Legba. I know of no one who has an association with him as I do. Most people I know who end up being asked for service by the lwa are conscripted into vodou practices at some later point or are already vodiousants.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 03:52:29 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;23908
I've just been "conscripted" by Ganesha for the pathwork I am doing now, which is all about removing obstacles.  Whether He'll stay with me beyond that, I don't know.

He doesn't like it when you're rude. :D: I know that much.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

celestialwolf

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://celestialmountains.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:09:08 pm »

Ironically, when I worked in India, I felt disconnected when I tried to practice my path. After multiple attempts to find ways around it, I eventually went to the local temple (which was one who was devoted to Ganesh) and I ended up asking Ganesh for permission to worship my path in his domain. After that, the "link" returned and I was good. I made an effort every time I returned to India to ask his permission from then on out. To this day, I feel like Ganesh and I have a "working agreement" even though I no longer have to go there for work.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 09:25:44 am »

Juno doesn't seem to have a large following either. I don't think I know anyone else who is dedicated to Her. I do work with/for other goddesses as well, but Juno is the boss of me. I wouldn't say I feel alone as in lonely, but it would be nice to be able to bounce ideas around with others once in a while.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 09:57:29 am »
Quote from: Catherine;24039
Juno doesn't seem to have a large following either. I don't think I know anyone else who is dedicated to Her. I do work with/for other goddesses as well, but Juno is the boss of me. I wouldn't say I feel alone as in lonely, but it would be nice to be able to bounce ideas around with others once in a while.

Yeah i don't feel lonely, but yes being able to bounce ideas off others who also honor your Patron would be in some cases a lot of help. But I also feel kinda special knowing that Amaethon kinda chose me and feel honored by that, knowing not to many people have that relationship with him.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 10:57:22 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;23910

I was also recently pounced upon (literally) by Papa Legba.

Papa Legba huh? He likes to be in control. Waaaaaaaaay in control.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 12:58:47 pm »

My primary personal work is with two deities who are sufficiently unknown to the general population that I've had trouble isolating names for them. (I have names I call them, but they're not historically used names.) So, y'know, like that.

(I hope to eventually get further with that, but it's pretty much reached the "must go to England and wander around some specific places" step, and that's logistically complicated for a bit.)

The part that can be frustrating is explaining it to other people - there's basically no meaningful explanation that's shorter than a couple of paragraphs. The part I like, though it's also been frustrating, is that I *can't* rely on existing research about Them: I had to learn to trust my own intuition and my relationship with them, and the information I got from it.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 01:20:59 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;23908

I really like the Hindu pantheon and am researching more about them since Ganesh/Ganesha made himself known to me.
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 02:47:22 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;23910
I was also recently pounced upon (literally) by Papa Legba. I know of no one who has an association with him as I do. Most people I know who end up being asked for service by the lwa are conscripted into vodou practices at some later point or are already vodiousants.

I don't know if my relationship with him is similar to yours in any other way, but I also am not required/expected to practice vodou (I've been pretty definitely told that it's neither necessary or desirable) - it's about gates and way-opening and liminal stuff that are already a core part of my practice, not about me taking up a different practice.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 02:55:11 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;24050
Papa Legba huh? He likes to be in control. Waaaaaaaaay in control.

Um. Sort of the same, but not really? He likes to be in control in the aspect of making sure that I'm doing the right stuff. To the point where I'll lose my job because it's not something he thinks I should be doing. Like that, yes. Otherwise... I get a distinct trickster vibe.

Quote from: SunflowerP;24071
I don't know if my relationship with him is similar to yours in any other way, but I also am not required/expected to practice vodou (I've been pretty definitely told that it's neither necessary or desirable) - it's about gates and way-opening and liminal stuff that are already a core part of my practice, not about me taking up a different practice.

Sunflower

Our relationship is strictly platonic all about the crossroads and making big upheaval like changes to myself and my life.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

Garnet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Departmental; Feri, Thelema, Morningstar; Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/they
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 04:50:16 pm »

I've honored Him before. At this point I describe Him as a "respected partner at a different branch office of the company I work for - WayOpeners Inc." I say hi whenever I see an image of Him.

Garnet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Departmental; Feri, Thelema, Morningstar; Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/they
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 04:52:37 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;24074

Our relationship is strictly platonic all about the crossroads and making big upheaval like changes to myself and my life.

What is it about way-openers and upheaval? (Strictly rhetorical - I know at least a piece of how it works in my life.) I've done a lot of working with self-imposed limitations and life-changing stuff since becoming a devotee of Wepwawet and Others.

(Incidentally - Wepwawet was a very obscure deity to me when I first saw Darkhawk mention Him on TC. These days, though, I know or know of a fair number of devotees of Him, including my partner.)

Tags: