Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Sports: Working Out  (Read 8654 times)

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Working Out
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 09:33:27 am »
Quote from: cwummel;1172
If you workout what type of exercises, videos, etc. do you do for your workouts?

On the days I work, nothing. I work 12 hours on a med/surg unit at a hospital. That is enough of a work out those days.

On my 4 or 5 days off ...
5 min on treadmill walking at an incline to warm up
30-45 min of weights depeninding on what I feel like doing
20 min on eliptical
20 min on stationary bike

That is at the gym.

If the weather is nice below 65F and cloudy,  I will do a 4 to 6 mile bike ride

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 05:31:46 pm »
If you workout what type of exercises, videos, etc. do you do for your workouts?

I have an elliptical at home set up in front of my PC.  I bribe myself by only allowing myself to watch my favorite shows/movies when I'm exercising.

I also ride the bus to work several days a week, which necessitates me walking about 7.6 miles total those days.  Plus taking my dog for long walks on the weekends.  I also do a lot of physical work on my mini-farm.

Brina

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 08:05:14 pm »

I'll let you know in a bit. :D I finally purchased a gym membership (which according to some I've seen, is pretty cheap, especially for one that's open 24hrs). I'll be going with the boy and doing similar exercises (although my weights will be less! lol). The way he explained it is doing intense muscle work-outs in a short amount of time, or at least with short breaks in between the exercises, and then six reps in each exercise.

I am sure this is going to be fun. :P
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

DashesAgainst

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 08:57:51 pm »

I've been doing the challenge on this site: http://www.hundredpushups.com.  Also the squat, situp, and dip programs.  They're all simple & progressive challenges that don't require a gym, and work groups of muscles in one exercise.  I highly recommend the program.
"Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue." - The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

LeaLynne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 01:20:52 pm »

When I'm being good:
I go for an hour long walk in morning and another in the evening
When I'm being really good: I spend 30 mins on the total gym and then 30 more on the treadmill later that night...

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 03:43:15 pm »

I lift heavy weights four days a week in a split routine and run about 2 miles 3 days a week
[Now using the Cryfder account]

DerickVonD

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 04:38:12 am »
Quote from: Celtag;24706
I lift heavy weights four days a week in a split routine and run about 2 miles 3 days a week

I do the same, only I walk instead of running.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 09:01:50 pm »

Aiming for 30 mins on the treadmill 6-7 times per week. Going well so far. I started doing something like this way earlier this year, but eventually stopped.

Now I'm slowly clawing my way back into being able to run for more than a minute at a time (4 mph) instead of doing a brisk walking pace at 3. Going well so far. :) Also going to look into the "Couch to 5k" thing and see how that goes.

I'll include strength training hopefully soon.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

ALiteraryLady

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 09:48:16 am »

I normally do weightlifting 2 times a week, and for a while I was doing cardio five times a week, but recently I changed the cardio from a slower running pace (5.0 MPH) to a moderate one (6 mph) and I'm on my third week of running 10 miles a week. I'm also considering upping my weightlifting to three times a week.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 11:05:33 am »

We got a kinect as a post holiday present last year, so I have been working the Your Shape exercises.  It helps a lot to have the disc do the counting/repetitions, so I can just work on making my body do what I want it to do.  The one thing I really don't like about it is that the routines are kinda strange sometimes....and a lot of jumping-jack type of cardio....and jumping jacks are hard on my knees.

My personal goal is to do at least 20 minutes at least 5 days a week.  I will often push myself to do 30ish minutes of an actual cardio/strength workout, then yoga or tai chi to cool down, (with a little 'fun' game type thing to work out to start).  Then a bit of stretching.

Hubby has recently (about the last month) wanted to start doing more at home (he works 12 hour shifts at a printing press, so very physically active at work, but he can have up to 5 days off in a row), so we started walking for exercise after dinner.  There is a park by us with a gravel trail that goes up and down and around a little wooded area and it's pretty nice.  We do 2 miles, and keep a pretty brisk pace.

We are thinking about joining the Y when the weather turns cold so we can have access to the gym and what not there.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

hraefngar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: eclectic pagan
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 07:42:36 pm »

Treadmill for 10 - 15 minutes, followed by an hour of weightlifting. One day on, two days off for rest. Repeat.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 10:03:14 pm »
Quote from: hraefngar;201411
Treadmill for 10 - 15 minutes, followed by an hour of weightlifting. One day on, two days off for rest. Repeat.

Since we're resurrecting this thread...

I do my weight training (mostly free weights) at the gym for 1.5-2 hours, on a 2-day split:
Day 1: Legs, chest, triceps
Day 2: Shoulders, back, biceps

Day 3 is for aerobics: a 5-mile run, with 4 brief sprinting intervals thrown into the mix.

Then a day or two of rest. Repeat.

So while I've got the strength and aerobics routine down, stretching used to be my big failing. But lately I've been doing a full 20 minutes of stretching at the beginning of the gym days (a bit less time before the run), which is one reason why the hours at the gym are so long.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Goddess_Ashtara

• Journeyman
  • DINGIR NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Nexion 3127
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2017, 01:43:39 pm »
If you workout what type of exercises do you do for your workouts?

I workout five or six days a week, alternating with weights by doing upper body one day and lower body the next day, followed with a session of sprints usually after each workout.  

Regardless if I am doing upper body or lower body, each workout with weights usually consists of four or five exercises.  I usually do four sets of ten reps (4x10) with each exercise, sometimes 3x7 or 3x6, depending on the exercise and how much weight.  There are few exercises however where I might consider doing 4x25 or 3x33, but those usually are not free weights or compound exercises, which I greatly prefer.  So usually it's just 4x(4x10), not including anything I do to warm up.  If I am too sore for a really intense workout, I might bring it down to 4x(3x10).

After leaving the gym I find a place to go running.  I stretch first and then I do sprints for about twenty to thirty minutes.  I sprint between 90-100% speed for about ten seconds or so and then walk for a bit, and then repeat, until I am satisfied.  Sometimes I might alter the workout and just do some distance training instead, but my primary focus on most days is anaerobic training.

This all takes place very early in the AM, long before sunrise, and when most people are deep asleep.  Working out is usually among the first things I do, about and hour or so after breakfast.

Then, later on in the day, if I am not too sore and if I have the time, I might consider going through techniques or performing body weight exercises.  

I combine all this with adequate sleep, high protein intake, solid nutrition and lots of water.  I already have the body I want; I train to increase athletic performance and attributes.
𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨
NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨

Tags: