Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: why do you blog? and other blog related things  (Read 3847 times)

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
why do you blog? and other blog related things
« on: October 03, 2011, 11:04:52 am »
For those cauldronites out there who write blogs, i have a few questions for you about your blogging experiences.

• Why did you start a blog
  • What do you get out of blogging?
  • Are regular posts important to you?
  • Anything else about blogs you'd care to mention
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: why do you blog? and other blog related things
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 11:10:59 am »
Quote from: savvy;23692
For those cauldronites out there who write blogs, i have a few questions for you about your blogging experiences.

I started my first blog in middle school (somewhere between 1998 - 2000); I don't precisely recall my motivation, but I believe it was something along the lines of wanting to have my own little home on the web. My dad had a website which he updated periodically, so I assume that was my inspiration.

I have always had a blog since then; it has varied in activity and focus, but generally I just blog about my day to day life. I have been journaling my whole life, so it's a natural outlet for me, and since my dad and his side of the family live far away from me (my dad is the closest at a 14 hour drive) it's a way of keeping in touch. Because of that, I do try to update at least twice a month, though I don't always have anything interesting to say.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 12:45:28 pm »

1. I started a blog just to have a place to record my thought and ideas.

2. Right now, it is just what it is. I like the sitting down and writing my thoughts on books, movies, and my life.

3. I post if I have something to post about. I did sign up to do a November bolg challenge to see if that will help my writing, and posting better.

4. I have noticed that as I change my blog changes as well. It shows how I grow and change.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 12:47:37 pm »

• Why did you start a blog?
  • Anything else about blogs you'd care to mention?

1. Everyone else was doing it.
2. I enjoy it. It is cathartic and helps me develop my practice.
3. Kinda. I'd greatly like to start posting regularly.
4. My blog is called the Aedes Sidus and is on WordPress. Check it out if you care to.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 01:50:53 pm »
Why did you start a blog?

I started a personal blog way back when. I always wanted a diary/journal, but found it exceedingly difficult to keep up with one that's hand written. I don't know why I find it easier to write about my day-to-day via the computer.

I started a spiritual blog because all of my spiritual commentary, issues, and confusion was boggling my brain.

What do you get out of blogging?

I like being able to write things down and put it in to clarity. Hell, I just like to write.

Are regular posts important to you?

I guess. I don't really make it a high priority on my list. I mostly just push shit out when I feel compelled or my brain is full or confusion reigns supreme.

Anything else about blogs you'd care to mention.

Wordpress is a good site.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Firaza

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 05:21:24 pm »

1. I always have the urge to write things down, and since I've been blogging since 2003, it's habit for me now.
2. I really get satisfaction from writing down my thoughts and being able to read and reread them, as my memory is pretty terrible.
3. Not really. I post when I get the urge.
4. Wordpress is a good site for long posts, whereas I enjoy tumblr for spur-of-the-moment random blogging.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 09:49:23 am »

Why did you start a blog

Depends which one you mean: I've been using social blogging sites (LiveJournal, and more recently Dreamwidth) for a bit over 10 years, which I use for a combination of keeping up with friends, sorting out stuff in my own head, and tracking what's going on in my life. (Both my LJ and DW accounts are largely protected posts, not public.)

I've maintained independent blogs on other topics for other reasons - my Limen: thoughts from a threshold to share stuff I wanted to talk about in public space re: religion and religious practice, and my professional blog more recently as a way to demonstrate my tech skills, talk about things of interesting, and add depth to my job hunt while I was hunting.

(I have been *really lousy* about keeping up with both of the latter for the last couple of months, but have plans to change that real soon now.)

What do you get out of blogging?

Writing things for people who are outside my head helps me clarify things inside my head. This is, I find, really handy, even if I don't get comments. When I do get comments - especially on LJ and DW - they're often very helpful, as I have a bunch of insightful, smart, thoughtful people who read there, and who will call me on stuff when I'm being stupid about something, point out things I'm trying to overlook, or otherwise have useful advice and experience to share.

With the public blogs, I really enjoy having a way to share info and experiences in a larger context. (I love forums like this, but writing on a site that's just about me, there are ways I can cross-link information, refer back to older posts easily, etc. that creates a larger resource.)

Are regular posts important to you?

In theory, yes. In practice, they are not my top priority, and that means when I'm short on time/brain/energy, they drop off the things to do list. (This is partly because, especially in the public blogs, I really don't want to do quick casual things: I want to do more meaty stuff. Which, of necessity, takes more brain and focus to do.)

Again, am on the verge of being able to fix that.  

Anything else about blogs you'd care to mention

One of the big things to think about is platform - and whether you're dependent on the good graces of a company who may not have your preferences at heart. There's a reason I'm on both LJ and DW (above and beyond adoring DW's approach to the world, and being a good friend of one of the co-founders) and part of that is mirroring content in case one site is unavailable or takes a turn in a business direction I want nothing to do with.

But for other content, I host myself, for a lot of the reasons outlined in this post by John Scalzi (and especially for the professional blog). I bounce links to those posts to Facebook and Twitter - but fundamentally, I want to  be in control of my primary professional public face, not rely on an external company.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Star

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 04:43:43 pm »

1.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.  I've been journaling since I was in elementary school; as more and more of my life moved onto the Net, it was natural that my journal would too.

2.  Blogging helps clarify my thoughts, blow off steam, get some nice creative thing that's stuck in my head down in words, document important events in my life...  All kinds of things.  On rare occasions, it also serves as a way to communicate personal news to my friends and family, but generally my policy is "I'm doing this for me, and if you get something out of it, that's fine too".

3.  I sort of feel bad if I don't post regularly (as I haven't lately).  I feel like I've neglected something (and I have, because blogging as a form of writing is exercise for my creative muscles).  I don't feel too bad about it, though.  I should mention that this is because I'm just blogging casually for my own amusement; if blogging were my job, or I were writing specifically to provide content to an audience, I would consider it much more important to be punctual and post regularly.

4.  "Blogging" is a pretty wide field, but I can try to offer some commentary if you'd care to be more specific.
"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Journal: Star\'s Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Musings: The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Tags: