Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Idiots Guide to Celtic Wisdom  (Read 3817 times)

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Idiots Guide to Celtic Wisdom
« on: October 03, 2011, 09:15:43 am »
I am currently reading this book and just wanted to know if anyone here has read this book or not. It was recommended to me. If any on here have read it, what are your thoughts about it.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Idiots Guide to Celtic Wisdom
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 01:57:04 am »
Quote from: Celtag;23686
I am currently reading this book and just wanted to know if anyone here has read this book or not. It was recommended to me. If any on here have read it, what are your thoughts about it.

It's a great book for learning the basics of the Celtic mindset. The humor was very tongue-in-cheek (as most Idiot's Guides would be), all the little notes were fascinating, and it didn't get too preachy with the "respect the earth" information.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 09:48:53 am »
Quote from: Sharysa;45932
It's a great book for learning the basics of the Celtic mindset. The humor was very tongue-in-cheek (as most Idiot's Guides would be), all the little notes were fascinating, and it didn't get too preachy with the "respect the earth" information.
Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I thought it was a very good book for those starting out on a Celtic path.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

njsquarebear

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 07:05:31 am »
Quote from: Celtag;23686

I think it's a great introduction to the topic.  The first time I read it, was as an "easy reading" source I read in bed before falling off to sleep (its topics are written in short paragraphs or bullet points).  A few months later I re-read it with a highlighter.  At first, I sort of found the constant repetition of the author's writing the same thing in a slightly different way annoying... but then I realized how much information I was retaining from each chapter, unlike other books written at an academic level.  His writing-style (or perhaps the series-style?) is simplistic and broken-down in easily understood segments... but, personally, I didn't find it 'fluffy'.  He offers a lot of additional resources you can look for... he constantly encourages you to do your own personal reading of other resources as well as inner exploration.  While the book largely looks at Celtic wisdom from a pagan/neo-pagan and neo-druid POV, the author does have a chapter on Celtic wisdom as it pertain to Christianity which was helpful and interesting.  I'd highly recommend it as a "101"-level book because it'll spark your interest in so many related areas of additional reading that you may not have ever known about before.  As well, it's an enjoyable read with its little fun facts, "warnings", and celtic word definitions scattered about.
peace,
Brian (njsquarebear)

Tags: