collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Interested in ADF  (Read 2627 times)

LinguisticPagan

• View Profile
Interested in ADF
« on: October 03, 2011, 12:47:33 am »
I've been lurking around TC for a while now but haven't really contributed anything other than an introduction. I'm very interested in joining ADF, although right now, I'm not really in the position to join since I'm moving to another state sometime within the next month. In the meantime, I've been reading up on practically everything on their website and would really like to start some sort of practice; however, I'm not really sure where to start. I want to honor the Kindreds, but I've never been contacted by a deity (that I know of). I would have no problem honoring my ancestors (since I know who they are) or nature spirits (since they're around me), but I don't know how I should go about honoring the gods when I don't know them.
After I move, I plan on joining ADF and starting the Dedicant's path, but for now I'm at a loss. Any advice?

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Interested in ADF
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 12:59:09 am »
Quote from: LinguisticPagan;23639
I've been lurking around TC for a while now but haven't really contributed anything other than an introduction. I'm very interested in joining ADF, although right now, I'm not really in the position to join since I'm moving to another state sometime within the next month. In the meantime, I've been reading up on practically everything on their website and would really like to start some sort of practice; however, I'm not really sure where to start. I want to honor the Kindreds, but I've never been contacted by a deity (that I know of). I would have no problem honoring my ancestors (since I know who they are) or nature spirits (since they're around me), but I don't know how I should go about honoring the gods when I don't know them.
After I move, I plan on joining ADF and starting the Dedicant's path, but for now I'm at a loss. Any advice?

You might find it useful to look at various ADF Hearth Cultures and look into their deities to see if any are of interest or resonate with you. You don't have to have been contacted by a deity to honor it.

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 01:04:45 am »
Quote from: LinguisticPagan;23639
I want to honor the Kindreds, but I've never been contacted by a deity (that I know of). I would have no problem honoring my ancestors (since I know who they are) or nature spirits (since they're around me), but I don't know how I should go about honoring the gods when I don't know them.

You don't have to be "contacted" by a deity to honor them.  Many people aren't.  Part of the dedicant path is exploring different hearth cultures and finding the one that interests and feels right to you.  Or, if you join a local grove you could follow whatever hearth culture they are.  Are you planning on joining a local grove or being solitary?

LinguisticPagan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 01:28:52 am »
Quote from: Asch;23643
You don't have to have been contacted by a deity to honor it.

I've actually thought that but have been a little hesitant. I wouldn't want to impose my will on the gods by trying to form a relationship with them if they're not interested. This may just be because I've read so many stories from people who have deep connections with deities who have been with them from the beginning of their practice, i.e. a patron. One of the things that I want most in the world is to feel that connection with a deity or deities.

I also know that this is not always how it happens. For now I will try to take your advice and honor the gods as best as I can in the hopes that eventually, one (or a few) of them will contact me in some way.

I've been looking into the Hearth Cultures, and as of right now, the Irish Culture seems to be the one that resonates most with me. This might seem cliche for ADF, but from all of my research into the myths of the various Indo-European cultures, the Irish culture is the only one where I have a vague "coming home" feeling, if that makes sense.

Quote from: Dragonfly68;23644
You don't have to be "contacted" by a deity to honor them.  Many people aren't.  Part of the dedicant path is exploring different hearth cultures and finding the one that interests and feels right to you.  Or, if you join a local grove you could follow whatever hearth culture they are.  Are you planning on joining a local grove or being solitary?

I've checked to see if their are any groves near where I'll be, but they all seem to be on the other side of the state. I'm moving to southern Illinois, and all the groves seem to be in the northern, Chicago area. So it looks like I'll be going solitary for now.

Thank you both for your quick replies.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 02:14:52 am »
Quote from: LinguisticPagan;23649
I've actually thought that but have been a little hesitant. I wouldn't want to impose my will on the gods by trying to form a relationship with them if they're not interested. This may just be because I've read so many stories from people who have deep connections with deities who have been with them from the beginning of their practice, i.e. a patron. One of the things that I want most in the world is to feel that connection with a deity or deities

Last I checked a respectful hello =/= imposing your will. IME/O it's rare and unusual to have direct deity contact, I mean, they're deities, they're busy. It's more likely (again IME/O) that most direct contacts with the Kindreds will be via Ancestors and Nature Spirits.

But, don't let that discourage you some folks do have close personal relationships with deity but of those I don't think too many started off with a whiz bang slap to the head :)

LinguisticPagan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 03:11:59 am »
Quote from: Asch;23657
Last I checked a respectful hello =/= imposing your will.

But, don't let that discourage you some folks do have close personal relationships with deity but of those I don't think too many started off with a whiz bang slap to the head :)

A smack to the head would be nice :)

For some reason, in my head, I didn't equate honoring the gods as a "respectful hello," but that makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 04:39:17 am »
Quote from: LinguisticPagan;23663
A smack to the head would be nice :)

For some reason, in my head, I didn't equate honoring the gods as a "respectful hello," but that makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

Do a search for the term 'Ghosti' on the ADF site, I'm pretty sure there's at least one public article about it. Basically, it is a term for the relationship of reciprocity we strive for via sacrifices etc. :)

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 06:02:19 pm »
Quote from: Asch;23668
Do a search for the term 'Ghosti' on the ADF site, I'm pretty sure there's at least one public article about it. Basically, it is a term for the relationship of reciprocity we strive for via sacrifices etc. :)

http://www.adf.org/cgi-bin/adf/web-search?keywords=ghosti

Tags: