Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Author Topic: Does anyones religion play into their political views?  (Read 2973 times)

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Does anyones religion play into their political views?
« on: October 02, 2011, 06:13:08 pm »
Hello there, I am Todd Grove and new to this server. I have a simple question really. Does your religion play at all into your political views, or are your political views seperate? I wonder because a lot of my views on religion and politics sort of intermix to an extent. I find it very interesting actually... So please tell me what you think fellow Cauldron users! :)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Does anyones religion play into their political views?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 06:28:48 pm »
Quote from: ToddGrove;23561
Hello there, I am Todd Grove and new to this server. I have a simple question really. Does your religion play at all into your political views, or are your political views seperate? I wonder because a lot of my views on religion and politics sort of intermix to an extent. I find it very interesting actually... So please tell me what you think fellow Cauldron users! :)

I guess I would say my religion and my political views are separate. They often inform each other, but my political views are not caused by my religion nor did I select my religion based on my politics.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 08:15:29 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;23566
I guess I would say my religion and my political views are separate. They often inform each other, but my political views are not caused by my religion nor did I select my religion based on my politics.

Interesting. Thanks Randalls! :D

GreentreeTarot

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 08:51:50 pm »

I absolutely believe in separation of church and state, so I would never vote for a politician based solely on their religion; or for anyone who advocated one religion over another in public life.

That said, my morals are informed by my religion; and they certainly do make a difference in the way I vote.

GreentreeTarot

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:00:16 pm »
Quote from: GreentreeTarot;23588
I absolutely believe...

I should also add that it's possible that my politics have influenced my religion.  One of the (many) reasons I left the church I grew up in was their intolerance on issues such as gay rights and evolution.

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 09:05:53 pm »

Politics seems to find its way into everything these days.  I try to keep the separate and the separation of church and state here in the US I think is so important, but when I see one side of the political spectrum try to being their religion into government almost constantly, then I find it hard not to see both get intertwined.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 07:30:25 am »

My religion itself is separate, and I work hard to keep it so.  My political beliefs don't belong in what I'm trying to make a universal system.

My PERSONAL religious beliefs play highly into my political viewpoints.  What I believe is right affects what I do, after all.  But while they meld inside my head, I try to be clear which is which outside.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 08:56:50 am »

I am always me.  The world is always the world.  I am always me relating to the world.  There is no separate religious sphere and political sphere for me to pretend to be different people in.  Pretending otherwise is foolish.

I consider it a point of, if not ethics, fundamental practicality to not argue for political positions that I cannot support with non-religious logic.  Religious logic is only convincing to co-religionists; even if I actually had more than a handful of those, it's far better to construct public policy based on principles that are common to more or less the entire public.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: