Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Mexico City Considers Temporary Marriage Licenses  (Read 1967 times)

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Mexico City Considers Temporary Marriage Licenses
« on: October 01, 2011, 07:53:36 pm »
‘Til death do us part … for two years? Mexico City lawmakers are proposing legislation that would allow newlyweds to apply for temporary marriage licenses, instead of making the plunge into wedded life a lifetime commitment.

The legislation’s proponents argue that the hassle of divorce could be avoided by making these licenses an option, according to Reuters. The change to civil code was proposed this week and would allow couples to decide the length of the commitment, with two years as the minimum.

If couples are still enjoying wedded bliss when the contract ends, then they would be able to renew the license. And if they’re unhappy, the contract expires and they are both free without going through a divorce.

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/09/mexico-city-considers-temporary-marriage-licenses/

Hm, it sounds like a good idea on paper, but I suppose some religious groups aren't taking it well.

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Re: Mexico City Considers Temporary Marriage Licenses
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:24:15 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;23403
Source: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/09/mexico-city-considers-temporary-marriage-licenses/

Hm, it sounds like a good idea on paper, but I suppose some religious groups aren't taking it well.

Never mind the religious groups, what happens to the children, born and conceived during that time?
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:46:56 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;23408
Never mind the religious groups, what happens to the children, born and conceived during that time?

*shrugs* what happens to children of divorce or children of unwed parents?  I don't see how this would be any different.

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:38:15 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;23409
*shrugs* what happens to children of divorce or children of unwed parents?  I don't see how this would be any different.

As I understood it, it would not be a divorce, and the parents were not unwed.  Who has what responsibility toward them?  And legally how would it be enforced?

How do the children explain it to their classmates?  Yes my parents were married, no they are not married, no they did not get divorced, and no there was no annulment.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 01:01:55 am »
Quote from: mlr52;23450

How do the children explain it to their classmates?  Yes my parents were married, no they are not married, no they did not get divorced, and no there was no annulment.

If this passes, then it probably be well-known and possibly common enough that said children wouldn't have to explain it much beyond "my parents chose not to get their license renewed."

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 09:18:04 am »
Quote from: mlr52;23450
As I understood it, it would not be a divorce, and the parents were not unwed.  Who has what responsibility toward them?  And legally how would it be enforced?

I still don't understand how this messes with things like child support.  If the system's set up to handle child support, it can handle that variation too.

And honestly - "what would the kids think" - kids come from all kinds of families.  parents didn't renew would have to be a LOT better than parents had a knock-down drag-out divorce that made being co-parents impossible.

Tags: