Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: A miniature shrine for the Muses?  (Read 3827 times)

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
A miniature shrine for the Muses?
« on: September 30, 2011, 11:47:54 am »
So I've been considering to set a shrine for the Muses, on my writing desk - that is unfortunately in plain sight in a corner of my kitchen, so i've little space at my disposal, and a necessity to stay under the radar of eventual guests with low-keyness.

I was thinking that I might 'camouflage' the shrine as a sort of tiny zen garden - orange colored sand and nine white sea-stones to represent the Nine Muses, a printed picture of Them...
But I can't think of anything else to make it nicer. Any advice on other symbols or ideas I might use?
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: A miniature shrine for the Muses?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 06:26:19 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;23213
I was thinking that I might 'camouflage' the shrine as a sort of tiny zen garden - orange colored sand and nine white sea-stones to represent the Nine Muses, a printed picture of Them...
But I can't think of anything else to make it nicer. Any advice on other symbols or ideas I might use?

I like that just as it is.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 10:09:02 am »
Quote from: RandallS;23274
I like that just as it is.

Thank you for replying.

And after further brooding over the subject, I  came to consider that keeping it simple would be really the best option. I want set the white seastones in a circle over the organge sand and set an orange short candle/tealight in the center of the circle. This way I can do offerings of fire and honoring the firey qualities of inspiration.

The remaining problem now is where I put this stuff in. In the beginning, I took for granted i was going to use a small bowl but now it seems impratical...maybe i should use a metal chocholates box I brought back from the my vacation in Belgium- it looks very nice, and it's shaped like a house... well, not a house, more like a chocholate shop building. Still, it's pretty and it's creative so maybe it would be apprecciated.

Yet I feel uneasy about using such random stuff for the shrine...

Thoughts?
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Icon by jewelotus

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:07:06 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;23353

And after further brooding over the subject, I  came to consider that keeping it simple would be really the best option. I want set the white seastones in a circle over the organge sand and set an orange short candle/tealight in the center of the circle. This way I can do offerings of fire and honoring the firey qualities of inspiration.

The remaining problem now is where I put this stuff in. In the beginning, I took for granted i was going to use a small bowl but now it seems impratical...maybe i should use a metal chocholates box I brought back from the my vacation in Belgium- it looks very nice, and it's shaped like a house... well, not a house, more like a chocholate shop building. Still, it's pretty and it's creative so maybe it would be apprecciated.

Thoughts?

First off, this is a wonderful idea, and I may steal it, if that's okay. =) It would help me find inspiration when I can't think of where to go next...

Also, the Zen garden idea is pretty creative. As for using the random stuff, I'm sure the Muses would understand. Of course, it is best to go with what feels best for you. But remember, not everyone could afford elaborate statues to worship their dieties. Sometimes the simplest things can be just as good as a marble statue. =)
And if you want to use a portrait of them, or something similar, keep in mind that people who don't know you are pagan wouldn't be surprised to see a statue of Greek dieties or such as decor around the house. Just say its inspiration. =)

And lastly, I remember my grandmother buying me a Zen garden years ago at the dollar store or somewhere similar. It was really nice; rather small, but it had sand, stones, and the little dish was really pretty. =) Good luck with the shrine. =)
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 06:56:35 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;23353

Thoughts?

If it comes together in a way that is meaningful to you and respects your beliefs, I think it is fine. After all, you want something that looks "random zen" to those who see it, but means "Muses" to you.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

LeaLynne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 02:51:00 pm »
So I've been considering to set a shrine for the Muses, on my writing desk - that is unfortunately in plain sight in a corner of my kitchen, so i've little space at my disposal, and a necessity to stay under the radar of eventual guests with low-keyness.

i've found that I could put an alter right in front of my front door and most people just thought it was a nice decorative touch....
most people also dont think twice about my own figures of the muses kept on a shelf over my desk,
or the ones of Anubis or Thor around the house, or the Athena statue I keep with my books.
I think that you idea is very creative, where as mine sounds rather unoriginal.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:23:57 am »

Thank you for the encouragement, everyone!

I thought you might want to see how it turned out:

Apologies for the bad qualitity and perspective of the picture but it's the best i could manage with the webcam. ;)

The candle is setting on a seashell, and another smaller seashell is sitting close to it... not no other reason than it looked pretty and creative inspiration belongs to the water realm as  much it does to fire.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:26:37 am by SkySamuelle »
Icon by jewelotus

JuniperMorgan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 02:57:47 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;23865
Thank you for the encouragement, everyone!

I thought you might want to see how it turned out:

Apologies for the bad qualitity and perspective of the picture but it's the best i could manage with the webcam. ;)

The candle is setting on a seashell, and another smaller seashell is sitting close to it... not no other reason than it looked pretty and creative inspiration belongs to the water realm as  much it does to fire.

That looks awesome!  And you've inspired me to try something similar - with one added challenge - making it cat proof!
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 06:17:04 am »
Quote from: JuniperMorgan;23904
That looks awesome!  And you've inspired me to try something similar - with one added challenge - making it cat proof!

Thank you.
Making it cat-proof might the TRUE inspirational challenge - I remember when i had a cat around the house, he wouldn't rest until he put his cute llittle sneaky nose into EVERYTHING.

While tending to shrine i potentially noticed something- Muses tend to respond to my offering in a way i can sense, only if i acknowledge their mother first...

Has this happened to others or is it a just-me-thing?:confused:
Icon by jewelotus

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 11:15:37 am »
Any advice on other symbols or ideas I might use?

I don't have a shrine for the muses, although I've thought about it over the years. As a kind of halfway point between an out-and-out altar to them and a head-dip in their direction, I bought a small black statue of a scribe from ancient Egypt some time last year.

This seems to work.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

JuniperMorgan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 02:26:21 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;29887
Thank you.
Making it cat-proof might the TRUE inspirational challenge - I remember when i had a cat around the house, he wouldn't rest until he put his cute llittle sneaky nose into EVERYTHING.

While tending to shrine i potentially noticed something- Muses tend to respond to my offering in a way i can sense, only if i acknowledge their mother first...

Has this happened to others or is it a just-me-thing?:confused:

Yep...and seeing as I currently has 12 of the little buggers in the house...extra challenging!  Enough that I'm still trying to figure it out :)

As to the question...I'm not sure.  I haven't specifically done something for the Muses before....I'll let you know what I experience though.
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 02:40:01 pm »
Quote from: JuniperMorgan;29934
Yep...and seeing as I currently has 12 of the little buggers in the house...extra challenging!  Enough that I'm still trying to figure it out :)

As to the question...I'm not sure.  I haven't specifically done something for the Muses before....I'll let you know what I experience though.

You know now I think back... there was one single thing that kept my wildcat away from the couch he so loved tpo scratch- me spraying on his favorite spot Kenzo perfume. I guess the scent was so strong that he could not stand because when i waved the paper-flower sprayed with it in his direction, he ran the other way:whis:

So maybe that might be helpful.
Icon by jewelotus

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 02:17:06 am »
Quote from: JuniperMorgan;29934

Regarding the cat-proofing: This is just a thought, but if it's a small shrine, perhaps a shelf sized just large enough for the shrine, away from other cat-accessible ledges? Or perhaps something cabinet-like hung on the wall, so it can be closed if kitties figure a way up to it? (I watched too much DIY Network and HGTV in the hospital last summer.)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:17:50 am by victoreia »
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Tags: