Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: What is a Christian Witch?  (Read 24583 times)

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is a Christian Witch?
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2014, 01:27:10 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;155124
Hi, PrincessKLS,

Just so you know, this thread is over 2 1/2 years old, and the OP hasn't been back in over 2 years. Reviving the thread is okay, but don't expect the person who initially asked the question to respond, or even to see your reply.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff

Which would certainly cut down on the possibilities of any arguments or unpleasantness breaking out:D:

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2014, 11:33:43 am »
Quote from: sephira;23122
ok, that explains it better. thanks. I'll let her know.

Okay as a Christian witch myself, the best I can describe it is, a journey, you get exposed to Christian concepts, pagan (neopagan) concepts and you find a way of combining it.
PrincessKLS

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2014, 12:12:41 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;162473
Okay as a Christian witch myself, the best I can describe it is, a journey, you get exposed to Christian concepts, pagan (neopagan) concepts and you find a way of combining it.

A fair few Christian witches would, from what I've observed, rather object to the notion that their Craft was neo/pagan.  Particularly the more traditionalist sorts tend to think of it as a gift from God.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2014, 12:17:42 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;162480
A fair few Christian witches would, from what I've observed, rather object to the notion that their Craft was neo/pagan.  Particularly the more traditionalist sorts tend to think of it as a gift from God.

-nod- I know a number of individuals who believe their divination abilities are a gift of the Holy Spirit. Not all witches are Pagan, and not all Paganism is directly conflicted with all Christianity.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2014, 07:05:00 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;162473

You've attempted to converse with the OP in this thread a couple of months ago. This is what I said then:

Quote from: SunflowerP;155124
Hi, PrincessKLS,

Just so you know, this thread is over 2 1/2 years old, and the OP hasn't been back in over 2 years. Reviving the thread is okay, but don't expect the person who initially asked the question to respond, or even to see your reply.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff

The OP still hasn't been back. They have not seen your posts to them. They will not see them, much less reply, unless they come back, which after this long is unlikely.

If there is a conversation you want to have in this thread, that's fine. But you cannot have that convo with someone who isn't here. If you want to have a discussion on this thread's topic, I'd suggest phrasing your post in a way that invites people who are currently active on TC to engage with you.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2014, 02:39:52 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;23129
That is the entire concept.

Hanging this here, not directing this at you, Darkhawk.

I can't speak for the OP, but maybe zie wanted more details like "what do they believe in or practice."  Obviously, they would practice witchcraft and believe in Christianity, but perhaps more details than that.  Like, specific examples, perhaps.  

For me, I would be interested in a philosophical debate on how a practitioner of witchcraft would feel comfortable being a witch when magic is not allowed in the Bible. Of course, that would depend on what denomination you adhere to, etc.  

Also, what draws a person to witchcraft *and* Christianity.  The two seem mutually exclusive.  Why not practice one and not the other?

And the argument can't be "because they want to."  :D

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2014, 03:04:54 pm »
Quote from: Merin;163026

Why not?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2014, 03:15:28 pm »
Hanging this here, not directing this at you, Darkhawk.

I can't speak for the OP, but maybe zie wanted more details like "what do they believe in or practice."  Obviously, they would practice witchcraft and believe in Christianity, but perhaps more details than that.  Like, specific examples, perhaps.  

For me, I would be interested in a philosophical debate on how a practitioner of witchcraft would feel comfortable being a witch when magic is not allowed in the Bible. Of course, that would depend on what denomination you adhere to, etc.  

Also, what draws a person to witchcraft *and* Christianity.  The two seem mutually exclusive.  Why not practice one and not the other?

Heck, it depends on TRANSLATION.  There's argument it's "do not suffer a POISONER to live".  There are also times in the Bible when people consult those that would be considered magical practitioners by our standards.

What's the difference between a miracle and magic?  Between magic and prayer?  Between religion and witchcraft?  Sometimes it's just about where you draw the lines.

If you're asking how someone can be a Christian WICCAN, that's an entirely different thing.  But magic and Christianity?  LOOOOONG history of that.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2014, 04:01:42 pm »

Don't you think that's a bit much to ask of a board with a near-nonexistent Christian population?  I mean, I could do the research on all of the forms of traditional craft performed by Christians over the years - I've done bibs and bobs, and I do have relevant books in my library though I haven't read them - but it's not actually something anyone here is likely to have extensive knowledge of just because of being here.

The folk magic traditions that various things draw on are pretty much all Christian at some level, whether recently or not; anyone who is familiar with folk magic is thus likely reasonably aware of things that Christian witches do, because that's the stuff that Christian witches do!

(I mean, my ex's wife comes from a family line with a tradition of wart removal.  I don't think she's qualified to learn it, which she rather regrets.)

For most Christian witches it's how they were raised?  You might as well ask what draws a person to lunch and dinner.  People gotta eat.
we rise and fall

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2014, 04:13:32 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;163036
For most Christian witches it's how they were raised?  You might as well ask what draws a person to lunch and dinner.  People gotta eat.

I'm reconstructing the traditions of my hobbit ancestors and I feel very drawn to elevensies but I want to make sure I'm eating for the right reasons, you know?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2014, 02:20:20 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;163036
Don't you think that's a bit much to ask of a board with a near-nonexistent Christian population?  

*snip*

Not meaning to sound snarky, but no, I don't think it's too much to ask of this interfaith discussion forum that has a presence of Christian Witches.

I think your last few sentences hits it on the head really well.  In terms of religion, it's all food, and we gotta eat.  

IME, it was too hard to compromise.  Again, as you said, it has to do with how we are raised.  I can see a UU person molding witchcraft and Christianity very well, because of the liberal treatment of the Bible.  That's great.  I would see where a Fundmentalist Christian would have a harder time, because in their opinion, the Bible is the literal word of God and no part can be interpreted, etc.  For that person (as it was in my experience), I would feel like zie would have a much harder decision to make.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2014, 03:39:52 pm »
Quote from: Merin;163379
I would see where a Fundmentalist Christian would have a harder time, because in their opinion, the Bible is the literal word of God and no part can be interpreted, etc.  For that person (as it was in my experience), I would feel like zie would have a much harder decision to make.

In my experience, the people who practice family-line Christian witchcraft are usually from the South, where more conservative lines of Christianity predominate.  However, as I noted before, no "molding" is required to do this because it is how things work there.

These people are, however, extremely unlikely to be on a pagan board, and thus cannot actually speak for themselves here.
we rise and fall

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2014, 10:07:30 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;163385
In my experience, the people who practice family-line Christian witchcraft are usually from the South, where more conservative lines of Christianity predominate.  However, as I noted before, no "molding" is required to do this because it is how things work there.

These people are, however, extremely unlikely to be on a pagan board, and thus cannot actually speak for themselves here.

It's a very interesting topic for sure.  You've sparked for me an interest for more research.  Thanks. :)

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2014, 12:22:15 pm »
Quote from: sephira;23101
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what exactly is a Christian Witch? What does it entail?

A person that combines Christian practice and belief with Modern Witchcraft practices. The latter you can read as "modernized folk magic", because that's what "witchcraft" generally means in contemporary Paganism--and some other circles.
It's another way to phrasing "Folk Christianity". These things have been around since Christianity itself, but it's only been in the past century or so that people have referred to it as "witchcraft" under a new definition of the term.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2014, 10:39:28 am »

If I remember correctly, "witchcraft/magic" was what Others did,  what followers of God did was simply "religion/prayer/worship". So basically it was just tribal and cultural differences: if done through God=good, if in the absence of God=bad.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Tags: