Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: What is a Christian Witch?  (Read 24585 times)

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
What is a Christian Witch?
« on: September 29, 2011, 06:31:54 pm »
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what exactly is a Christian Witch? What does it entail?

I have a friend who believes she may be a Christian Witch , but we don't know if she is because we don't know what one is. Could someone please elaborate! Thanks!
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: What is a Christian Witch?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 06:38:23 pm »
Quote from: sephira;23101
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what exactly is a Christian Witch? What does it entail?

I have a friend who believes she may be a Christian Witch , but we don't know if she is because we don't know what one is. Could someone please elaborate! Thanks!

...a Christian who does witchcraft?  You don't have to be Pagan to be a witch.  There are plenty of Christian witches.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 07:20:39 pm »
Quote from: Valentine;23104
...a Christian who does witchcraft?  You don't have to be Pagan to be a witch.  There are plenty of Christian witches.

Ok, I get that, but I'm still not getting the entire concept.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:21:06 pm »
Quote from: sephira;23108

There's not much beyond that, really. There are a variety of different systems that involved Christianity and magical systems. Some involve religion IN the crafting, and some don't. If your friend is A) Christian and B) practising a magical system like witchcraft, then she can use the label "Christian witch" if it's accurate for her.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 09:06:08 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;23119
There's not much beyond that, really. There are a variety of different systems that involved Christianity and magical systems. Some involve religion IN the crafting, and some don't. If your friend is A) Christian and B) practising a magical system like witchcraft, then she can use the label "Christian witch" if it's accurate for her.

ok, that explains it better. thanks. I'll let her know.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 10:07:35 pm »
Quote from: sephira;23108

That is the entire concept.

Is someone Christian?

Do they do witchcraft?

Then bingo!  Christian witch.

Is someone not Christian?

Do they not do witchcraft?

Then they're not.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 10:32:12 pm »

I have a friend who believes she may be a Christian Witch, but we don't know if she is because we don't know what one is.

This makes little sense.  "Believes she might be a witch" is not something you ask yourself.  Either you study it and practice it or you do not.  It's not like being one is a condition of some sort.  This is like saying I think I might be a Christian but I don't know if I go to church.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 11:59:53 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;23136
This makes little sense.  "Believes she might be a witch" is not something you ask yourself.  Either you study it and practice it or you do not.  It's not like being one is a condition of some sort.  This is like saying I think I might be a Christian but I don't know if I go to church.

You're assuming that 'being a witch' = a religious component in the witchcraft/spellworking. That's not always the case.

Miss

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 12:38:38 am »

I think that's a great question. You typically think witchcraft and Christianity would clash.Christians follow the old, but mostly new testament. I would love to know interpretations of the bible that says you're allowed to practice witchcraft.I know the King James version inserted controversial translations to smear witchcraft.  Or perhaps it's just a different way of practicing that follows what people did in the old testament?

There's definitely rituals in Christianity today, a good example being Catholicism.  I've only been in a catholic home once, but they did have a sacred space that could be considered an altar of sorts.

So how precisely do Christian witches practice?  I think saying it's just simply a Christian who practices witchcraft is a poor answer. Most people are brought up in a manner where "witchcraft" and "Christian" do not mesh peacefully.

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 12:52:23 am »
Quote from: Asch;23150
You're assuming that 'being a witch' = a religious component in the witchcraft/spellworking. That's not always the case.

Nope, I wasn't trying to make that assumption, actually. ;)  I'll try to clarify myself a bit better.  I was trying to make a comparison that witchcraft is something you know you are doing (or attempting to do).  Asking yourself "I wonder if I'm a witch?" makes no sense to me.  Either you are trying to do it (or learn it) or you're not, it's not like doing witchcraft is a virus or something. ;)   Then again, I've heard of people getting addicted to do it too, but I digress..

I'm not sure I'm expressing myself correctly, so I apologize for any confusion.  Witchcraft/spellwork to me is a verb, it is something one does.  But you are very correct, faith is a separate thing, therefore a Christian can do witchcraft/spellworking, just like a Wiccan might not do any spellwork.  

I suppose we've hit the heart of the issue here though, witchcraft/spellwork and being Wiccan, Christian, or some other faith are two different things.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:54:31 am by Etheric1 »
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 01:11:29 am »
Quote from: Miss;23154
I think that's a great question. You typically think witchcraft and Christianity would clash.Christians follow the old, but mostly new testament. I would love to know interpretations of the bible that says you're allowed to practice witchcraft.I know the King James version inserted controversial translations to smear witchcraft.  Or perhaps it's just a different way of practicing that follows what people did in the old testament?

There's definitely rituals in Christianity today, a good example being Catholicism.  I've only been in a catholic home once, but they did have a sacred space that could be considered an altar of sorts.

So how precisely do Christian witches practice?  I think saying it's just simply a Christian who practices witchcraft is a poor answer. Most people are brought up in a manner where "witchcraft" and "Christian" do not mesh peacefully.

Thanks Miss! You know you explained it perfectly without really explaining it. I guess what we were really trying to ask is how can you take one religion  that is monotheistic and mesh it with a religion that is polytheistic? I understand the whole doing spells bit, but that still didn't answer the question of how can you reconcile being both a Christian and a Witch.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:13:02 am by sephira »

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 01:26:15 am »
Quote from: sephira;23161
Thanks Miss! You know you explained it perfectly without really explaining it. I guess what we were really trying to ask is how can you take one religion  that is monotheistic and mesh it with a religion that is polytheistic? I understand the whole doing spells bit, but that still didn't answer the question of how can you reconcile being both a Christian and a Witch.

It sounds like you're conflating Wiccan and Witch. Being a witch, doing magic, etc does not require any religions framework, a person could be atheist or agnostic and still engage in witchcraft.

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 01:58:40 am »
Quote from: Asch;23164
It sounds like you're conflating Wiccan and Witch. Being a witch, doing magic, etc does not require any religions framework, a person could be atheist or agnostic and still engage in witchcraft.

Not only that, but you can practice religious witchcraft within Christianity. I do know some Christian Witches. They believe that all their 'magical abilities' as it were, come from God.

Asch is perfectly correct though. Religion is not actually required to be a Witch. Any religion can be followed and incorporated into a person's practice of Witchcraft, but it isn't a compulsory part.
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 06:50:38 am »
Quote from: Dark Midnight;23167
Not only that, but you can practice religious witchcraft within Christianity. I do know some Christian Witches. They believe that all their 'magical abilities' as it were, come from God.

There are also other approaches to magical work that are not witchcraft, that are also quite compatible with many forms of Christianity. Witchcraft isn't the only way to do magic - it's just a commonly known one.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 07:51:39 am »
Quote from: Jenett;23178
There are also other approaches to magical work that are not witchcraft, that are also quite compatible with many forms of Christianity. Witchcraft isn't the only way to do magic - it's just a commonly known one.

Thanks all!  We certainly have a lot to ponder on!

Tags: