Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: I had some questions regarding a bind rune I've been working on.  (Read 1272 times)

Úlfhéðinn

• View Profile
Hey everyone!  I'm currently going through a bit of a personal re-creation...  I've been doing a ton of research, and meditation; trying to find my true self and what calls to me.  Along the process I've been working on documenting this, and putting together my own personal "sacred book" of sorts; something that I can always look back to when I need guidance, or strength, or a reminder of who I am.  I was hoping for your help...

I've been being pulled very heavily into the worlds of both Celtic and Viking paganism (no doubt due to my bloodlines on both my mother and father's side being Gaelic and Norse).  As such, I'm trying to create a bind rune for myself that is essentially a manifestation/representation of my character -- as my personal symbol and guide.  I know these are often used temporarily and then destroyed later, but I want this to be my own kind of spiritual signature so this will be of a more permanent nature.  This is what I've come up with:  

http://imgur.com/a/4NSZG

In order to incorporate the Kenaz on the left into the Tiwaz; I kind of had to drop the angle of the left side of the Tiwaz symbol. Does this effect the larger message? I haven't found anything that says that the runes need to be perfectly symmetrical, but is that the case?

Outside of that, I am curious as to your thoughts towards the end-product overall? I know there are a lot of you on here that are much more knowledgable than I on this.  While I am aware of some additional runes that appear throughout this (I see these as kind of complimentary), is anything jumping out to you that might be of concern?

Thanks for your time!

===========
EDIT: I see that this image for some reason uploaded sideways.  I'll provide an imgur link instead.
===========
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 06:26:02 pm by Úlfhéðinn »

Abigail

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: I had some questions regarding a bind rune I've been working on.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 08:03:56 pm »
Quote from: Úlfhéðinn;205649
As such, I'm trying to create a bind rune for myself that is essentially a manifestation/representation of my character -- as my personal symbol and guide.  I know these are often used temporarily and then destroyed later, but I want this to be my own kind of spiritual signature so this will be of a more permanent nature.  

As far as I know bind runes do not have an expiry date nor do they need to be destroyed. There are actually some very old ones that still excist today.
That and runes historically just being a system of writing I see no reason why there would be any issue with it being a permanent one for you.

In order to incorporate the Kenaz on the left into the Tiwaz; I kind of had to drop the angle of the left side of the Tiwaz symbol. Does this effect the larger message? I haven't found anything that says that the runes need to be perfectly symmetrical, but is that the case?  

If you see pictures of stones and carvings of runes on items still left from the times the runes were in use, you'll see they are not always perfectly aligned either. Your handwriting will differ from mine, however, we can both read each others words without issues. We use the same alfabet, but our allignment in letters differ.
So I would not worry about that.

Outside of that, I am curious as to your thoughts towards the end-product overall? I know there are a lot of you on here that are much more knowledgable than I on this.  While I am aware of some additional runes that appear throughout this (I see these as kind of complimentary), is anything jumping out to you that might be of concern?

Our meaning for the rune Thuriaz is different, I know it as Giant, so meaning force instead, asin force in battle etc.

I like the fact that I can see Berkana and Raidho in it, so birth and journey, quite symbolic for what you described as the process you are in!
As for concerns, I am not seeing any, someone else may have better input.

Thank you for sharing it with us!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:04:38 pm by Abigail »

Úlfhéðinn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 08:20:11 pm »
Thank you so much for your reply!  I sincerely appreciate every point you've made.

Quote from: Abigail;205650
 Our meaning for the rune Thuriaz is different, I know it as Giant, so meaning force instead, asin force in battle etc.

I totally get that!  I understand this to literally translate into that as well; however, during my initial studies into the runes, I came to accept this as willpower/inner strength for Thurisaz as it was so heavily associated to Thor, his lighting, and his explosive spirit.  The more I continued reading into it, the more I kept coming back to this.  I guess I like to see Ansuz, Thurisaz, and Uruz working in harmony to symbolize the 3 primary strengths (Mind, Body, Spirit).

Thoughts?  Is it considered wrong for someone to take a bit of liberty with a rune's meanings?

I like the fact that I can see Berkana and Raidho in it, so birth and journey, quite symbolic for what you described as the process you are in!

Precisely my thoughts as well!  I felt that the rune really came together for me, and then I saw those hidden in there as well and got me very excited.  Before I committed fully to it though, I wanted to get some second opinions to be safe (I'm still early on in my rune knowledge).

Thank you for sharing it with us!

Absolutely!  Thank YOU for taking the time to look over it for me! :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:21:33 pm by Úlfhéðinn »

Abigail

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 06:00:56 pm »
Quote from: Úlfhéðinn;205652
I totally get that!  I understand this to literally translate into that as well; however, during my initial studies into the runes, I came to accept this as willpower/inner strength for Thurisaz as it was so heavily associated to Thor, his lighting, and his explosive spirit.  The more I continued reading into it, the more I kept coming back to this.  I guess I like to see Ansuz, Thurisaz, and Uruz working in harmony to symbolize the 3 primary strengths (Mind, Body, Spirit).

Thoughts?  Is it considered wrong for someone to take a bit of liberty with a rune's meanings?

Warning: Wall of text coming!

If you look at old Norse the meaning was þurs, which was the word for the jætte (Jötunn), so the giants. þ later evolved into "th", except for in Iceland where the letter is still used as far as I know. I'm assuming that it evolved into "th" because it sounds as that/close to that when pronounced. Hence it also being known as "Thurs".

I think the reason people now equate it to Thor is because of the sound "Thurs" and the day we now know as Thursday, which is Thor's day. Hence people equate Thur standing for Thor. However in old Norse Thursday was written as  þórsdagr, Thor being witten as Þórr.
þórsdagr itself went through it's own language evolution over the years and hence Thursday. But the original þurs had little resemblence language wise to Þórr (Thor).

Whether you would be ok with being liberal about it I guess would depend on your path and that alone. If you look at it from a -language evolves, meanings evolve- perspective it grew into what it is, and evolution isn't a bad thing.
Both rune meanings and uses evolved a lot and a lot of people are using them with their more "modern" meanings and uses and have succes with them, so that is fully up to you. It is your "name"!

For willpower I would personally probably pick Uruz, Ox, I know it stands for strength, but I know oxes to be dang strong willed as well :p
With in old Norse the U-rune being úr: rain, rain being water+air elements wise that would be my pick.
You already have that in there anyway so if you'd follow my meanings basically Thurisaz (Giants being strong/force) and Uruz would be interchanged meaningwise from the meanings you have for them, the bind rune staying the same. That's kinda awesome in it's own way too!

Omg so sorry for the wall of text haha, I just picked up on reading old norse again and I have been thinking about using runes on a belt I am making so...  

Quote from: Úlfhéðinn;205652
Precisely my thoughts as well!  I felt that the rune really came together for me, and then I saw those hidden in there as well and got me very excited.  
Yes! I can imagine, finding those in there even made me smile, amazing isn't it, you work on something for a while, step back and look at your work, and you find a hidden treasure!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:03:15 pm by Abigail »

Úlfhéðinn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 08:41:27 pm »
Quote from: Abigail;205683
Warning: Wall of text coming!

If you look at old Norse the meaning was þurs, which was the word for the jætte (Jötunn), so the giants. þ later evolved into "th", except for in Iceland where the letter is still used as far as I know. I'm assuming that it evolved into "th" because it sounds as that/close to that when pronounced. Hence it also being known as "Thurs".

I think the reason people now equate it to Thor is because of the sound "Thurs" and the day we now know as Thursday, which is Thor's day. Hence people equate Thur standing for Thor. However in old Norse Thursday was written as  þórsdagr, Thor being witten as Þórr.
þórsdagr itself went through it's own language evolution over the years and hence Thursday. But the original þurs had little resemblence language wise to Þórr (Thor).

Whether you would be ok with being liberal about it I guess would depend on your path and that alone. If you look at it from a -language evolves, meanings evolve- perspective it grew into what it is, and evolution isn't a bad thing.
Both rune meanings and uses evolved a lot and a lot of people are using them with their more "modern" meanings and uses and have succes with them, so that is fully up to you. It is your "name"!

Thank you very much for this insight!

For willpower I would personally probably pick Uruz, Ox, I know it stands for strength, but I know oxes to be dang strong willed as well :p
With in old Norse the U-rune being úr: rain, rain being water+air elements wise that would be my pick.
You already have that in there anyway so if you'd follow my meanings basically Thurisaz (Giants being strong/force) and Uruz would be interchanged meaningwise from the meanings you have for them, the bind rune staying the same. That's kinda awesome in it's own way too!

Hmmm, perhaps I should in fact reflect on this one a bit more.  I do also like having the direct visual reference to Thor with the rune Thurisaz.  Thor (This probably isn't much of a surprise) is symbolic in a large way in whom I am to carve myself into.  I guess my thought was that if the literal meaning was Giant, and it was also associated to Thor -- this then made this rune somehow symbolic of his lighting spirit, and his raw/elemental power; since it was this power that was integral in his continued victory in his ongoing warring with the Giants.

Omg so sorry for the wall of text haha, I just picked up on reading old norse again and I have been thinking about using runes on a belt I am making so...  

Absolutely do not apologize for being excited and thorough.  I appreciate every second of effort you spent typing it all out.

..you work on something for a while, step back and look at your work, and you find a hidden treasure!

Beautiful thing, eh?  :)

Something

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 05:03:30 pm »
Hey everyone!  I'm currently going through a bit of a personal re-creation...  I've been doing a ton of research, and meditation; trying to find my true self and what calls to me.  Along the process I've been working on documenting this, and putting together my own personal "sacred book" of sorts; something that I can always look back to when I need guidance, or strength, or a reminder of who I am.  I was hoping for your help...

I've been being pulled very heavily into the worlds of both Celtic and Viking paganism (no doubt due to my bloodlines on both my mother and father's side being Gaelic and Norse).  As such, I'm trying to create a bind rune for myself that is essentially a manifestation/representation of my character -- as my personal symbol and guide.  I know these are often used temporarily and then destroyed later, but I want this to be my own kind of spiritual signature so this will be of a more permanent nature.  This is what I've come up with:  

http://imgur.com/a/4NSZG

Thanks for your time!

===========
EDIT: I see that this image for some reason uploaded sideways.  I'll provide an imgur link instead.
===========

A blank rune was also known as odins rune, you can look at it in a few ways, some say it's a rune to let you know that something requires more thought, but as it was known as odins rune some say it's a knowledge rune meaning use your own knowledge... my runes are made of  yew wood as they are sacred to my partner, and I personally use the blank or odins rune to let myself know to use my own knowledge for the answer... as for shape I would keep it the same as the others.. Good work though it's great to see someone taking it seriously.... whatever you feel drawn to will work I'm sure..

Tags: