Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: How should/does Hinduism interpret Satan and Satanism?  (Read 2395 times)

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
How should/does Hinduism interpret Satan and Satanism?
« on: April 25, 2017, 07:19:30 pm »
I have a question, primary for anyone else interested in Indian religions: How should, or do, Hindus interpret the mythical figure of Satan as presented in Abrahamic regions? Or as presented by Satanism? I have seen Hindus discuss and interpret Jesus, Angels, Yahweh, and other western figures, but have never seen Hindus talk about the devil. I find that very interesting since Hinduism has no true equivalent. Anybody have any prior experience or knowledge about how Hindus view Satan/Lucifer/The Devil? How they interpret Abrahamic myths and stories involving him?

Discuss!
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: How should/does Hinduism interpret Satan and Satanism?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 01:26:42 pm »
Quote from: EnderDragonFire;205499
I have a question, primary for anyone else interested in Indian religions: How should, or do, Hindus interpret the mythical figure of Satan as presented in Abrahamic regions? ... have never seen Hindus talk about the devil. I find that very interesting since Hinduism has no true equivalent

You are right. Satan is irrelevant and non-existent in Hinduism. Satan is not even acknowledged as existing. The concept of evil in Hinduism is completely different than that of the west. There isn't a concept of good and evil in Hinduism equivalent to that of Abrahamic religions.

In Hinduism there is dharma: right way or action, order, law. It's opposite is adharma. No entity, except the jeeva itself (the essence of what we are, soul, mind, body) is the source of good or bad behavior based on karma (which is more than "paybacks are a [-----]" or cause-and-effect) and the jeeva's guna (qualities, attributes that may or may not change through rebirths).

Lumpino

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:35:49 am »
I have a question, primary for anyone else interested in Indian religions: How should, or do, Hindus interpret the mythical figure of Satan as presented in Abrahamic regions? Or as presented by Satanism? I have seen Hindus discuss and interpret Jesus, Angels, Yahweh, and other western figures, but have never seen Hindus talk about the devil. ........

Discuss!

Hinduists have gods and demons. The gods rule the heavens, the demons of the underworld. They are stepbrothers, have one father and different mothers.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 10:35:17 am »
Hinduists have gods and demons. The gods rule the heavens, the demons of the underworld. They are stepbrothers, have one father and different mothers.

That's not the full picture or even entirely true. Demons in Hindus are not the same as demons in western religions. The word demon as it's used for Hindu beings is a mistranslation. Demons are a race of beings, demi-gods, some of whom are evil, some of whom are good. They were created by Brahmā. They have the same tendencies as humans. The proper word is rākṣasa (raakshasa, rākṣasī, raakshasee for females). Famous "demons" are the evil Hiranyakashipu whom Vishnu in his man-lion avatar Narasimha killed in defense of Hiranyakashipu's virtuous and devoted son Prahlāda. For his devotion and virtue Vishnu crowned Prahlāda mahārāja of the kingdom. Another famous evil rākṣasa was Rāvana, who was killed by Rāma for terrorizing the world, not to mention having kidnapped Sītā. Vibhishana was Rāvana's virtuous younger brother who fought alongside Rāma to overthrow Rāvana and end his tyrannical reign.

Lumpino

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 03:21:08 am »
That's not the full picture or even entirely true. Demons in Hindus are not the same as demons in western religions. The word demon as it's used for Hindu beings is a mistranslation. Demons are a race of beings, demi-gods, some of whom are evil, some of whom are good. They were created by Brahmā. They have the same tendencies as humans. The proper word is rākṣasa (raakshasa, rākṣasī, raakshasee for females). Famous "demons" are the evil Hiranyakashipu whom Vishnu in his man-lion avatar Narasimha killed in defense of Hiranyakashipu's virtuous and devoted son Prahlāda. For his devotion and virtue Vishnu crowned Prahlāda mahārāja of the kingdom. Another famous evil rākṣasa was Rāvana, who was killed by Rāma for terrorizing the world, not to mention having kidnapped Sītā. Vibhishana was Rāvana's virtuous younger brother who fought alongside Rāma to overthrow Rāvana and end his tyrannical reign.

I think it is a more bit complicatetd. Hindu religion have many different demons. Asuras, Daitias (Children  goddes Diti and Kashyapa, Gods are Children Aditi and Kashypa  :P) and Danavas (Children goddess Danu), they live in seven underworlds, next Raksashas- night demons - one of them is in Tibetan myths mother of Mankind (Brag srin mo), Pishacas, Bhutas ... and many others.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 12:53:08 pm »
I think it is a more bit complicatetd. Hindu religion have many different demons. Asuras, Daitias (Children  goddes Diti and Kashyapa, Gods are Children Aditi and Kashypa  :P) and Danavas (Children goddess Danu), they live in seven underworlds, next Raksashas- night demons - one of them is in Tibetan myths mother of Mankind (Brag srin mo), Pishacas, Bhutas ... and many others.

None of those can be accurately translated into "Demon" though. Demon is an Abrahamic term, derived from an ancient Greek term (Daemon) and neither of them are part of Hinduism.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Tags: