Author Topic: Olwen?  (Read 1009 times)

Shadowstar

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Olwen?
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:42:34 pm »
What can anyone tell me about Olwen?  From my research I have found that she is a Welsh Goddess.  I read the mythology about her and her husband and father. I also know that she is a Goddess of flowers and nature.

Does anyone have any other sources on her that I can research?  Apparently, she is my Goddess.  Long story there, but I would like to find out more about her.
What is the "Riddle of Steel?"

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Olwen?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 12:10:31 am »
Quote from: Shadowstar;205314
What can anyone tell me about Olwen?  From my research I have found that she is a Welsh Goddess.  I read the mythology about her and her husband and father. I also know that she is a Goddess of flowers and nature.

Does anyone have any other sources on her that I can research?  Apparently, she is my Goddess.  Long story there, but I would like to find out more about her.

As Olwen lives in that fuzzy Celtic land of "maybe goddess, maybe important non-goddess" that sooooooo many Celtic deities and demigods exist in (Cerridwen is a better known example; she thwapped me early on, but she was originally human and got elevated to god-status much later), and the only major source for her is the Mabinogion, what you do will probably be largely UPG.

I'd start by doing some very generic offerings (light a candle, give her some bread, wine, milk, etc.), meditating on her aspects in the Mabinogion, and seeing what happens. Keep a journal. It's hard sort of inventing a practice, but it can work.

I mean, I work with the ever popular Brigid, and yet my UPG of her is NOT what you see in any popular images (she appears to me when I meditate as a friendly middle-aged plump woman in denim overalls with a wonderful sense of humor; no quantity of lovely sexy goddess paintings can shake that). Don't worry too much about getting it "right". If she wants to be in your life, she'll tell you how.

That being said, finding out what other people are doing can be immensely helpful. If you do a search of the discussion boards for her name, you might find more.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 09:14:56 am »
Quote from: Shadowstar;205314

I assume you've read  the Mabinogion? The medieval Welsh  is hard to translate to English whilst keeping the essence of the original. If you've only read the Charlotte Guest version then try and get hold of some of the other translations. Later ones are more accurate but can be a bit dry but Sioned Davies one walks the tightrope of being an accurate translation whilst keeping the romance and poetry of the original. You may pick up a few new insights into Olwen.

Shadowstar

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 11:54:22 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;205316
As Olwen lives in that fuzzy Celtic land of "maybe goddess, maybe important non-goddess" that sooooooo many Celtic deities and demigods exist in (Cerridwen is a better known example; she thwapped me early on, but she was originally human and got elevated to god-status much later), and the only major source for her is the Mabinogion, what you do will probably be largely UPG.

I'd start by doing some very generic offerings (light a candle, give her some bread, wine, milk, etc.), meditating on her aspects in the Mabinogion, and seeing what happens. Keep a journal. It's hard sort of inventing a practice, but it can work.

I mean, I work with the ever popular Brigid, and yet my UPG of her is NOT what you see in any popular images (she appears to me when I meditate as a friendly middle-aged plump woman in denim overalls with a wonderful sense of humor; no quantity of lovely sexy goddess paintings can shake that). Don't worry too much about getting it "right". If she wants to be in your life, she'll tell you how.

That being said, finding out what other people are doing can be immensely helpful. If you do a search of the discussion boards for her name, you might find more.

Very true in all you say, which is why I asked.  I have meditated on her and she has communed with me and continues to do so regularly.  I'll try a thread search and see if anyone else has information on her.  

As for me, I don't know why she is my Goddess.  She just came to me one day while I was meditating.  It took me quite a while to even figure out her name.  Then once I figured that out, research on her is so limited.  Yet I won't deny she is there and she is my Goddess.  I somehow just feel it.  I have done an offering to her and have felt closer since.  Some bad things have happened in my life recently, but she has helped me through them.  

I believe she will continue and she gives me advice as things hit me in life.  For now,  I'll keep believing in her.  I feel a peace when I commune with her that is hard to explain.

Thank you for your reply.

Shadowstar

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 11:58:39 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;205331
I assume you've read  the Mabinogion? The medieval Welsh  is hard to translate to English whilst keeping the essence of the original. If you've only read the Charlotte Guest version then try and get hold of some of the other translations. Later ones are more accurate but can be a bit dry but Sioned Davies one walks the tightrope of being an accurate translation whilst keeping the romance and poetry of the original. You may pick up a few new insights into Olwen.

I have not read the Mabinogion, but I will now.  Thank you for the advice of keeping close to the original source.  I'll see what I can glean from the Sioned Davies version.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:59:18 pm by Shadowstar »

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 120
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal