Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Finding Direction  (Read 952 times)

ObsidianFenix

• View Profile
Finding Direction
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:31:05 pm »
Hi all! My name is Kendra and I was looking for some insight on what to do next in my worship.

I have always been drawn to the Irish/Celtic deities. So I have started my alter and done a simple dedication rite. I have done most of my research and learning on my own. I am now to a point where I have read so much that it has become a little overwhelming. I mean that in the most positive way!

I am strongly drawn to the triple goddesses. Morrigan seems to be a strong force when i have meditated. But I am just unsure where to go from here (Offerings, rituals, Ect.)

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome and appreciated. The idea of learning more and talking to others about what I have learned is very exciting. And I do apologize for the some what lengthy post.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Finding Direction
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 01:04:53 pm »
Quote from: ObsidianFenix;205254

I have always been drawn to the Irish/Celtic deities. So I have started my alter and done a simple dedication rite. I have done most of my research and learning on my own. I am now to a point where I have read so much that it has become a little overwhelming. I mean that in the most positive way!

I am strongly drawn to the triple goddesses. Morrigan seems to be a strong force when i have meditated. But I am just unsure where to go from here (Offerings, rituals, Ect.)

Hi there!

It's a little hard to make suggestions without having an idea about what kinds of practices you might be interested (or approach). For example, people can be very interested in Celtic deities, but honour them in a Celtic reconstructionist approach, a Druidic approach, a religious witchcraft approach, a more eclectic (mix) of approaches, or probably some other options that aren't spring to mind right now.

Each of those is going to have some different ideas about how to go about doing it.

Things like offerings and rituals are also going to depend both on your larger approach and on things specific to you.

Some people do daily prayers and small offerings. Some people make offerings by working on things a deity they honour values (that's what I do with M'Lady, who I honour and work with - she's decidedly not Celtic). Some people do formal rituals less frequently, and don't do small regular offerings. Some people do both smaller regular (dailyish) offerings and big rituals. Some only do a couple of big rituals a year, others might do ritual at Sabbats (8 times a year) and full or new moons, or both (13 of each in a year.)

Starting simple is probably a good idea: certainly, don't make commitments about doing anything complex for a long time (I advise anyone building a relationship with a deity to make short term commitments - 3 months, 6 months, then a year at a time for a couple of years before doing something long term, and to be really careful about any commitment to do things a certain way or a certain frequency if it's not something you could do in a hospital room or in an airport or in a hotel room or while helping with a family emergency.

(Which is to say "3 minutes of time and only requires a glass of water" is a lot more flexible a practice if and when life happens than "must have these six items, be able to light incense, and be quiet for at least 15 minutes." If you want to do the more complicated things as part of a practice, go for it, just don't make commitments about doing it long-term for extended periods if you're like most of us and have work / family / physical health issues come up sometimes.)  

If you'd like some ideas on what I do, I have a (fairly extensive) website up about intro religious witchcraft practices, which includes various pages on how to tie things together, some ideas for building a practice when you're starting, etc.

For daily practice ideas from an eclectic religious witchcraft perspective, I really like Dianne Sylvan's book The Circle Within for ideas.

If you want ideas for other kinds of practice, asking about specific questions you have, or what you're interested in particularly will probably help more people respond.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

ObsidianFenix

• View Profile
Re: Finding Direction
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 09:07:03 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;205298
Hi there!

If you'd like some ideas on what I do, I have a (fairly extensive) website up about intro religious witchcraft practices, which includes various pages on how to tie things together, some ideas for building a practice when you're starting, etc.

For daily practice ideas from an eclectic religious witchcraft perspective, I really like Dianne Sylvan's book The Circle Within for ideas.

If you want ideas for other kinds of practice, asking about specific questions you have, or what you're interested in particularly will probably help more people respond.

The resources you have provided are very helpful. And your website helps a lot as well. If I had stumbled upon it sooner I might have had an easier time expressing my thoughts. You have given me a lot to look into and think about which was the goal!

I feel I am still not quite sure yet on what I'm interested in. Like the title I'm looking for direction. I am gonna take some time to reflect and hopefully get a better idea of where I am headed. I am sure I will have plenty more questions but now I can try to make them more specific as you stated.

Even with my vague thread you where able to give me some great answers. Thank you for your response and the much needed info! :)

Tags: