24 Apr 2017 @ 09:36 PM
    Country
    Netherlands
    Religion
    natural magick

DNA ancestry test?

Has anyone done a DNA ancestry test?

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Initiatory religious witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Re: DNA ancestry test?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerys53 View Post
    I did 23andme in, I think, 2013. (It was while they were still doing the initial round of medical reports, but not terribly long - maybe six months - before they stopped doing them. They've reintroduced some of them now.)

It didn't turn up anything terribly surprising, and for me, it's not terribly useful for one of the things I was curious about (if you have Ashkenazi Jewish heritage, you will turn up as a 3rd or 4th cousin to a huge number of people you are not actually that closely related to: we have two sets of possible lines of blood relatives we lost touch with c. the 2nd World War on that side that I'd love to find out more about but it's very unlikely we're going to spot them given that.)

On the other hand, I found some of the other information very helpful (my sister's also done it, and she and I were talking about how we both changed some of our caffeine consumption because we both react more strongly to it, for example.)
    Limen: Thoughts from a Threshold (my blog) :: http://gleewood.org/threshold
    Seeking (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism) :: http://gleewood.org/seeking

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Chatelaine will become famous soon enough Chatelaine's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:54 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox Christian

I want one! I'm aware of ancestry from all four UK nations, plus Jewish, but I can't help wondering what else might have been mixed in there before we started keeping track.
    'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
    ~St Augustine~
    Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Initiatory religious witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Chatelaine View Post
    I want one! I'm aware of ancestry from all four UK nations, plus Jewish, but I can't help wondering what else might have been mixed in there before we started keeping track.
    If you're interested, I should note that normally they're not precise enough for which UK nation. To give an idea of the groupings, I have:

- "Northwestern European" (broken down into "British & Irish", "French & German", and "Broadly Northwestern European")
    - "Ashkenazi Jewish"
    - "Eastern European" (not broken down further, at least in my case)
    - "Southern European (broken down into "Balkan" and "Broadly Southern European")

Ah, just discovered the 'look at all possible groups' - East Asian for example includes Japanese, Korean, Yakut, Mongolian, Chinese, and Broadly East Asian, but Southeast Asian doesn't separate out yet.)

It's possible a later generation of the test or other versions of tests might be more detailed, but I think we're still mostly at "not enough reliable data sets to be certain" unless you are talking about very genetically distinctive groups.

Part of the issue is that people's self-reported information about heritage is sometimes accurate but sometimes not, so you need a fair amount of data to be sure a particular thing is actually linked. (Adoptions, people with a different biological parent than they know about, people obscuring portions of their family history, etc.)
    Limen: Thoughts from a Threshold (my blog) :: http://gleewood.org/threshold
    Seeking (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism) :: http://gleewood.org/seeking

Apprentice Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Cinder is on a distinguished road Cinder's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic polytheist
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

My mother and brother both had one done and we have plans to buy one for me (as the only biological descendent of my deceased father, whose ancestry was supposedly very Italian).

My mother actually found a half sister she knew nothing about. It was quite emotional for her.

As for their general ancestry, we figured out we were wrong about a lot of things we thought. I'm itching to have mine done and see what influence my father has

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredThree Friends
    Jainarayan is on a distinguished road Jainarayan's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hinduism
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

I used 23andMe in 2015. I was mildly surprised at the results, especially of my father's line. Being Sicilian, our Y DNA haplogroup is T1a1a, which originated somewhere around the Red Sea or Near East area about 25,000 years ago. My mtDNA is HV4, from the Caucasus area about 30,000 years ago. Though I am of Italian and Sicilian descent, the rest of my DNA has some origins in northern Europe: the British Isles, North Sea, Baltic area. I suspected my family has northern European ancestry, as many Italians and Sicilians have.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ
    Vishnu's appearance is Shiva; Shiva's appearance is Vishnu
    Vishnu is the heart of Shiva; Shiva is the heart of Vishnu - The Yajurveda

"Anyone can pray to the Gods in whatever manner he likes." - Sveinbjörn Beinteinsson

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Nic an Dair is on a distinguished road Nic an Dair's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pantheistic Celtic/Neo-Druidic influenced Pagan, Clann Bhride
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

I haven't, but my mother had one done by Ancestry . com, and we want to get one for my father, too. It was still pretty generic, but the one from 23andme.com seems more detailed from what I see in this thread, even if it is still somewhat generic as well. I find it interesting that they're able to determine the age of certain haplogroups.
    Last edited by Nic an Dair; 20 Apr 2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Put a couple spaces in the accidentally created hyperlink.

Journeyman Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Pickle is on a distinguished road Pickle's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:32 PM
    Country
    England
    Religion
    Solitary neo-druid
    Pronouns
    She/her

I'm hoping that Which will eventually complete a comparison of the different ones which seem to be becoming available now, as I'd like to get it done but only once I know I'll be getting reasonable value for money.
    Last edited by Pickle; 23 Apr 2017 at 02:14 AM. Reason: formatting

+ Reply to Thread