Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Family: DNA ancestry test?  (Read 1707 times)

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
DNA ancestry test?
« on: April 20, 2017, 05:12:10 am »
Has anyone done a DNA ancestry test?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:11:26 pm by RandallS »

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: DNA ancestry test?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:09:06 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;205208

I did 23andme in, I think, 2013. (It was while they were still doing the initial round of medical reports, but not terribly long - maybe six months - before they stopped doing them. They've reintroduced some of them now.)

It didn't turn up anything terribly surprising, and for me, it's not terribly useful for one of the things I was curious about (if you have Ashkenazi Jewish heritage, you will turn up as a 3rd or 4th cousin to a huge number of people you are not actually that closely related to: we have two sets of possible lines of blood relatives we lost touch with c. the 2nd World War on that side that I'd love to find out more about but it's very unlikely we're going to spot them given that.)

On the other hand, I found some of the other information very helpful (my sister's also done it, and she and I were talking about how we both changed some of our caffeine consumption because we both react more strongly to it, for example.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 08:11:35 am »

I want one! I'm aware of ancestry from all four UK nations, plus Jewish, but I can't help wondering what else might have been mixed in there before we started keeping track.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:23:06 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;205220
I want one! I'm aware of ancestry from all four UK nations, plus Jewish, but I can't help wondering what else might have been mixed in there before we started keeping track.

If you're interested, I should note that normally they're not precise enough for which UK nation. To give an idea of the groupings, I have:

- "Northwestern European" (broken down into "British & Irish", "French & German", and "Broadly Northwestern European")
- "Ashkenazi Jewish"
- "Eastern European" (not broken down further, at least in my case)
- "Southern European (broken down into "Balkan" and "Broadly Southern European")

Ah, just discovered the 'look at all possible groups' - East Asian for example includes Japanese, Korean, Yakut, Mongolian, Chinese, and Broadly East Asian, but Southeast Asian doesn't separate out yet.)

It's possible a later generation of the test or other versions of tests might be more detailed, but I think we're still mostly at "not enough reliable data sets to be certain" unless you are talking about very genetically distinctive groups.

Part of the issue is that people's self-reported information about heritage is sometimes accurate but sometimes not, so you need a fair amount of data to be sure a particular thing is actually linked. (Adoptions, people with a different biological parent than they know about, people obscuring portions of their family history, etc.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Cinder

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 10:27:58 am »

My mother and brother both had one done and we have plans to buy one for me (as the only biological descendent of my deceased father, whose ancestry was supposedly very Italian).

My mother actually found a half sister she knew nothing about. It was quite emotional for her.

As for their general ancestry, we figured out we were wrong about a lot of things we thought. I'm itching to have mine done and see what influence my father has :)

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 11:39:48 am »

I used 23andMe in 2015. I was mildly surprised at the results, especially of my father's line. Being Sicilian, our Y DNA haplogroup is T1a1a, which originated somewhere around the Red Sea or Near East area about 25,000 years ago. My mtDNA is HV4, from the Caucasus area about 30,000 years ago. Though I am of Italian and Sicilian descent, the rest of my DNA has some origins in northern Europe: the British Isles, North Sea, Baltic area. I suspected my family has northern European ancestry, as many Italians and Sicilians have.

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 12:48:47 pm »

I haven't, but my mother had one done by Ancestry . com, and we want to get one for my father, too. It was still pretty generic, but the one from 23andme.com seems more detailed from what I see in this thread, even if it is still somewhat generic as well. I find it interesting that they're able to determine the age of certain haplogroups.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:49:56 pm by Nic an Dair »

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 03:14:04 am »

I'm hoping that Which will eventually complete a comparison of the different ones which seem to be becoming available now, as I'd like to get it done but only once I know I'll be getting reasonable value for money.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:14:24 am by Pickle »
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags: