Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Health: Dementia Friends  (Read 1394 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Dementia Friends
« on: April 12, 2017, 01:02:05 pm »
Today at work I became a Dementia Friend (attended an awareness raising session about this/these disease/s) and pledged to raise awareness & spread the word.

There's meant to be a website for an organisation called DEEP that's quite good but I've been unable to find it just now to link it - will do so when I get a chance.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:39:45 pm by RandallS »
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Re: Dementia Friends
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 04:36:43 pm »
Quote from: Pickle;204865
There's meant to be a website for an organisation called DEEP

Okay, I must've gotten that completely wrong, as I've been totally unable to find that site/organisation.  Alzheimer's Association is probably also a good source for information relating to that particular disease: http://www.alz.org.  (Though I personally choose not to donate funds to organisations which conduct animal research.)

Anyway, some of the key messages from the awareness raising session were that dementia is not a natural part of aging, and that it's possible to live well with dementia.  Coverage of this disease tends to be rather negative in nature, with a certain amount of stigma, and yet I still didn't realise until today that there are thought to be around 200 different types of dementia!  (And that it's actually not possible to definitively diagnose someone's dementia type until a post mortem/autopsy.)

I hope some of you who read this post will take the time to read a bit more about dementia, and then be in a position to help support those in your communities suffering with dementia/their relatives.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 06:21:27 pm »
Quote from: Pickle;204872
(And that it's actually not possible to definitively diagnose someone's dementia type until a post mortem/autopsy.)

Case in point: https://qz.com/798443/robin-williams-suffered-from-dementia-with-lewy-bodies-a-widely-under-diagnosed-condition/
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 06:34:51 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;204877
Case in point: https://qz.com/798443/robin-williams-suffered-from-dementia-with-lewy-bodies-a-widely-under-diagnosed-condition/

That is a shame I used to think stars knew everything from how they speak but they are just as vulnerable as the rest of society. a lot of these illnesses could be taken care of much sooner especially with the mind. to stop people going out of there mind is a simple concept that could be taught to the masses.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 06:42:28 pm »
Quote from: sevensons;204878
That is a shame I used to think stars knew everything from how they speak but they are just as vulnerable as the rest of society.

Welcome to adulthood.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 09:47:24 pm »
Quote from: sevensons;204878
That is a shame I used to think stars knew everything from how they speak but they are just as vulnerable as the rest of society. a lot of these illnesses could be taken care of much sooner especially with the mind. to stop people going out of there mind is a simple concept that could be taught to the masses.

Given that it was just stated that it can only be definitively diagnosed post-mortem, I think you might want to hitch your white light healing wagon to a different horse.

Either that or you're allowing countless people and their families to suffer because you're not working to prove and teach your One Simple Trick...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 02:14:17 am »
Quote from: Jack;204884
Given that it was just stated that it can only be definitively diagnosed post-mortem, I think you might want to hitch your white light healing wagon to a different horse.

Either that or you're allowing countless people and their families to suffer because you're not working to prove and teach your One Simple Trick...

Life is a game there would be consequences in giving out the answer. the first step in life is to realise that anything is possible in this world. if you start to get involved in the game it is lethal. for some reason it must remain a secret I haven't yet realised why it should be a secret I can guess why but it seems to extreme. it has took me 12 years to learn to defend myself daily due to there being no obvious set mandate. once you learn the concept you are changed into a better human being if you can work out to get out of the state of being you have been put under. the light is shined go search it out.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 02:34:32 am »
Quote from: sevensons;204886
Life is a game there would be consequences in giving out the answer. the first step in life is to realise that anything is possible in this world. if you start to get involved in the game it is lethal. for some reason it must remain a secret I haven't yet realised why it should be a secret I can guess why but it seems to extreme. it has took me 12 years to learn to defend myself daily due to there being no obvious set mandate. once you learn the concept you are changed into a better human being if you can work out to get out of the state of being you have been put under. the light is shined go search it out.
Aw shit, I just lost the Game.

"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 02:36:32 am »
Quote from: Pickle;204865
Today at work I became a Dementia Friend (attended an awareness raising session about this/these disease/s) and pledged to raise awareness & spread the word.

There's meant to be a website for an organisation called DEEP that's quite good but I've been unable to find it just now to link it - will do so when I get a chance.
Okay but seriously, this sounds pretty excellent. Alzheimers runs in my family so I try to keep up on research in the field, but it amazes me how little a lot of people know about dementia in general.

Tags: