Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Humor/Quiz: Say again, please?  (Read 1525 times)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Say again, please?
« on: April 11, 2017, 08:20:41 am »
Intended for things which at first blush seem unremarkable but, upon further thought, turn out to be less than kosher. In this case, literally.

Inspired by an ad which just played on the radio offering an Easter special on Honeybaked Hams. Just like any other of the thousands of ads which play every day, until you think....

Just what is the propriety of offering ham on sale on a religious holiday which traces its lineage directly to the Jewish Passover...?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:59:11 am by RandallS »
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Say again, please?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:29:46 am »
Quote from: ehbowen;204821
Just what is the propriety of offering ham on sale on a religious holiday which traces its lineage directly to the Jewish Passover...?

What's inappropriate about that? Christianity moved away from kosher laws around day two.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 10:18:02 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;204823
What's inappropriate about that? Christianity moved away from kosher laws around day two.

Are those biblical days or actual human days. :p
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 10:40:58 am »
Quote from: Vixen;204824
Are those biblical days or actual human days. :p

NT days. As in '...or thereabouts'. :p
~St Augustine~

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 11:24:42 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;204823

Oh, I'm not saying it should be illegal or anything. It just struck me as, ultimately, very incongruous, considering the lineage of the holiday.

I've had ham on Easter before, and I'm sure I will again. But it's commercially offering the ham on special in connection with the holiday which drew the raised eyebrow.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 11:25:22 am by ehbowen »
--------Eric H. Bowen
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 11:41:31 am »
Quote from: ehbowen;204827
Oh, I'm not saying it should be illegal or anything. It just struck me as, ultimately, very incongruous, considering the lineage of the holiday.

I've had ham on Easter before, and I'm sure I will again. But it's commercially offering the ham on special in connection with the holiday which drew the raised eyebrow.

Well, that's a connection very few would make, so yay for being observant, I guess?
~St Augustine~

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 12:20:43 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;204828
Well, that's a connection very few would make, so yay for being observant, I guess?

I mean, given that -- regardless of Easter's Jewish roots -- it is also the second night of Pesach tonight I guess one could raise an objection to it; but unless they were running the promotion in a way which specifically mentioned Passover I don't really see anything remarkable about it. Easter Ham is kind of a thing soooooo.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 02:03:11 pm »
Quote from: ehbowen;204821

I was wondering if it was linked to doing Explicitly Not Jewish things in areas where there had been a lot of Jewish persecution and theoretical conversions. (i.e. in Spain and later Spanish Mexico, there were a lot of food traditions around demonstrating you were not Jewish and were eating foods Jewish people would not eat, especially on specific holidays following the expulsion of the Jews in 1492.)

In reality, it appears that in the US, at least, it's because we as a culture eat a lot less lamb, and those are (agriculturally speaking) the two feast foods most available in the spring. (Poultry hasn't grown up yet, neither has beef. Ham requires an adult animal, but also aging and is preserved to last the winter. Lambs are, well, lambs.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 03:28:58 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;204834
I was wondering if it was linked to doing Explicitly Not Jewish things in areas where there had been a lot of Jewish persecution and theoretical conversions. (i.e. in Spain and later Spanish Mexico, there were a lot of food traditions around demonstrating you were not Jewish and were eating foods Jewish people would not eat, especially on specific holidays following the expulsion of the Jews in 1492.)

While I'm not denying the unpleasant reality of that historical fact, I do think...or at least hope...that Christian believers in general and in this society specifically have moven past the point where we have to prove We're Not Jewish. I personally embrace the Jewish heritage of my faith; while I don't practice the Jewish customs I do respect them and the promises which were made to Abraham, Isaac and Israel and their descendants.

But...c'mon, folks, lighten up a bit! This is the humor forum, after all! I posted it because I thought it incongruous and just a bit funny...not to open a can of worms!

[Sorry if I've come too close to the mod line...:eek:]
--------Eric H. Bowen

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 11:56:40 pm »
Quote from: ehbowen;204835
[Sorry if I've come too close to the mod line...:eek:]

If you think to apologise ahead of time, doesn't it usually means you're doing something you know you shouldn't?

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 01:10:05 am »
Quote from: Emma Eldritch;204847
If you think to apologise ahead of time, doesn't it usually means you're doing something you know you shouldn't?
Eh, I know I sure love being told to care less about things. Just like being told to calm down solves any anger or upset I'm feeling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 02:50:59 am »
Quote from: ehbowen;204835
But...c'mon, folks, lighten up a bit! This is the humor forum, after all! I posted it because I thought it incongruous and just a bit funny...not to open a can of worms!

Eric, I say this with love, but your observation was neither incongruous nor funny. If you were to entertain a group of laughing babies and then inform them that a ham company was running a promotion during Holy Week, the laughter would be physically sucked back into their bodies. An Azerbaijani translation of John Toland's Adolf Hitler: The Definitive Biography would have exactly the same comedic heft as your OP. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing -- some things just aren't that funny and that's okay -- but given the complete lack of humour we had to find a different way to approach it. And most of the responders chose to approach it from an objective historical and/or religious viewpoint because, well, that's just the kind of place TC is.

IDK man, I feel you're either overestimating your joke, misjudging your audience, or possibly both.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Tags: