"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Intention setting - what does yours look like?  (Read 2033 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Intention setting - what does yours look like?
« on: April 10, 2017, 02:30:16 pm »
So I've been attempting some research lately, and keep coming across the concept of intention setting, but have yet to come across any particular definitions.

So I wondered, what does your intention setting 'look' like?

Is it done in general terms, or does it involve specific goals?  Or does that vary?  Do you set different intentions for each day or mostly the same one day after day?  Or, again, does it vary according to what's going on for you in life at the time?  Do you have different periods which you do intention setting for at the same time, e.g. daily intention/s plus an intention (or intentions) for the whole year?  Would anyone care to give some examples of some of their previous or current intentions?

Interested to hear other people's outlooks on this, and examples would be good (but I won't be offended if people don't feel comfortable sharing those).
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
Re: Intention setting - what does yours look like?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 03:33:15 pm »
Quote from: Pickle;204802
So I've been attempting some research lately, and keep coming across the concept of intention setting, but have yet to come across any particular definitions.

Is it done in general terms, or does it involve specific goals?  Or does that vary?  Do you set different intentions for each day or mostly the same one day after day?  Or, again, does it vary according to what's going on for you in life at the time?  Do you have different periods which you do intention setting for at the same time, e.g. daily intention/s plus an intention (or intentions) for the whole year?  Would anyone care to give some examples of some of their previous or current intentions?

Interested to hear other people's outlooks on this, and examples would be good (but I won't be offended if people don't feel comfortable sharing those).

It's not a concept I've come across but if you mean planning then that isn't something I tend to do - I'm more of a do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done, sort of person.  I do have one daily ritual but it's as habitual as cleaning my teeth.

Any attempt to forward plan usually fails as I forget about it - I will finish that witch bottle this dark moon I've been telling myself for the last 6 months. It is pretty much assembled; I just need to add the boiling urine, seal and place in the chimney but I keep forgetting to do it when the correct date arrives. I probably need to set myself a reminder on my phone and hope nothing clashes which is what often happens

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 04:28:53 pm »
So I've been attempting some research lately, and keep coming across the concept of intention setting, but have yet to come across any particular definitions..

Finding out what is making the world tick across to a new day to find life's secret gift. then putting into practice if able with jewellery. I tend to wear mainly symmetrical jewellery which I change around midnight. anything from an arrow to a cross.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 09:38:19 pm »

So for me intention setting is basically -- each year I have an intention for my life, I set it, and then nothing happens because I did nothing else but set the intention.

This year I decided to be a bit more proactive -- set the intention, changed all my passwords to reflect it, started doing magic towards it, and created a bunch of vision/manifestation boards towards it in my planner.

I blogged about my planner/manifestation board here at my Barefoot blog.

Since that post I've done an April title page, a May title page, and the beginnings of a June title page. I'm really trying to get the whole thing done soon actually, though I am running low on crafting tape.

The main reason behind doing vision boards is to remind myself on a daily basis what I'm working towards. Desire by itself isn't enough to change things or bring what I want into fruition; I need to work towards it. The reminders help me do that work. It's also good for my mental health. I tend to get really bogged down in day to day survival, and it's depressing as hell. So seeing these pictures to remind me that I can have a better future helps.

The mini vision boards in the planner are for various, different things, though they add up to the big one.

The magic I haven't talked about in detail very much but I've been doing it on big holidays and it still adds up to that one goal/intention. And on top of this, I'm working my ass off in the mundane world to try and actually make it happen.

I've also started doing a project called Moon Magick where I do magic on each phase of the moon (so, once every seven days) and some of those spells are also geared towards my year's intention.

I hope that answered your question? I'm recovering from spinal injury flare up so I'm not entirely sure if I'm very coherent right now.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 10:20:49 pm »

Daily / weekly:

That'd be my todo list.

I did a post on my blog in January talking about a new organisational approach I was taking with it (roughly astrological) that I am still liking a lot because it lets me keep a balance in what I'm doing.

A lot of 'what I get done today' depends on what questions come in at work and my general state of health and focus, and both parts mean I have to be flexible and not fixed about an intention beyond 'do a good job at work' and then a bunch of 'this is stuff I'd like to make progress on' tasks in my personal life (plus a few essentials like appointments or daily essentials like food and sleep.)

Depending on what's going on in a given day, I may pick jewelry (not obviously religious but personally meaningful), perfume (I have a fairly large BPAL collection), clothing (I mostly wear fairly similar things - nice knit shirt and skirt - but I'll pick colors for a specific goal or that day's need), but I do that kind of really deliberate thing maybe every couple of weeks on average.

Ritually:
The wheel of the year I practice involves setting a long-term goal in the spring, growing it over the year, bringing it to some sort of harvest, and the reflecting on in the dark of the year, so, basically, I do that.

This year I experimented with having a 'word of the year' thing, which in my case turned into a thing that had a convenient symbol, and so that symbol (with some other background) is the background of my phone, so I see it every time I do something on the phone.

Specific things:
For things longer than the todo list tasks and shorter than a year, I often do things like:
- Set my password the next time I have to change it at work to something that reminds me of that goal or intention

- Set my computer desktop to something that reminds me.

- Create a playlist of music that creates the emotion I want for that intention.

- Sometimes I will do artwork (usually symbol design, simple sketches, and words, in combination.) I do them with Inktense watercolor pencils, and activate them by going over them with a brush dipped in water.

(I do one of these as part of a specific ritual in my tradtion - it's not a formal part of the ritual, but I like doing it that way and it stands in well for conversation I'd be having at that point in the ritual if I were doing it with other people. Whether I put it up to look at varies.)

For other things to read, there's a chapter in Marion Weinstein's Positive Magic that is about words of power, that is very good on how to phrase intentions, especially ones you want to use as a regular meditation device.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 08:04:07 am »

This year I am doing a whole new thing with intentions.  Typically speaking, I set intentions when I want to work on something.  I do like intention statements, so I often use those.  For example, if I want an intention to go along with working out, I may use something like:  I feel great in my body.

I also use intentions as part of my daily practice.  For me, this is a combination of intention and shielding, my intentions form part of my personal protection.  Some of my daily intentions are:  "My feet take me where I need to be, and protect me from harm along the way."  "I have the strength to do what is necessary, and the will to do what is right."  "My mind questions all that is."

This year, I am doing a lot more with intentions it seems.  I have a word of the year, which is an intention, but less about what I want to do and more about what I want to call into my life.  My word for the year is Harmony, and it is in my calendar as well as part of my year long art journaling.

I am also adding weekly focus and daily intentions in my calendar.  The weekly focus tends to be just a single word.  This week it's 'adjust'....last week son was off school, this week hubby is off work, and he is swapping from nights to days, and a large part of our regular social life is going through a huge change, so I need that reminder to roll with all these changes and adapt.  

Daily intentions tend to be much more specific, and can be a short phrase.  Today's is:  Be the Priestess.  I am helping officiate a handfasting, which will be a first for me, so I am a bit nervous about it.  So my intention helps remind me that I can do this, and that I can be confident and capable with it.

I am also towards the end of a 30 day manifesting challenge, and we set intentions as part of that.  These were definitely more goal oriented intentions.  So my overall intention for the manifesting challenge was to attract more Patrons to my Patreon account.  Then I set three specific affirmations for that:  "I have wonderful Patrons who support me."  "My Patreon posts generate amazing, deep, personal conversations" and "I earn money for myself and my family."

So I do a little bit of everything when it comes to intentions.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 07:47:19 am »
Thanks for the replies, all.

Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;204803
I'm more of a do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done, sort of person.

I feel like this is how I am at present, or it's how I imagine I am, but the result is that nothing gets done as in reality I tend to keep putting things off and then leaving myself insufficient time, plus I'll be unprepared/disorganised about stuff &, consequentially, ineffectual.

Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;204803
Any attempt to forward plan usually fails as I forget about it

Quote from: Morag;204810
So for me intention setting is basically -- each year I have an intention for my life, I set it, and then nothing happens because I did nothing else but set the intention.

There is a danger of this happening, definitely.

The main reason behind doing vision boards is to remind myself on a daily basis what I'm working towards.

Good idea.

I hope that answered your question? I'm recovering from spinal injury flare up so I'm not entirely sure if I'm very coherent right now.

Really helpful reply, thank you - hope your injury flare up is settling down now.

Quote from: Jenett;204811
A lot of 'what I get done today' depends on what questions come in at work and my general state of health and focus

I'm in a similar position, too.  Your wheel of the year approach makes really good sense - I also like the 'word of the year' idea.

I've come across your descriptions of your artwork in at least one other thread and think it's a useful idea.

Thanks for the book recommendation, too.

Quote from: Kylara;204820
I also use intentions as part of my daily practice.

I'm taken by your intention statements, and especially by your short phrases approach - this feels like something I could incorporate quite easily.

Thanks again, all!
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 02:54:26 pm »

This made me laugh, because that is some brutal honesty there, Morag.

I've also started doing a project called Moon Magick where I do magic on each phase of the moon (so, once every seven days) and some of those spells are also geared towards my year's intention.

I like the sound of this project - it seems like a good timetable that isn't overwhelming.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 07:52:31 pm by Darkhawk »

Something

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 03:50:25 pm »

Never heard of that term to be honest, intention is basically what you hope to accomplish with your actions..
Whether it's through work, discussion, magick ect...
Regarding intention for spiritual or magical work I basically concentrate on what I want to happen and why before the ritual, how long I do this depends on how much energy is needed... blessed kisses to all

Tags: