collapse

Author Topic: Understanding Deities Beyond Their Popular Attributions  (Read 3917 times)

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
Re: Understanding Deities Beyond Their Popular Attributions
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 08:47:50 pm »
Quote from: Demophon;205012
I didn't say she was necessarily gentle, or that agriculture was a later addition. As the personification of the mystery of the life-death cycles, she's can't be all sweetness and light...

So, something I thought I'd bring up here, in addition to my other comments above...

As I said in my first comment to this thread, Theoi tend to be pretty complicated when it comes to identity; they often overlap and share aspects--for instance, Artemis, Athene, and the Kore were often treated as a similar grouping of holy maiden goddesses. Demeter in particular belongs to a cluster of Theia associated with motherhood, fertility, and the life/death cycles of nature and humanity: Persephone and Demeter were obviously heavily intertwined and sometimes syncretized as simply "the Goddesses," but occasionally you also saw Rhea associated with Demeter as well.

Rhea, as a Titaness, is a more primal, wild force than any Olympian; she was also particularly revered as "the mother of the gods." She has a number of the same associations as Demeter: motherhood, earth-based fertility (as opposed to the heavenly/ouranic fertility symbolized by Aphrodite), and natural law. Her name has a dual meaning: flow, as in the natural flow of the ordered cosmos (and therefore the cycles of life and death); and ease, as in "the gods who live at their ease" (a phrase often used in the epics). This latter meaning specifies a wonderful, utopian existence free of mortal cares and worries: an everlasting paradise of natural bounty.

There is little to nothing agricultural about Rhea; she is often described in poems as maenadic in behavior, and there are myths of her healing and nurturing the wild god Dionysos. She is heavily syncretized with the more Eastern Kybele, also considered a kind of wild mother fertility god.

The conception of Demeter you've been describing is much easier for me to relate to the historical Rhea, mountain-mother of the gods, than to Demeter, the giver of the grain.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 07:08:30 pm »
Quote from: Tom;205025
...I literally don't understand why you think that settlement aided by agriculture inherently encourages competition over cooperation because being able to settle and farm actually opens up a lot more time for you to get know your neighbors and form communities that can provide a form of stability to one's life that would also encourage other artistic pursuits and cultural exchange. I would think roving bands of hunter gatherers would be more likely to feel like they were in competition with other bands whereas a community of farmers would be able to stockpile their food and feel less threatened by other groups of people because they had a surplus, and as a result may actually be more welcoming of strangers as they are less of a threat.

I think it's entirely possible to have a egalitarian society that is based on agriculture tbh.

I'm just now reading a book that discusses this sort of thing: Paleofantasy by Marlene Zuk. I'm not all the way through yet and it spends more time discussing Paleo lifestyle fads and evo psych, but at one point there is mentioned a study on causes of death in the archaeological record. Apparently the ratio of death by weapons (ie violence between humans) was very high in prehistoric times.

The study in question (which I'm referring to at third hand here, so pass the salt) suggested that simply living in larger groups, as made possible with agriculture, would favor people with more cooperative natures within the group, which would then lead to less violence between groups. Not sure if I support this hypothesis myself, but it seems plausible.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 10:22:05 pm »
Quote from: Eastling;205028
The conception of Demeter you've been describing is much easier for me to relate to the historical Rhea, mountain-mother of the gods, than to Demeter, the giver of the grain.

Thanks, that's a really good point.

Quote from: Eastling;205019
"I get my spirituality from nature and biology" is a valid point of view, but it seems very odd to apply it specifically to a Hellenic goddess as a reason to discount her central historical attributes. Of course, if that's your UPG for Demeter, that's how it goes and I wouldn't try to convert you to a different view, but you posted here saying that it's the true way to understand her and that agriculture is an undesirable pop-culture addition that does not reflect her real nature.

I don't really disagree with you, but I guess my phrasing was poor when it came to describing agriculture as an "addition" to Demeter's realm of influence, but it's hard to be succinct in these forum posts and get one's point across. What I was trying to say is that, in my opinion, Demeter at her core represents thy mystery of the cycles of life and death. Agriculture definitely depends on these cycles, so I can see why it is closely connected with her, but I personally prefer to focus on the more broad theme of the mysteries of life and death in relation to this goddess.

I think I also mentioned Hera is a previous post, and I have similar issues with her as a goddess of marriage. While I acknowledge that this is a significant aspect of her historical worship, it's something I struggle with, as marriage is a patriarchal institution in which women are treated like property. I personally prefer to see her as a goddess of women, and females of all creatures, as well as the female reproductive powers in nature. It's my preference, I'm not saying I have the true Gospel when it comes to the Hellenic goddesses.

As for the connection between agriculture/civilization/violence/patriarchy, I found the argument expressed in Sex at Dawn by Dr Christopher Ryan to be very convincing, but I'm not an expert.

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 12:00:25 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;205060
I'm just now reading a book that discusses this sort of thing: Paleofantasy by Marlene Zuk. I'm not all the way through yet and it spends more time discussing Paleo lifestyle fads and evo psych, but at one point there is mentioned a study on causes of death in the archaeological record. Apparently the ratio of death by weapons (ie violence between humans) was very high in prehistoric times.

The study in question (which I'm referring to at third hand here, so pass the salt) suggested that simply living in larger groups, as made possible with agriculture, would favor people with more cooperative natures within the group, which would then lead to less violence between groups. Not sure if I support this hypothesis myself, but it seems plausible.

I've read the book myself. It's been a few years, but it was pretty enjoyable. I think the best take away from it was that there's no such thing as a person being "perfectly" evolved for a particular environment and that we're far more adaptable than some will give humanity credit for.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 06:31:50 pm »
Quote from: Demophon;205192
I think I also mentioned Hera is a previous post, and I have similar issues with her as a goddess of marriage. While I acknowledge that this is a significant aspect of her historical worship, it's something I struggle with, as marriage is a patriarchal institution in which women are treated like property. I personally prefer to see her as a goddess of women, and females of all creatures, as well as the female reproductive powers in nature. It's my preference, I'm not saying I have the true Gospel when it comes to the Hellenic goddesses.

As for the connection between agriculture/civilization/violence/patriarchy, I found the argument expressed in Sex at Dawn by Dr Christopher Ryan to be very convincing, but I'm not an expert.

Surely though, this is dependent on the history of a particular culture and its value system, and may not be representative of all such cultures at all such times. Plus, associations between values and social systems can be ... confusing and contested at the best of times. And honestly, I don't know enough about early Hellenic religion to make such judgements.

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 05:23:06 pm »
Quote from: Demophon;205192

I admit I'm a little taken aback at how much you take for granted that things that have been used in patriarchal institutions over the course of human history can't have value outside of that.

Marriage has been used to make women the property of men, it's true. It's also been used as a way to help affirm the value of a stable and supportive family in society. The push for same-sex marriage in recent years and the happiness of couples now able to marry for the first time goes some way towards showing that.

I tend to think of Hera's role as marriage-goddess in that context. She's villainized by the myths of a society that valued cismale sexual sovereignty above all else, but she governs stable, socially beneficial romantic relationships and their power to perpetuate a just and beneficial society, especially from women's perspectives.

In this aspect I tend to associate her with Demeter, who is also frequently treated as Zeus's consort in many myths and has similar connections with positive social order.

In general, it's probably a bad idea to look at an aspect of a deity and decide that because it has some bad sides it can't possibly really be a significant part of their nature, it must have been added on "incorrectly" later by Christianization or "later patriarchal society." I suspect that's a way to miss out on really understanding them.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 10:44:57 pm »
Quote from: Eastling;205648
Marriage has been used to make women the property of men, it's true. It's also been used as a way to help affirm the value of a stable and supportive family in society. The push for same-sex marriage in recent years and the happiness of couples now able to marry for the first time goes some way towards showing that.

Well, the purpose of marriage as an institution is to produce legitimate children in the father's lineage in societies that use a system of patrilineal descent. Once again, I'm not an expert, but as far as I know, societies that use a matrilineal system of descent, in which lineage is traced through the mother, the concept of marriage is pretty irrelevant. The brother of the mother is the male guardian of the children, not the biological father, and the women can take whatever lovers they choose.

I'm not saying marriage is always terrible, and it's definitely changed a lot in the western world in the past century, but in an ancient Greek context, marriage was very much a property transaction and a woman's duty was to produce legitimate children for her husband, referred to as "kyrios" (lord), the male head of the household. Same-sex marriage would have been a completely foreign concept to this structure, and Hera's traditional associations do not really reflect an equal romantic partnership. She better represents "unbulled" virginity prior to marriage, and the "yoked" married woman whose primary role was to be a fertile mother. Judgments of "patriarchy" aside, in a modern context, I would rather focus on her more "natural" aspects of the feminine reproductive powers of nature, rather than some of her ancient societal functions as the bride of Zeus who rules over virginity, production of legitimate heirs, and fidelity to one's philandering husband.

Quote from: Eastling;205648
In general, it's probably a bad idea to look at an aspect of a deity and decide that because it has some bad sides it can't possibly really be a significant part of their nature, it must have been added on "incorrectly" later by Christianization or "later patriarchal society." I suspect that's a way to miss out on really understanding them.

I thought I said several times that I was talking about my own understanding and the way I personally approach a deity, not about what is correct and incorrect. I guess I can't get away with using the word patriarchy without my words being spun to make me out to being a hysterical bra-burner. I don't even recall saying anything about Christianization at all, but apparently I've been automatically lumped into that group of people who think evil, patriarchal Christianity is to blame for everything in society. Considering I am a practicing Christian, I wonder how I manage to hold that world view.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 12:22:55 am »
Quote from: Demophon;205656
Well, the purpose of marriage as an institution is to produce legitimate children in the father's lineage in societies that use a system of patrilineal descent. Once again, I'm not an expert, but as far as I know, societies that use a matrilineal system of descent, in which lineage is traced through the mother, the concept of marriage is pretty irrelevant. The brother of the mother is the male guardian of the children, not the biological father, and the women can take whatever lovers they choose.

I'm not so sure. There are many cultures that are both matrilineal and bilineal, but still have marriage as a very important social institution. Of course, many do allow for divorce, but that is also true in many patrilineal cultures ....

I thought I said several times that I was talking about my own understanding and the way I personally approach a deity, not about what is correct and incorrect. I guess I can't get away with using the word patriarchy without my words being spun to make me out to being a hysterical bra-burner. I don't even recall saying anything about Christianization at all, but apparently I've been automatically lumped into that group of people who think evil, patriarchal Christianity is to blame for everything in society. Considering I am a practicing Christian, I wonder how I manage to hold that world view.

The problem with terms like 'patriarchy' is that they can be very reductive. This is especially problematic when applied to ancient and non-western cultures as it can ignore the historical context and the perspective of the people themselves. Saying that something in 'patriarchal' doesn't actually tell anyone anything.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2017, 11:02:24 am »
Quote from: Demophon;205656
I guess I can't get away with using the word patriarchy without my words being spun to make me out to being a hysterical bra-burner.

Perhaps what people are trying to convey to you is more along the lines of, 'Don't teach your grandmother to burn bras?'

I gotta say, I've been wondering all through this thread what you've been reading - besides Sex at Dawn which doesn't seem to fully explain it. Perhaps Shulamith Firestone?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

vassal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 08:01:05 am »
Quote from: Eastling;205019
"I get my spirituality from nature and biology" is a valid point of view, but it seems very odd to apply it specifically to a Hellenic goddess as a reason to discount her central historical attributes. Of course, if that's your UPG for Demeter, that's how it goes and I wouldn't try to convert you to a different view, but you posted here saying that it's the true way to understand her and that agriculture is an undesirable pop-culture addition that does not reflect her real nature.

Which is demonstrably untrue. As I pointed out upthread, we have no textual source on Demeter that predates her association with agriculture.

"Agriculture and civilization were a harmful disruption of our natural hunter-gatherer ways" is a common belief. It's also totally unsupported logically and scientifically. Yes, human beings spent a long time living as hunter-gatherers (although there's more and more evidence for agricultural developments in societies we usually think of as Noble Savages purely based in hunting and gathering--in many times and places in history there was no single agricultural revolution, but a more complicated series of steps into farming). That doesn't mean it's the best way for us to live.

You know what is is super new on planet Earth, relatively speaking? Complex multicellular life. Prokaryotes ruled with an iron fist for billions of years; eukaryotes only showed up in the past few hundreds of millions of years. I don't think this means we'd be better off going back into the sea, even if things were simpler then (and even if the Eleusinian Mysteries do require a cleansing in the sea).

Every goddess was reduced to shallow misogynist stereotypes in some myths, because ancient Greece was a patriarchal culture.

Personally, I very much doubt that Aphrodite's sexual associations came solely from her strong Ancient Near Eastern connections as a Greek counterpart to Ishtar or Astarte. My own research strongly suggests that the Eastern connection was absorbed into an existing complex of Hellenic Powers perhaps derived from Minoan Crete (not that we're likely to ever know for sure on that count); take a look at the festivals of Ariadne-Aphrodite on Amathus (one of the primary seats of Aphrodite's worship) for some ideas on this.

You're very right that Hellenic society was horrifically patriarchal--to be honest, that's a gentle word for it. The societal erasure of women's stories, as well as the social sanctioning of forced marriage for many teenage girls (which often led to their death in childbirth) was borderline gynocidal. It was also deeply interwoven with the fabric of Hellenic life.

One of the major reasons I work with Hellenic Powers is this: they have existed amidst--and been a touchstone for--some of the worst gendered oppression we know of in human history. I work from the assumption that gods, like people, learn from their experiences. I figure they're likely to know a thing or two that could be useful today, in our increasingly globalized but still misogynist society.

I really adored this conversation. Thank you.

I'm a worshipper of a goddess. She hasn't said a name but all signs point to love & auspiciousness. I've had the most breakthrough by  having moved east through west, I too see the eastern universal devi reflected in the Cyprus-borne Goddess. That's probably born of my own drift in the seas of cultural loss/syncretization.

I do not like discounting the authentic strength which comes from a traditional practice. I just can't connect. I find as I learn of the multiplicity of the divine & her willingness to take any form, I am willing to freely interpret Aphrodite as a manifestation of Devi, of the woman in humanity, the womb of the earth & cosmos. I don't feel I demean her  but strengthen her many aspects of love within myself. Venus epithets in Rome recall to me a separate but parallel concept in The Mahavidyas. Ten aspects of the one great goddess.

I realize parallels imply connection but isn't logic the very thing that breaks down connections to better understand the structure while it is the mystic within that finds a connection where none was to be found? That's magic for me ��

Anyway loved all of this. I believe the expression of desire, reflected in beauty, is terrifying, awe-inspiring, and incapable ultimately in being tamed by the more logical portion of us appeasing her. She only grants boons in my experience. Perhaps I'm limited lol!!��
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 08:06:43 am by vassal »

Tags: