Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Reading is good - talking even better (?)  (Read 3926 times)

Shewhoseeks

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Reading is good - talking even better (?)
« on: April 07, 2017, 06:21:41 am »
Hi, I am wondering why the silence.

I have been looking for a way to have contact with more kemetics, because I really feel isolated where I live.

In Germany there is no acceptable platform for communication I could find due to lack of activity or ppl having left there.
Same seems to be the case here (concerning activity).

Hence my question if I am missing on something. It has taken me a lot of courage to go out and look for kindred in faith - especially as I consider myself totally inexperienced and lacking feedback on what I do (or don't do) and I catch myself having doubts if it was the right thing to do or if I should keep to myself.

Anyway I hope also it was not wrong to write this, if it is feel free to delete it please (or I'll do it).

For any guidance/reply I am grateful. Thanks :)

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: Reading is good - talking even better (?)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 09:16:40 am »
Quote from: Shewhoseeks;204725

I have been looking for a way to have contact with more kemetics, because I really feel isolated where I live.

In Germany there is no acceptable platform for communication I could find due to lack of activity or ppl having left there.
Same seems to be the case here (concerning activity).

Hence my question if I am missing on something. It has taken me a lot of courage to go out and look for kindred in faith - especially as I consider myself totally inexperienced and lacking feedback on what I do (or don't do) and I catch myself having doubts if it was the right thing to do or if I should keep to myself.

Anyway I hope also it was not wrong to write this, if it is feel free to delete it please (or I'll do it).

For any guidance/reply I am grateful. Thanks :)

It is a bit quiet here, yeah, and the tumblr Kemetic crowd can be a bit intimidating if you're new. Kemetics are sort of spread all over the place, so there isn't really one good place to go to find people who might be willing to chat with you, particularly if you're not attached to a temple, either, which makes it hard.

But no one's stopping you from asking questions here. We can't offer advice if we don't know what you need help with. We were all beginners once. Feel free to talk about what you've been doing so far, and what you want feedback on, and we'll do our best to help out where we can.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Darkhawk

• View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 09:55:43 am »
Quote from: Shewhoseeks;204725

'Cos we don't have much to talk about, honestly.  I'm pants at starting threads.

Aside from around here, there's Per Akhet forums, which is Kemetic-specific, and which doesn't fall prey to the derangement of the tumblr crowd (I do not follow tags on tumblr but from what I've seen, augh).

http://perakhet.com/forum/index.php#c1

There's a chance, though, that you can help me with something:  I'm working in the background on writing a Kemetic 101 type book.  I think I've got a good sense of what needs to go in it, but since you're new, you can probably answer: what sort of things would you really wish you could find in a basic guidebook?
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Shewhoseeks

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 04:56:15 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;204727
It is a bit quiet here, yeah, and the tumblr Kemetic crowd can be a bit intimidating if you're new. Kemetics are sort of spread all over the place, so there isn't really one good place to go to find people who might be willing to chat with you, particularly if you're not attached to a temple, either, which makes it hard.

But no one's stopping you from asking questions here. We can't offer advice if we don't know what you need help with. We were all beginners once. Feel free to talk about what you've been doing so far, and what you want feedback on, and we'll do our best to help out where we can.

Hi, yes, tumblr is a bit intimidating indeed, but I like the life going on there ;)

Well, that is true. On the other side I have to know first what to ask. And hmm some things I am a bit shy (?) to post so publicly. Faith is a personal thing touching often things deep in me. So hmm.. But I will try my best. Thx !

Shewhoseeks

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 05:30:49 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;204728
'Cos we don't have much to talk about, honestly.  I'm pants at starting threads.

Ohhh I know what you mean - not easy for me either.

Aside from around here, there's Per Akhet forums, which is Kemetic-specific, and which doesn't fall prey to the derangement of the tumblr crowd (I do not follow tags on tumblr but from what I've seen, augh).

http://perakhet.com/forum/index.php#c1

Oh, thanks for the link! Been browsing and reading through that forum and will register there. Good vibes there (at least better than the last German forum I visited :whis: ).

There's a chance, though, that you can help me with something:  I'm working in the background on writing a Kemetic 101 type book.  I think I've got a good sense of what needs to go in it, but since you're new, you can probably answer: what sort of things would you really wish you could find in a basic guidebook?

I would be happy to help. A complete beginner I am concerning practice and rituals - concerning historical and mythological stuff not that much, as I have always loved Ancient Egypt and Antiquity. Also I realized by going through Tumblr and PerAkhet, that many of the few things I am doing right now were in the right direction already - probably all that reading and looking at wall decorations from temples and tombs for so long.

Anyway thinking about what I would love to know first as a newbie:

1. Ancient Egyptian religious year and highlights (well, after all religious practice was tied to the cycles of nature/crops and so on). There is the problem of us having 4 seasons here and no flood. There are some ressources online concerning this, but I am expected to start doing calculations concerning when Sirius is rising again after those 70 days it stays below the horizon. Then I am wondering if to do those calculations for the place I live in, for the place I was born or for the sepat of the deity I mainly worship (in this case Djehuty and Hatmehyt (as soon as I manage to reconnect properly with her).

2. Meaning of my birthday - and that may depend on for where I do my calculations for New Year ....

3. Having set that bigger frame I am concerned about how to properly set up my shrine. I have been helping myself with a placeholder til I have a proper statue for it. But I have been pondering if I need a priest to perform a ceremony for my statue to host the god it depicts ...
Also wondering about the properness of using a sistrum for ceremonial purposes concerning Djehuty - got the impression it is a rather female godess instrument - am I wrong? Feels right for Hatmehyt tho.

4. Akhu shrine: This is difficcult. Not every ancestor is benevolent - I am a bit scared of installing that shrine and taking care of all my ancestors. Are there any things to consider?

5. A well curated list of books and ressources. I found one at the site of the House of Netjer, which was a start - the rest I did research myself (got a really huge to read list of books, mainly historical ones) I am not that much into new age stuff or similar. I love solidity. There is also a German site which is quite comprehensive and helped me at the start well (satmaat.wordpress).

6. Which time period? Ancient Egypt covers a huge timespan. Depending on which kingdom religious practices vary - syncretism is more or less pronounced ...  There may be more or less information available.

7. Ritual/Prayer instruction. At least some examples. In the end when I pray I will use what I find in my books and add what comes from my heart, but a bit of starting help would be welcome. Also how small can a ritual be (f.ex. when I am in a hurry - the time we live in does at times not leave much room). How about emphasizing certain events? We have the phases of the moon, solstice, equinox ... Kemetism being so focused on the sun (and a tad on the moon) would not forego those events, would it?

Hmm no more questions for now. Hope I did not swamp you in them :D:

Thanks and see you!

Darkhawk

• View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 05:58:31 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts!  I'll incorporate them into the work. :)

Quote from: Shewhoseeks;204741
3. Having set that bigger frame I am concerned about how to properly set up my shrine. I have been helping myself with a placeholder til I have a proper statue for it. But I have been pondering if I need a priest to perform a ceremony for my statue to host the god it depicts ...

This oen I can answer for you:  an embodied statue is priest-level work.  You do not need to have an open statue, and frankly I recommend against it unless you are seeking to serve as a priest.  (And modern priests, well, have minimal support structure, so that's a serious, serious commitment to consider.)

Also wondering about the properness of using a sistrum for ceremonial purposes concerning Djehuty - got the impression it is a rather female godess instrument - am I wrong? Feels right for Hatmehyt tho.

IIRC the sistrum was primarily used to soothe the occasionally touchy Eye goddesses.  Might be extrapolated to goddesses in general?  Though Hatmehyt is given as Heru-sa-Aset's mother in some texts, which may make her an Eye by extrapolation.

May comment more on other questions in a bit!  Short on brains right now.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 06:24:21 pm »
I'm working in the background on writing a Kemetic 101 type book.  I think I've got a good sense of what needs to go in it, but since you're new, you can probably answer: what sort of things would you really wish you could find in a basic guidebook?

Not that new, but I'll throw out some ideas.

- Short rituals. (Eternal Egypt is a great book, but I do not have the wherewithal to recite 10-page ritual scripts.)
- One thing I have been trying to find is a list of which offerings are taboo to which gods. I remember seeing one once online, but it seems to have vanished.
- Some good, messy execration rituals. This is an aspect of Kemeticism that doesn't have much of an equivalent in wicca-ish paganism (at least, not that I know of), plus they're fun.
- Symbolism glossaries for colors, numbers etc. that aren't Hermetic-influenced. Plus, how to use symbols, since this comes up a lot in Kemetic practices.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 06:33:57 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;204744
- Some good, messy execration rituals. This is an aspect of Kemeticism that doesn't have much of an equivalent in wicca-ish paganism (at least, not that I know of), plus they're fun.

Sticking my nose in here on this one, to note that they're fun *and* worth including! (They're part of our ritual group's seasonal cycle due to the resident Kemetic, and one of my favorite parts.)

There's some similar stuff in some strands of folk witchcraft, but it's definitely a thing people don't do as much of as you'd think.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Shewhoseeks

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 07:23:04 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;204744

- One thing I have been trying to find is a list of which offerings are taboo to which gods. I remember seeing one once online, but it seems to have ...

I did read bits and pieces on that, but I can't remember the sources as this was just mentioned as sidemarks:

Rule of thumb - no offerings of impure items/food. Fish are considered not
 pure so they are a no go. When the book on fish cults in Egypt arrives I can delve deeper into this.
Wool is also not proper to offer or even wear.

I may forget something, but as soon as I remember I will post it.

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 10:11:16 pm »
Quote from: Shewhoseeks;204773
I did read bits and pieces on that, but I can't remember the sources as this was just mentioned as sidemarks:

Rule of thumb - no offerings of impure items/food. Fish are considered not
 pure so they are a no go. When the book on fish cults in Egypt arrives I can delve deeper into this.
Wool is also not proper to offer or even wear.

I may forget something, but as soon as I remember I will post it.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the fish taboo wasn't entirely universal, so your mileage my vary on that one. Like, I would offer fish to Sobek, He seems quite keen on that idea. But I might not with my other gods unless They asked for it.

Other than fish, the only other food offering I know has some taboos attached to it is pork, and I have a vague memory that's a Set-related thing. But there may be others I'm forgetting.

I don't really have any specific taboos myself, so I'm a bit rusty on what the old lists contained. I think the extent to which you adhere to the taboos really depends on the sacred space you're keeping, and what your gods ask of you. And if you're a beginner, I wouldn't worry about those too much right now.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Shewhoseeks

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 02:59:45 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;204775
I think I remember reading somewhere that the fish taboo wasn't entirely universal, so your mileage my vary on that one. Like, I would offer fish to Sobek, He seems quite keen on that idea. But I might not with my other gods unless They asked for it.

Well Hatmehyt being first of the fishes I would need to inform myself, which is why I am getting a reprint of that postdoc thesis. I guess a taboo on fish would probably be discussed there - at least I hope so.

I don't really have any specific taboos myself, so I'm a bit rusty on what the old lists contained. I think the extent to which you adhere to the taboos really depends on the sacred space you're keeping, and what your gods ask of you. And if you're a beginner, I wouldn't worry about those too much right now.

:thup:

I remembered now what I forgot: Incense sticks. The ones from India may be crafted with cow dung (sacred stuff to Hinduism). Offering such sticks is a no go due to the (obvious) impurity of excrements. Objects which would have to do with excrements and other impurities would not be suitable.

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 03:21:06 am »
Quote from: Shewhoseeks;204781
Well Hatmehyt being first of the fishes I would need to inform myself, which is why I am getting a reprint of that postdoc thesis. I guess a taboo on fish would probably be discussed there - at least I hope so.

Well, like I said, it's between you and your gods, so whether it's appropriate or not, I can't say. You sound like you've got some interesting research to do, though.

Quote from: Shewhoseeks;204781

I remembered now what I forgot: Incense sticks. The ones from India may be crafted with cow dung (sacred stuff to Hinduism). Offering such sticks is a no go due to the (obvious) impurity of excrements. Objects which would have to do with excrements and other impurities would not be suitable.

Yeah, I've heard this round the traps, too. I think this also depends on what's available to you, and what you can reasonable manage. If you don't want to, or can't, burn resin on charcoal blocks, you could also try Japanese incense. Morning Star incense now comes in frankincense and myrrh scents, so that has become my staple for me. But I've also used some high quality handmade stick incense made here in Australia that I know is dung-free. You could also use an essential oil burner if you can't have smoke. So there are ways to minimise that impurity, it really depends on what you can manage and what's available to you. But I do agree that avoiding the really cheap Indian incense is probably not a terrible idea if you have a better alternative available.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 07:07:10 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;204745
Sticking my nose in here on this one, to note that they're fun *and* worth including! (They're part of our ritual group's seasonal cycle due to the resident Kemetic, and one of my favorite parts.)

There's some similar stuff in some strands of folk witchcraft, but it's definitely a thing people don't do as much of as you'd think.

I was terribly disappointed to pick up a book titled Egyptian Revenge Spells, only to discover that it did not contain a single historical quote. Curses and revenge spells are the one part of Kemetic magic that everyone has heard of.

The ones in Eternal Egypt have some satisfyingly vivid turns of phrase.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 07:20:19 pm »
I think the extent to which you adhere to the taboos really depends on the sacred space you're keeping, and what your gods ask of you. And if you're a beginner, I wouldn't worry about those too much right now.

Thing is, it's a topic that the current Kemetic Recommended Reading Books have virtually no information about, so it would be worthwhile for a new book to include it. Especially for those who are interested in adhering to ritual purity rules, and don't have the resources to wade through academic literature. Especially Especially when much of said literature is in a language they don't speak.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 07:27:02 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;204840
Thing is, it's a topic that the current Kemetic Recommended Reading Books have virtually no information about, so it would be worthwhile for a new book to include it. Especially for those who are interested in adhering to ritual purity rules, and don't have the resources to wade through academic literature. Especially Especially when much of said literature is in a language they don't speak.

I certainly don't disagree that having it all in one place is a good idea, so I'm with you on that front. Anything on how to put the old purity rules into practice would be useful, too, on top of the food taboos. That can feel a little overwhelming too, even to someone who's been doing this for years.

Tags: