Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Learning Ritual Magic by John Michael Greer  (Read 5676 times)

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Contemplative/Christian/Eclectic
Re: Learning Ritual Magic by John Michael Greer
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 10:51:09 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;204387
She also makes interesting youtube videos, fyi, and her book of methods is amazing. Which is what brought her to my attention in the first place, binge-watching Book of Shadows videos.

Book of Methods - similar to a BOS? I'm beginning to think I'm going to need something that will keep all my research in a cohesive structure and that's easy to navigate through and find what I'm looking for. I must look at her videos - thanks for the heads up. I imagine I'll start with whatever I learn in JM Greer's book and keep building on that. :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:52:36 pm by Starlight »
What you seek is seeking you. - Rumi

The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. - CG Jung

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 11:15:17 pm »
Quote from: Starlight;204402
Book of Methods - similar to a BOS? I'm beginning to think I'm going to need something that will keep all my research in a cohesive structure and that's easy to navigate through and find what I'm looking for. I must look at her videos - thanks for the heads up. I imagine I'll start with whatever I learn in JM Greer's book and keep building on that. :)

Something like that, yeah, except not really used in the same way. I think it serves a different function to the way most mainstream Pagans use their books and grimoires, but don't quote me on that. It's just what I've picked up from her videos.

I'd definitely recommend some sort of record and reference keeping thing, even if it's just a binder or two and maybe a journal, while you figure stuff out. You could even keep it as a blog or as documents on your computer, if that's easier to keep organised. Whatever works, y'know?

Because negl I was TERRIBLE at magical record keeping when I was starting out, and I've lost so much of what I tried and experienced back then. I really don't have anything concrete for the first three years or so, after that I got better at at least journalling periodically. And even then, I waited fifteen years before beginning anything resembling a formal Book of Shadows/Grimoire, so don't feel you need to rush into it.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 11:26:34 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;204403
SI'd definitely recommend some sort of record and reference keeping thing, even if it's just a binder or two and maybe a journal, while you figure stuff out. You could even keep it as a blog or as documents on your computer, if that's easier to keep organised. Whatever works, y'know?

A record of some sorts is a great idea. I have a BuJo where I keep everything - to dos, ideas for projects, journalling and so on - and I can see myself continuing with that while I work through the different aspects of my path, only committing something to a more permanent record when it has become a significant and important part of my life.

Book Update: (In case this may be of interest to others)

"Learning Ritual Magic" arrived in the post today - woo hoo!  - and in the meantime, I also purchased
    "Lessons in Magic" by Philip Carr-Gomm and
    some books about Chaos Magic ("Oven-Ready Chaos" and "Condensed Chaos" by Phil Hine (both available for free online));
    Deborah Blake's "Everyday Witchcraft" is available from the library so I've reserved that;
    I've just ordered "The Way of the Hedge Witch" by Arin Murphy-Hiscock (she writes about practices that fall more into what she calls Hearthwitchery), and
    "The Gnostic Celtic Church" by John Michael Greer
    "Sigil Magic: for Writers, Artists, & Other Creatives" had some really good reviews so I bought a copy.

And that should keep me occupied for some time to come. :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:27:20 am by Starlight »

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 12:27:31 pm »
Quote from: Starlight;204687
A record of some sorts is a great idea. I have a BuJo where I keep everything - to dos, ideas for projects, journalling and so on - and I can see myself continuing with that while I work through the different aspects of my path, only committing something to a more permanent record when it has become a significant and important part of my life.

"Learning Ritual Magic" arrived in the post today - woo hoo!  - and in the meantime, I also purchased

some books about Chaos Magic ("Oven-Ready Chaos" and "Condensed Chaos" by Phil Hine (both available for free online));

Deborah Blake's "Everyday Witchcraft" is available from the library so I've reserved that;

I've just ordered "The Way of the Hedge Witch" by Arin Murphy-Hiscock (she writes about practices that fall more into what she calls Hearthwitchery), and

"Sigil Magic: for Writers, Artists, & Other Creatives" had some really good reviews so I bought a copy.

Yeah, that should keep you busy for a while. :) I've only briefly looked into chaos magic, but you could do far worse than read Phil Hine, iirc. Just do a better job at magickal record-keeping than I did (i.e. actually do it) and you should be fine. :D?
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Repaired

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 03:49:10 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;204688
Yeah, that should keep you busy for a while. :) I've only briefly looked into chaos magic, but you could do far worse than read Phil Hine, iirc. Just do a better job at magickal record-keeping than I did (i.e. actually do it) and you should be fine. :D?

I second Phil Hine.

Heim

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 08:28:20 pm »
Quote from: Starlight;204687

I also ordered 'Condensed Chaos' by Phil Hine. I'm really curious about it, so I hope it arrives quickly.

I also hear good things about 'The Elements of Ritual' by Deborah Lipp. I might order that one next.

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 04:31:35 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;204688

Will do. :) (Found a great tutorial on creating a book that looks archaic/antique - cos I love crafting and can't resist! http://www.lizstevensart.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/diygrimoire/)

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 04:34:11 am »
Quote from: Repaired;204695
I second Phil Hine.

:thup: Thank you.

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 04:45:21 am »
Quote from: Heim;204712
I also hear good things about 'The Elements of Ritual' by Deborah Lipp. I might order that one next.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've had a look at the preview on Amazon and it's a well-liked book focused on Wiccan ritual. I'm not really on a Wiccan path myself but it looks like a good read. Enjoy. :)

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2017, 05:40:23 am »
Quote from: Starlight;204720
Will do. :) (Found a great tutorial on creating a book that looks archaic/antique - cos I love crafting and can't resist! http://www.lizstevensart.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/diygrimoire/)

That is probably one of the better Paganish binder DIYs I've seen, actually. Nifty! At the very least, it sets it aside as something special, and not just an everyday binder. I'd love to see what you make when it's done. :)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 05:54:53 pm »
Quote from: Starlight;204721
:thup: Thank you.

Thirded - Condensed Chaos is a classic.

For sigils specifically, I'm going to throw Gordon White at you cos it's online and free: Sigils Reboot: How To Get Big Magic From Little Squiggles.

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 02:19:17 am »
Quote from: Emma Eldritch;204789
For sigils specifically, I'm going to throw Gordon White at you cos it's online and free: Sigils Reboot: How To Get Big Magic From Little Squiggles.

That's great! Thank you. :)

I like what he has to say about continuing the discussion by making the material into a post rather than an ebook. Looks like the discussion is still going 5 years later!

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 02:23:46 am »
Quote from: Emma Eldritch;204789

And wow! How the advertising industry with all its research into why and how advertising works and how Gordon correlates that to sigil magic and its impact on our "low attention processes". Just wow!

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2017, 02:40:33 pm »
Quote from: Starlight;204854
And wow! How the advertising industry with all its research into why and how advertising works and how Gordon correlates that to sigil magic and its impact on our "low attention processes". Just wow!

I'm glad it's useful to you! I'm always gonna be fond of chaos magic, and Gordon's stuff often reminds me of the experimental shit that seemed to be everywhere in the early 2000s, but more sophisticated.

Tags: