"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Working with Trickster Energy - Ideas?  (Read 7829 times)

Zin Aeon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • https://broomclosetjournals.wordpress.com/
Working with Trickster Energy - Ideas?
« on: March 27, 2017, 01:07:23 am »
So, it's not often I run into something that totally throws me for a loop.  I'm feeling a little lost for words on this one and not sure where to start....which almost never happens.

This week, I discovered that a trickster literally saved my life a year ago, and it has taken me this long and MANY times meditating over it to figure it out.

Now, I feel drawn to work with and recognize this energy.  But I have no idea what to do or where to begin.  Please note that I have always had an affinity with tricksters, but this was the strongest thing that has ever happened.

Keep in mind this is not about deities.  I do not worship, please do not try to convince me.  However, please share if you do worship and how you might go about it, if you feel it will help in any way.  I may not share the concept, but I find the beliefs of others fascinating and I am genuinely that stuck that anything might help.

How do you work with trickster energy?  How do you recognize and honor it?  Where do I even begin?

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: Working with Trickster Energy - Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 01:50:31 am »
Quote from: Zin Aeon;204226
How do you work with trickster energy?  How do you recognize and honor it?  Where do I even begin?

1. Find things that need to be poked.
2. Poke them.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 02:44:54 am »
I feel drawn to work with and recognize this energy.  But I have no idea what to do or where to begin.  

(...)

please share if you do worship and how you might go about it, if you feel it will help in any way.  I may not share the concept, but I find the beliefs of others fascinating and I am genuinely that stuck that anything might help.

Hrmm...I recognize the call for it, the skillfulness and grace, and the freedom it brings, and a trickster may not have saved my life but has saved my soul (from conformity. Thanks, Loki, I almost functioned in the only social circle I had ever known.) (Nah, I'm the one who ran with it.)

That said, even after that I still feel and believe that the trickster works against me: against my sense of self, my security, etc.

Tricksters are supposedly excellent at separating what's merely nice (or what's merely a pompous show of moral superiority) from what is truly virtuous, and breaking great power systems using only what's accessible to the disempowered...but, from what I've seen, great disruption only ever truly harms the already disempowered and inconveniences those with enough established foundation to recover. My ideas of tricksters in general have grown into one of conscienceless energy. The benefits happen, yes, but incidentally.

So, with a view of the trickster that's wary admiration at best and overall negative...the worst thing I think I can do is decline to have a trickster around or try to banish any and all of that sort of thing, just because most of the time I don't like it. It's better to know where they are or what they may be up to. I can't put too much blame or condemnation on a trickster I'd found, because it's already a relief to recognize it, that's only the nature of a trickster, and really draws much-needed attention to what the vulnerability was. That said, I don't believe that a trickster necessarily levels off at being a fun breath of fresh air, or "truth standing on its head to get attention"; I believe a trickster can be utterly and unnecessarily devastating.

I have identified strongly enough with a trickster before that I used to think anyone who puts out that trickster-stuff is unnecessary devastation has a lousy attitude towards what's instinctive for our place in the world and inevitable for a life journey. I hope I can remember that even as I disagree, because that identification was valuable work with trickster-type stuff I believe.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:57:30 am »
Quote from: Jack;204228
1. Find things that need to be poked.
2. Poke them.

3. Don't be surprised if you piss off people or accidentally start a flame war.

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 04:26:13 pm »

One way to expel trickster energy and yes there are many. get a picture of yourself when you was feeling week. next purchase a flagon and put the picture inside.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 05:37:32 pm »
Quote from: sevensons;204265
One way to expel trickster energy and yes there are many. get a picture of yourself when you was feeling week. next purchase a flagon and put the picture inside.
I'm not sure if this is a vocabulary issue or not but expelling and honoring seem pretty opposite to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 05:38:58 pm »
Quote from: Tom;204245
3. Don't be surprised if you piss off people or accidentally start a flame war.
"Fine! Leave your stupid snake dripping venom on my face! See if I care! You'll be back!!"

Zin Aeon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • https://broomclosetjournals.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 09:31:33 pm »
Quote from: Jack;204271
"Fine! Leave your stupid snake dripping venom on my face! See if I care! You'll be back!!"

I like you.

But yes, honoring, not expelling.  I do well with swift kicks in the rear and chaotic upturning and restructuring in my life.  I actually enjoy it.  Otherwise I tend to settle and get too comfortable in the mediocre.

Trickster antics make me giggle, and grin, and feel inspired.  Yes, even the really bad ones....ESPECIALLY those.

After all, anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 01:17:24 pm »
Quote from: Jack;204271

So does that make the Lokasenna the Norse equivalent of an epic flounce?

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 01:40:33 pm »
Quote from: Tom;204341
So does that make the Lokasenna the Norse equivalent of an epic flounce?
I like the "rap battle" interpretation but that's not wrong.

The only difference is the Aesir were a little more hardcore about their "post-flounce banning" rules than Randall and the TC staff. ;)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 06:23:38 pm »
Quote from: Zin Aeon;204295

But yes, honoring, not expelling.  I do well with swift kicks in the rear and chaotic upturning and restructuring in my life.  I actually enjoy it.  Otherwise I tend to settle and get too comfortable in the mediocre.

Trickster antics make me giggle, and grin, and feel inspired.  Yes, even the really bad ones....ESPECIALLY those.

After all, anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

Same here. I like the sense that the world is weird and random, and that the universe is stranger than we can imagine. And it's good to remember that normal is optional.

I find that generous doses of minor chaos or eccentricity tend to lessen the chances of major disruptions ... or at least prepare the mind to deal with them. (I honestly think this is why I have less anxiety issues than my mom.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Something

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 03:43:53 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;204352
Same here. I like the sense that the world is weird and random, and that the universe is stranger than we can imagine. And it's good to remember that normal is optional.

I find that generous doses of minor chaos or eccentricity tend to lessen the chances of major disruptions ... or at least prepare the mind to deal with them. (I honestly think this is why I have less anxiety issues than my mom.)

Many times I have read beginners who are set on working with tricksters mostly loki because they think he's just a happy go lucky playful type that just likes to make harmless jokes and so on, I am sure this does not apply to too many but just make sure you know that it doesn't end there, the good things I can say about loki is he is very quick witted and funny although this is usually at the expense of someone else, and he loves to party anything involving alcohol,drugs,sex...  But be warned he has absolutely no compunction in hurting innocent people just for the sake of it so you must protect yourself as much as possible, don't call up the loki and then expect him to behave.. If you want to offer something to him don't bother with things like flowers or incense, try ordering a few pizzas to a neighbours house or cracking a stink bomb in a posh restaurant... But hopefully people won't go to the extent of causing physical harm to others, remember the story of baldur.... same rules apply to us unfortunately.. either way I wish you luck

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 04:51:04 pm »
Quote from: Something;204433
Many times I have read beginners who are set on working with tricksters mostly loki because they think he's just a happy go lucky playful type that just likes to make harmless jokes and so on, I am sure this does not apply to too many but just make sure you know that it doesn't end there, the good things I can say about loki is he is very quick witted and funny although this is usually at the expense of someone else, and he loves to party anything involving alcohol,drugs,sex...  But be warned he has absolutely no compunction in hurting innocent people just for the sake of it so you must protect yourself as much as possible, don't call up the loki and then expect him to behave.. If you want to offer something to him don't bother with things like flowers or incense, try ordering a few pizzas to a neighbours house or cracking a stink bomb in a posh restaurant... But hopefully people won't go to the extent of causing physical harm to others, remember the story of baldur.... same rules apply to us unfortunately.. either way I wish you luck

Not like Odin's any safer tbh. No god is "safe". And Loki actually doesn't hurt people for no reason whatsoever. Even in the Baldr story, he was showing that stuff happens regardless of how many protections have been put into place to protect oneself. Sometimes parents suffer through the death of their children and honestly, there's more than one version of Baldur's death and Loki isn't responsible in every version.

(So many people forget about Odin's trickster aspect.)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 05:08:35 pm »
Quote from: Tom;204442
Not like Odin's any safer tbh. No god is "safe". And Loki actually doesn't hurt people for no reason whatsoever. Even in the Baldr story, he was showing that stuff happens regardless of how many protections have been put into place to protect oneself. Sometimes parents suffer through the death of their children and honestly, there's more than one version of Baldur's death and Loki isn't responsible in every version.

(So many people forget about Odin's trickster aspect.)
This. So much.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 06:13:23 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;204443
This. So much.

Yeah. They're not tame lions, after all. ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tags: